Goodnow gonzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Not surprised or upset at this decision, Goodenow was unable to broker the deal he promised the players. Too bad he will be remembered for this "failure" and not the good things he did to build the NHLPA.

Trevor Linden said:
Every NHL Player has benefited enormously from Bob's leadership and dedication. He has been a tireless advocate for the Players and he dramatically improved the Players' situation in every respect. Bob built the NHLPA into a first class organization and we are all very grateful to him.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Ted Saskin should be the one who presents the Conn Smythe Trophy, and Bill Daly the one who presents the Stanley Cup... they deserve it after all the hard work they've put in... I wouldn't be surprised if Daly becomes more and more the face of the NHL to the fans in the next 4-7 years

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
And so....

it continues.

Goodenow told them they'd have to wait 2 years to get the deal they wanted.

But he pays the price?

Still he should have led them to the deal they have now a year ago...

Unfortuneately it shows how greedy the players have been, and how far their mental picture of the NHL had to change to get to a place where NHL hockey can grow.

"Maybe there shouldn't be franchises there"

Thats a paraphrase of the opinion that had to, should of, and did change.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
what some of you don't understand is that you think Goodenow represents you, well HE DOESN'T! His union gave him certain responsibilties and deservingly so after leading them 10 yrs ago. Did he fail this time? I think Yes but that can be argued. At the end of the day, that was a guy trying to do his job under very difficult circumstances with no way to win but only 50 possibly ways to lose. He's stepping down now but don't hate the guy.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
AM said:
it continues.

But he pays the price?

Unfortuneately it shows how greedy the players have been, and how far their mental picture of the NHL had to change to get to a place where NHL hockey can grow.

i think the problem was that goodenow
a) didn't look at the levitt report
b) tried to trick the players into unity by saying its a matter of principle

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
When Goodenow was on TV answering media's questions about him stepping down or moving on, and he said that he was excited to stay and can't wait... I just thought to myself...

"LIAR"

It held true.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Komisarek8 said:
what some of you don't understand is that you think Goodenow represents you, well HE DOESN'T! His union gave him certain responsibilties and deservingly so after leading them 10 yrs ago. Did he fail this time? I think Yes but that can be argued. At the end of the day, that was a guy trying to do his job under very difficult circumstances with no way to win but only 50 possibly ways to lose. He's stepping down now but don't hate the guy.

To use a hockey analogy, if Goodenow was a player in the last three major negotiations, he would be compared to a guy who drops the gloves and then turtles until his opponent gets tired of punching his back and concedes defeat from sheer exhaustion.

He is not negotiator so much as an attrition warrior, a stance that worked ten years ago and before he was with the NHLPA, but not today...

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Timmy said:
To use a hockey analogy, if Goodenow was a player in the last three major negotiations, he would be compared to a guy who drops the gloves and then turtles until his opponent gets tired of punching his back and concedes defeat from sheer exhaustion.

He is not negotiator so much as an attrition warrior, a stance that worked ten years ago and before he was with the NHLPA, but not today...

that's fine, that was a problem that everybody knew about. He doesn't have to answer to you though. He tried to do his job the best way he can. He is a proud guy and worked very hard. Some people try to take it personal but this is just BUSINESS!

GSC2k2*

AM said:
it continues.

But he pays the price?

I agree with your post, excepting only the 2 year part. It is fairly common knowledge that, while goodenow said 2 years to the media, he had privately reassured the players that the owners would crack as they had before.

I have said it before and will say it again. Bob Goodenow was and is a guy who is almost entirely incompetent. He had/has no "game" as a negotiator or as a businessman and was in the position he was in atop the NHLPA only through being in the right place at the right time. His judgment was horrendous, his strategy was patently egomaniacal and willfully blind, and his tactics were those of a rank amateur. A first year lawyer would have performed better (which is pretty bad, lemme tell ya).

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
He doesn't deserve this level of flak. He was just doing his job, trying to get the best deal for his union, not himself. He did make a mistake. He overestimated the union's solidarity in the face of losing a season.

Saskin shouldn't be holding the reins long-term. The NHLPA needs to hire a bulldog, either one from the MLBPA or an experienced negotiator from one of the labor unions.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Komisarek8 said:
that's fine, that was a problem that everybody knew about. He doesn't have to answer to you though. He tried to do his job the best way he can. He is a proud guy and worked very hard. Some people try to take it personal but this is just BUSINESS!

A guy in a staring contest may be appearing to work very hard, but all he really wants is for the other guy to blink first.

He did not do his job, he simply sat back and waited for the owners to implode like they always did.

When subsequent offers got worse after the season was cancelled, his membership saw which way the wind was blowing and shoved him aside. The Executive may have worked hard, but he sat on his hands and stared at the owners, convinced that in another year they would, indeed, blink.

Goodenow's bosses didn't see it that way, and took over.

I don't think anyone takes it personally - it is just business, and one that will now have the chance to thrive.

This is not the first time he has used this staredown tactic, and while you may think that it is "hard work" to refute any and all offers, I don't.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:

Pro PA people probably could make an argument that Bob didn't fail, the players abondoned him, but I think thats a cop out. At the end of the day, he's supposed to represent the players. He can claim tha he'll get them the best deal possible, saying they have to be prepaired to sit out a full 2 years to do so. Obviously in hindsight the players weren't prepared to do that, he wasn't on the same page as them as he should've been. So while he deservse credit for past accomplishment, he really dropped the ball this time around.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Le Golie said:
The Score just reported that Bob Goodnow has stepped down and Ted Saskin has assumed control of the NHLPA.
How pathetic. My god it's a sad day when you see people celebrating someone giving up their job. :shakehead You should be ashamed.

GSC2k2*

Brewleaguer said:
How pathetic. My god it's a sad day when you see people celebrating someone giving up their job. :shakehead You should be ashamed.
Sacrifice the one for the many.

Plus, i don't see where "shame" enters into the equation.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Brewleaguer said:

I started crying when I heard the news, and I'm not a crying man.

The flowers seem just a little bit nicer, the sun a little brighter, my wife's butt a little smoother, and the birds a little more tuneful.

I am, indeed, a happy man today, and will pay for my sin when I die.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
Sacrifice the one for the many.

Plus, i don't see where "shame" enters into the equation.

Shame to look in the mirror and see yourself as cold and classless person (not saying you, but 'for the many') that he quit and then celibrate it. :shakehead

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Brewleaguer said:
He's got a $10 million dollar severence package and has a job waiting for him in the MLBPA. Good ridance

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Timmy said:
I started crying when I heard the news, and I'm not a crying man.

The flowers seem just a little bit nicer, the sun a little brighter, my wife's butt a little smoother, and the birds a little more tuneful.

I am, indeed, a happy man today, and will pay for my sin when I die.

Loose your job and then come on back and tell just how brighter the sun is. Classless!

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Brewleaguer said:
Loose your job and then come on back and tell just how brighter the sun is. Classless!
He doesn't have to work another day in his life with that severence. It's not like he's an autoworker.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
For that severance package I would 'loose' my job today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad