Goodnow gonzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC2k2*

When a person is incompetent it is not improper to be fired. When that person's lack of competence has cost a lot of people a lot of money, from owners to players to locker room attendants to ushers, his removal is a matter for celebration.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Brewleaguer said:
How pathetic. My god it's a sad day when you see people celebrating someone giving up their job. :shakehead You should be ashamed.
Boo freakin hoo. If someone performs this poorly at his job, which costs many other people their livelyhood (players, and all the numerous other people who lost a year of their income), why should we not celebrate his self-imposed ousting? He will be merrily missed. Its nothing personal, its just business.

Do you feel this bad for all the players who get cut from hockey teams due to not performing? If someone was this much of a cancer on a team, people would be cheering when he got bought-out/traded/waived as well.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Hasbro said:
He's got a $10 million dollar severence package and has a job waiting for him in the MLBPA. Good ridance

OK life isn't all about money. Maybe, just maybe he loved the work, being that he's got a long standing tie to hockey, but felt it was time to move on...
But there you are celebrating it. Pathetic in every way.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Well...

gscarpenter2002 said:
I agree with your post, excepting only the 2 year part. It is fairly common knowledge that, while goodenow said 2 years to the media, he had privately reassured the players that the owners would crack as they had before.

I have said it before and will say it again. Bob Goodenow was and is a guy who is almost entirely incompetent. He had/has no "game" as a negotiator or as a businessman and was in the position he was in atop the NHLPA only through being in the right place at the right time. His judgment was horrendous, his strategy was patently egomaniacal and willfully blind, and his tactics were those of a rank amateur. A first year lawyer would have performed better (which is pretty bad, lemme tell ya).

it really is hard to say.

From the outside, it definately looked to be a tremendously weak strategy.

And if he told the players the owners would crack in 6months - a year, he should have been punted 6 months ago.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Brewleaguer said:
Loose your job and then come on back and tell just how brighter the sun is. Classless!

I have no class.

I will say, though, that when I fire an employee, it is as a last resort, I hate it, I discuss it with my wife, try to make it work, think of what else he or she may be good at, make some phone calls to see if there are positions they are better suited for, and only then pull the trigger.

It is the worst part about owning a business, but a necessary one, because I have my own kids who depend on me to keep a roof over their heads.

Goodenow was a schmuck who cost his members an inordinate amount of money, and his "loosing" his job was the best thing to ever happen to the fans, the players, and the owners.

As I said, this makes me a person without class, and that is a cross I shall have to bear.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Cawz said:
Boo freakin hoo. If someone performs this poorly at his job, which costs many other people their livelyhood (players, and all the numerous other people who lost a year of their income), why should we not celebrate his self-imposed ousting? He will be merrily missed. Its nothing personal, its just business.

Do you feel this bad for all the players who get cut from hockey teams due to not performing? If someone was this much of a cancer on a team, people would be cheering when he got bought-out/traded/waived as well.

Maybe Bettman also should look in to his career miror in the same manner.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Brewleaguer said:
OK life isn't all about money. Maybe, just maybe he loved the work, being that he's got a long standing tie to hockey, but felt it was time to move on...
But there you are celebrating it. Pathetic in every way.
Did you pay attention to the lockout, it was all about money.

GSC2k2*

Brewleaguer said:
Maybe Bettman also should look in to his career miror in the same manner.
He would determine that he performed exceptionally, without a material misstep. He achieved every single goal he needed to achieve. He will be the commissioner for as long as he wants the job.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I look at this positively because maybe, just maybe the sides can get together next time and negotiate a deal without any lost games. (remember that we also lost half a season in 94/95).

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Timmy said:
....Goodenow was a schmuck who cost his members an inordinate amount of money, and his "loosing" his job was the best thing to ever happen to the fans, the players, and the owners.....

LOL OMG HE COST his members an inordinate amount of money... He fought tooth and nail for them, but it was the owners’ steadfastness, lost of the season and loss of some fan support that made Goodenow worked out a deal to get the GAME back on the ice.
He did the fans, players and owners a big favor....Get a deal done so they can back to PLAYING the game....that’s what it is all about.

If you’re a pro-owner making a statement like "cost his members an inordinate amount of money" is hypocritical. You guys wanted the players to loose an inordinate amount of money..... :shakehead

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
AM said:
it continues.

Goodenow told them they'd have to wait 2 years to get the deal they wanted.

But he pays the price?

Still he should have led them to the deal they have now a year ago...

Unfortuneately it shows how greedy the players have been, and how far their mental picture of the NHL had to change to get to a place where NHL hockey can grow.
But hockey players are just that - hockey players. They put their trust in the head of their union, since most dont have the smarts or the interest to care about all the aspects of the business side of the game. They just want to play.

The "wait 2 years" quip was bad advise from the start. Goodenow was in that position to make decisions and advise the players, and he failed.

Like in the real world if a client pays an expert for a project, he puts his trust in the expert to get the job done. Most of the time the client doesnt really know what is involved, so its up to the expert to advise accordingly. If, after a year, the client decides that the expert isnt working in his best interest since nothing is getting done, its not the clients fault for trusting the expert at the start.

People shouldnt fault the players for any of this. They follow the advise of their expert(s). Their experts let them down.

Most people here knew "be prepared for 2 years off" was horrible advise. I'd get fired or sued if I gave advise comparable to that.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Steve L said:
I wouldnt give a flying **** what anyone said if Id earned tens of millions of dollars.

You seriously expect people to feel sorry for him? What a fool.

Did I say that?? NO! I am say show some class!

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
AM said:
it continues.

Goodenow told them they'd have to wait 2 years to get the deal they wanted.

But he pays the price?

Still he should have led them to the deal they have now a year ago...

Unfortuneately it shows how greedy the players have been, and how far their mental picture of the NHL had to change to get to a place where NHL hockey can grow.

"Maybe there shouldn't be franchises there"

Thats a paraphrase of the opinion that had to, should of, and did change.

The whole "wait 2 years" was a failed strategy from the start. Even if the players did get the deal they were asking for, the 2 lost years of revenues (at least $2B... possibly $2.5-$3B) would not be covered by the "gains" for the players over the next 10 years. As well, privately he was telling the players that the owners would never cancel a season.

Now that they aren't mesmerized anymore and now that they've looked at outside views and opinions, the players can only see how flawed their strategy was (and how bad it was!) and that they were misled all along. Without trust in the people that represents you, nothing can be done, so Goodenow had to go.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
He would determine that he performed exceptionally, without a material misstep. He achieved every single goal he needed to achieve. He will be the commissioner for as long as he wants the job.

Until the owners fire him.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Brewleaguer said:
LOL OMG HE COST his members an inordinate amount of money... He fought tooth and nail for them, but it was the owners’ steadfastness, lost of the season and loss of some fan support that made Goodenow worked out a deal to get the GAME back on the ice.He did the fans, players and owners a big favor....Get a deal done so they can back to PLAYING the game....that’s what it is all about.

If you’re a pro-owner making a statement like "cost his members an inordinate amount of money" is hypocritical. You guys wanted the players to loose an inordinate amount of money..... :shakehead

I'm pretty sure your post is going to generate a fair dinkum bunch of responses, but the owners' steadfastness is a compliment, I don't think this is Goodenow's CBA, and the fans and players would owe BG a "thank you" if he had started all this two years ago, so no games were lost.

Furthermore, we don't want the players to lose money (I'm assuming you're referring to the cap, rollbacks, etc), we simply want the sport we love to survive, and with salaries eating up three-quarters of the revenue, that wasn't going to happen at the previous rate of increases in salaries.

However, I'm also hypocritical, I suppose.

And classless.

And ashamed. Deeply, deeply, ashamed.

*hangs head*

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Brewleaguer said:
He did the fans, players and owners a big favor....Get a deal done so they can back to PLAYING the game....that’s what it is all about.
His only strategy was to sit out 2 years thus costing hundreds of normal people their jobs, the barmen, the event staff etc.

All this to try and make millionaires even richer, I find that sickening and find it quite comical that youre defending him and expecting us to feel sorry for him when youre totally ignoring that his whole strategy cost a lot of people their jobs.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Brewleaguer said:
LOL OMG HE COST his members an inordinate amount of money... He fought tooth and nail for them, but it was the owners’ steadfastness, lost of the season and loss of some fan support that made Goodenow worked out a deal to get the GAME back on the ice.
So if someone surrenders when all hope is lost, they are doing everyone a favor? You got some weird logic there son.

They werent taking the high road, they finally saw the light and signed a deal before things got worse. Even reading quotes from some players illustrates this.

Brewleaguer said:
Are you high? This makes absolutely no sence.

GSC2k2*

*Wacks Timmy with a rolled up newspaper*

Bad Timmy!!!! BAD TIMMY!!!! BAD!!!

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Timmy said:
I'm pretty sure your post is going to generate a fair dinkum bunch of responses, but the owners' steadfastness is a compliment, I don't think this is Goodenow's CBA, and the fans and players would owe BG a "thank you" if he had started all this two years ago, so no games were lost.

Furthermore, we don't want the players to lose money (I'm assuming you're referring to the cap, rollbacks, etc), we simply want the sport we love to survive, and with salaries eating up three-quarters of the revenue, that wasn't going to happen at the previous rate of increases in salaries.

However, I'm also hypocritical, I suppose.

And classless.

And ashamed. Deeply, deeply, ashamed.

*hangs head*

Bold points note: Yes I am sure it will... Yes it is a compliment, I have no problem with giving credit were credit is do.....He didn't have to start this 2 years ago, a deal is a deal, IMHO Bettman shouldn't have caved in 10 years ago, to me it's was the match igniting the fuse..... And so did Goodenow THATS why he worked out this deal, to move on, for you, for me, players and the league.... But here we have a whole much of people (if that's what you want to call them) celebrating.... Sad to say the least.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Steve L said:
His only strategy was to sit out 2 years thus costing hundreds of normal people their jobs, the barmen, the event staff etc.

All this to try and make millionaires even richer, I find that sickening and find it quite comical that youre defending him and expecting us to feel sorry for him when youre totally ignoring that his whole strategy cost a lot of people their jobs.

He didn't have to sit down and re-negotiate anything. If Bettman had gotten it right 10 years ago, this sh*t wouldn't have even taken place.

I am in NO WAY trying to make you feel sorry for anyone.

I can't stand Bettman, but I wouldn't celebrate the loss of his job, that's beneath me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad