OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm excited to see what ridiculous, belligerent, illegal, embarrassing stuff NYCFC do this weekend. While their team gets outclassed on the pitch.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Confederations cup talk?

Rooting for Mexico to rep the region well. I hope they make it far.

I put in a tiny wager on Chile at +250 to win the whole thing so that's my biggest rooting interest.

Overall, it has been a decent tournament. I just love international competitions as a whole so maybe I'm bias, but there have been some really fun matches. However, I am NOT a fan of the VAR and I hope that they do away with it before next summer. Goal line technology is great (to avoid a Lampard vs Germany in 2010 scenario), but leave some human element to it. The most exciting play in this sport is a big goal at a critical moment. I hate that it is now kind of tainted due to everyone hesitating to see if the ref is going to make that stupid square motion to indicate that it is going up to the VAR.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Let them celebrate and review the goal anyway. They've got at least a minute to identify something like offsides.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Rooting for Mexico to rep the region well. I hope they make it far.

I put in a tiny wager on Chile at +250 to win the whole thing so that's my biggest rooting interest.

Overall, it has been a decent tournament. I just love international competitions as a whole so maybe I'm bias, but there have been some really fun matches. However, I am NOT a fan of the VAR and I hope that they do away with it before next summer. Goal line technology is great (to avoid a Lampard vs Germany in 2010 scenario), but leave some human element to it. The most exciting play in this sport is a big goal at a critical moment. I hate that it is now kind of tainted due to everyone hesitating to see if the ref is going to make that stupid square motion to indicate that it is going up to the VAR.

Also slows momentum down.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Let them celebrate and review the goal anyway. They've got at least a minute to identify something like offsides.

It doesn't necessarily take out human error. Are they using technology similar to tennis and their line technology?

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Well as BC said, the Goal Line Tech is pretty straight forward and relatively immediate.

VAR is a different story but something like offsides is handled by many TV production crews very easily.

Implementation will have its hiccups but goals that were legally scored should always count no matter the time needed to confirm them. Of course it would be for the best if it was quick and easy but that won't always be the case

Aug 10, 2010
NJ
All major leagues and top international FIFA competitions should have goal line technology. The its to expensive excuse is complete BS

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Dear god could you imagine if soccer became like the NHL and you could overturn a goal challenging a missed offsides? :laugh:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm surprised anyone would be against computerized tools that could at least potentially deter some of the omnipresent FIFA corruption.

I think instant replay should be used for handball calls (on noncalls) in the box and offsides challenges too so there's not another bizarre Henry incident (both offsides & an obvious handball). Something like the NHL where each team gets one challenge per game.

Aug 10, 2010
NJ
They need to have the fourth official handling the VAR calls instead of having the head referee run off the field to take a look at it. The fourth official should be constantly monitoring it on a screen

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I'm surprised anyone would be against computerized tools that could at least potentially deter some of the omnipresent FIFA corruption.

I think instant replay should be used for handball calls (on noncalls) in the box and offsides challenges too so there's not another bizarre Henry incident (both offsides & an obvious handball). Something like the NHL where each team gets one challenge per game.

The Henry incident was a perfect bit of karma. Ireland received a ******** PK call against Georgia in the previous game to even get in that position.

All worked itself out as that France team stunk up the joint in South Africa.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Just a small anecdote about video review. I'm sure the technology will change and improve but last year at Metlife for Copa the line was off by a couple inches so the ball had to be about a half foot into the goal for it to work. I think it's a good thing for the sport overall but I don't think the technology is there yet

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
god, i hope the metro trounce boy city this weekend. my birthday on saturday is looking lit af with kegs and eggs and a 1:30 kickoff.

as for salah, apparently he's undergoing the longest medical in athletic history or something right now.

The Henry incident was a perfect bit of karma. Ireland received a ******** PK call against Georgia in the previous game to even get in that position.

All worked itself out as that France team stunk up the joint in South Africa.

hmmm, i agree.

snappa.static.pressassociation.ioassets201605042140381462394437-7a6585bfc9e3d7a1a04722813733005d-1038x576-7eec2b621481f7377d10d84b960fc5a7b4ecec91-620x390.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->