Goodnow gonzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Hoss said:
After reading so many rabid responses to this transistion in power I have come to the conclusion that it's a good thing Goodenow is leaving for the fact it gives a visible scapegoat to those who cannot bring themselves to recognize Bettman's own culpability in the lost season.

In your opinion, what could/should Bettman have done differently to both save the season and the longterm viability of the league?

And, second part to the question, would your proposal as to what he should/could have done been approved of by enough owners?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Brewleaguer said:
Let me ask you, what has Bettman done for the game of hockey?
See, you cant answer my question because Goodenow didn’t do anything good for the game (This thread is about Goodenow. If you want to talk about Bettman, start a new thread).

He was a cancer to the game and the whole league will benefit by his absence. Hence the celebration.

If he was injoured in a car accident and people celebrated, that would be low. This isnt.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Cawz said:
See, you cant answer my question because Goodenow didn’t do anything good for the game (This thread is about Goodenow. If you want to talk about Bettman, start a new thread).

He was a cancer to the game and the whole league will benefit by his absence. Hence the celebration.

If he was injoured in a car accident and people celebrated, that would be low. This isnt.

Bold note: Same can be said right back at you.

This THREAD is about Goodenow stepping down, NOT what he or Bettman has done or not done for the league.

You want to talk about what they have or not have done for the league.... START a new thread!

ResidentAlien*

Brewleaguer said:
WOW didn't know we had someone with an opened mind to this coversation. Buy you a cup of joe?
I've gotten into a few of these type of discussions in the past here, it's usually a lost cause.
You are right though, celebrating stuff like this is just plain silly

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ResidentAlien said:
celebrating stuff like this is just plain silly
Bob Goodenow has committed the grievous sin of pride. God has brought him low for his arrogance. The justice of the Most High is what we celebrate today.

All praise be to God! Hosannah in the highest!

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
ResidentAlien said:
I've gotten into a few of these type of discussions in the past here, it's usually a lost cause.
You are right though, celebrating stuff like this is just plain silly

Well sure it is, but I am not trying to change peoples minds about Goodenow, just making them think about their actions, maybe grow up a little bit. :dunno:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Brewleaguer said:
Bold note: Same can be said right back at you.

This THREAD is about Goodenow stepping down, NOT what he or Bettman has done or not done for the league.

You want to talk about what they have or not have done for the league.... START a new thread!
What? This thread is about Goodenow stepping down. What does that have to do with Bettman.

I asked a question about Goodenow, and you avoided it by asking one about Bettman. The questions about Goodenow is related to why he is not in his previous position anymore, and definatly related to peoples reaction to his stepping down. Do you not see that, or are you just being stubborn?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by Brewleaguer
Really, then why all the celebration hoppla over Goodenow stepping down. Sounds to me there are a lot of pro-owners hanging in there.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I was only 'pro hockey', start to finish. I wanted what was best for the game, owners & players were secondary.

Your fight is like trying to refight the US civil war. The war is over and it is time to move on from this.

And hopefully today is a step towards better days ahead for management/labour negotiations in the NHL.

So I definitely celebrate.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The man single most responsible for the loss of a billion dollars salary for the people who trusted him, single most responsible for hockey's dark age of lockout, single most responsible for uncalculable future losses over anachronistic principles undefendable in today's day and age, is gone?

Yep. Celebration definately feels like the right response to me. And if it upsets a PA shill or two... it just makes it that much sweeter.

Sayanora, Bob. You were the worst thing to happen to hockey in history. Now maybe the players will have a leader who can actually work with people...

:D

SENSible1*

Finally the players offer the only apology I cared to hear. Not some insincere finger pointing by a bitter and vanquished foe, but an outright admission that they were fools to follow this clown down the path he choose.

Pushing this egomaniacal jackass off the cliff, albeit with a golden parachute I'm sure, is all I wanted from them.

Bye-Bye Bobby. History will judge your incompetence harshly.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
In terms of "stepping down", Goodenow stated at the news conference that he took a package or settlement of a portion of the remaining years on his contract after stating last week that he intended to complete the remaining years of his contract. He was pushed, dumped, fired or whatever verb one wants to use but it wasn't exactly a voluntary act.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This is a great day, we should celebrate, this guy helped destroy hockey just like Bettman did. We should really hope for both of them to be jobless for the next century. I cant believe they also gave him 10mil, thats insane. It doesnt really matter though because BG's firing put a big smile on a my mouth and brightened my day. This is ghreat for hockey, the NHLPA and even Bob Goodenow. Why? Because he made so many people happy by stepping down. What a great day. Lets hope Bettman also loses his job. Brewleager can join them too.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Oh Vlad, we both know Bob Goodenow really has very little to do with the league's problems. ;) But we'll argue about this on MSN later.

FlyerFan

Jun 4, 2005
Query. Why do you you pro-owners (or fans with selective memories) use Bob Goodenow as a scapegoat when it was the LEAGUE that spent itself into their own mess, locked out the players, and then canceled the season?

ResidentAlien*

oh boy..here we go again.
Because if you arent pro-owner you are a shill and have no brains...according to most people here anyway

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
bcrt2000 said:
Ted Saskin should be the one who presents the Conn Smythe Trophy, and Bill Daly the one who presents the Stanley Cup... they deserve it after all the hard work they've put in... I wouldn't be surprised if Daly becomes more and more the face of the NHL to the fans in the next 4-7 years

What? No Gary Bettman???? The person so many on this board insist is the best thing to ever happen to the NHL?? The savior of hockey in Canada (Winnipeg, Quebec)??? You don`t want the greatest hockey mind ever to present the Stanley Cup?? You must obviously be part of the evil pro-PA conspiracy, because not only should Bettman get to present the Stanley Cup, they should rename it the Bettman Cup in honour of all his sacrifices.

In case the kool-aid drinking Bettman shills didn`t understand, I was being sarcastic.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
FlyerFan said:
Query. Why do you you pro-owners (or fans with selective memories) use Bob Goodenow as a scapegoat when it was the LEAGUE that spent itself into their own mess, locked out the players, and then canceled the season?

It was Goodenow's unwillingness to work out a deal that made the league's problems even worse and the cancellation of the season. That's why so many people are happy to see him leave.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
FlyerFan said:

It was not the LEAGUE, it was certain club members, an extremely well-organized NHLPA and agent network, an inflationary arbitration system that limpet-mined to every stupid signing by a few owners, and loaded teams like NYR that created this mess.

Left to their own devices, five or six owners would have continued to escalate salaries, even if it meant operating at a loss in order to do so, placing many if not most of the good players out of reach of teams who wanted or needed to operate at a break-even point.

Goodenow isn't the scapegoat for the last ten years - they exploited a system that the owners crammed down Bettman's throat. It is simply unfortunate that Goodenow didn't realize that times were changing, and he was unwilling to come to the table until his bluff was called by Bettman's cancelling the season.

Look at the other threads, look at Pittsburgh, and the excitement of fans of small to mid markets who actually have a shot at building a contender with good management, rather than just having a parent corporation acting as an ATM machine, willing to lose money year after year in order to win the cup.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Bye bye Bob.:cry:

That's one major roadblock to a long term healthty league gone for good.

Long live the the NHL.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad