Goodenow Leaves New York, No Deal - per TSN, 590

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Wolfpack said:
I simply cannot fathom the money that these players are willing to walk away from. If the average NHL career is 8 years, which I'm thinking is probably a bit too high in reality... not getting paid for a season is equivalent to 5 years of no salary for us working stiffs! Could you imagine going 5 years without getting paid, or moving to Europe and making 1/10th of your salary for 5 years? It's insane to give up that kind of money. That's $10+ million dollars that Chris Pronger will never see again! These guys are obviously living in a completely different world than the rest of us.

Actually the NHLPA has cited the figure for an average career of 4 years . . . I did a quick google and found one reference using that number, but have heard that number referrenced before:

So what do they care if Joe Schmedlap, the third line left winger for the Nashville Predators, loses a season or two? Obviously they don’t care and that’s where the rank and file members of the NHLPA should be more vocal about what their concerns are and they should be asking for a vote on the offer put forth by the NHL.

Schmedlap and the rest of the third and fourth liners and fifth and sixth defensemen on all NHL teams have a very small window of opportunity to make a lot of money. Yes they won’t make much because their careers last maybe 3 or 4 years, but it’s more important for them to get the chance than it is for guys like Joe Thornton. You see when the 28 year old Schmedlap goes back to work (maybe next January) he’ll be 29 and every team will be looking at the 22 or 23 year olds who have been playing in the AHL or college hockey for the past season.

http://www.ltvnews.com/editorial.php?recordID=162

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well, I don't care about what anyone here has to say...

Something happened, that broke down negotiations, either someone went back on an agreement or something...

Listening to comments from Saskin saying "there was no progress" is insulting to us fans, you're trying to tell me that both sides met for a cumulative total of about 13 hours, and no progress was made? Maybe they can fool some naive people on this board, but not me, something happened, this isin't over yet folks, maybe Bettman realized that the players would finally accept a cap, and backed off an agreement which had some type of deal where the cap didin't come into effect until after the luxury tax didin't work, I don't know :dunno:

I think comments from players llike JR, Jackman, Thibault, etc. probably indicated to Bettman, that if he pushes just a bit more, they could get what they wanted, which would explain Goodenow's demeanor...

Either way, i'm interested to see what's going to happen in the immediate future

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
NHL Comment

Collective bargaining update
NEW YORK (February 4, 2005) - National Hockey League Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer Bill Daly today released this statement following a collective bargaining meeting with representatives of the NHL Players' Association:

"We had extensive and constructive talks over the past two days. While there are no future meetings scheduled, we have agreed to keep the lines of communication open.

"Despite several media reports to the contrary, we have no intention of making any further announcement relating to collective bargaining or the status of the season at this time."

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
NEW YORK (February 4, 2005) - National Hockey League Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer Bill Daly today released this statement following a collective bargaining meeting with representatives of the NHL Players' Association:

"We had extensive and constructive talks over the past two days. While there are no future meetings scheduled, we have agreed to keep the lines of communication open.

"Despite several media reports to the contrary, we have no intention of making any further announcement relating to collective bargaining or the status of the season at this time."

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/generated/7futtUvY06.html

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
Well, I don't care about what anyone here has to say...

Something happened, that broke down negotiations, either someone went back on an agreement or something...

Listening to comments from Saskin saying "there was no progress" is insulting to us fans, you're trying to tell me that both sides met for a cumulative total of about 13 hours, and no progress was made? Maybe they can fool some naive people on this board, but not me, something happened, this isin't over yet folks, maybe Bettman realized that the players would finally accept a cap, and backed off an agreement which had some type of deal where the cap didin't come into effect until after the luxury tax didin't work, I don't know :dunno:

I think comments from players llike JR, Jackman, Thibault, etc. probably indicated to Bettman, that if he pushes just a bit more, they could get what they wanted, which would explain Goodenow's demeanor...

Either way, i'm interested to see what's going to happen in the immediate future

I wonder if these comments the players have made could maybe pushed back the NHL decision to cancel the season? If Bettman see cracks in the rank he might just go for broke? I dont know. But i agree i dont think how they can meet for 13 hours and not get anything done. Wonder iof Bettman told Goodenow to let the players vote. Maybe that pissed off Bob

ttoad4000t

Dec 14, 2004
Fort Worth, Texas
PitkanenPower said:

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/generated/7futtUvY06.html

wtf

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

so that tells us exactly nothing, wonderful statement

i'm sick of these guys

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
ttoad4000t said:

Maybe they all have a deal to see how long they can keep saying the same STOOPID phrase before a fan ends up capping one of them....

Lines of communication?????? Jeeeezzzzzeeeeee......

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
chiavsfan said:
So......the talks were constructive, but no progress was made? This is just stupid now. It can no longer even be catagorized as a circus...it's now pathetic

I agree completely......

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
Either make a deal or cancel the season. This is beyond pathetic.

Keep stringing along the "hardcore fans" and even the hardcore fans may not come back.

myself, I'll go watch the ECHL team that is even closer to where I live then the NHL team.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
That's why you can't let yourself ride the rollercoaster. Optimism was high last night, but its not done until is signed, and as another wise poster said, they are putting on the stupid hats. Today this, and people are slashing wrists, blaming everyone from bob and gary, to the rank and file players (who have as little control over this thing as you and i do, imo), to my lhasa apso. They haven't cancelled the season, so it isn't over. Until you hear definitively one way or the other, theres still hope.

When they cancel the season, thats when I'll join the hockey fan lynch squad. Till then, its just more of the same old rhetoric.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
How is this surprising to any of you. Over the last couple of weeks, both parties have said the exact same things after the meetings broke off. The NHLPA has been negative, while the NHL has been mildly positive.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
I don't see how they can have a season now. There just isn't time. Even if a deal had been signed today a season would have been. Take this any furthur and it is impossible schedule wise.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
This is rediculous. Time to announce the season is dead and then I guess I turn my full attention to the MLB now.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
krandor said:
I don't see how they can have a season now. There just isn't time. Even if a deal had been signed today a season would have been. Take this any furthur and it is impossible schedule wise.

they would have had a season... hell the owners proposal had playoff money for this year included as part of it. can't have playoffs without a season.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
kerrly said:
How is this surprising to any of you. Over the last couple of weeks, both parties have said the exact same things after the meetings broke off. The NHLPA has been negative, while the NHL has been mildly positive.

I plan on going to the Video store and renting Groundhogs Day.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
Jester said:
they would have had a season... hell the owners proposal had playoff money for this year included as part of it. can't have playoffs without a season.

If done this weekend a season would be hard to schedule but was doable. They just can't push it back anymore.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bruins4Ever said:
I had remained optimistic through this whole thing. I read all the 50 page long meeting threads, hoping to find some hope for a new season. Now that this has happened, it seems like a waste of my time. Hoping for nothing, and it's really a bad feeling. I was hoping something would come out of today, and now there's nothing left. I don't think there's anything more I can say. :shakehead :(

Ditto.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
anyone heard anything at all about Bettman giving a press conference? This is strange that Bob storms out of there and nothing is said from the NHL camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad