Goodenow Leaves New York, No Deal - per TSN, 590

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAKUS*

Betteman and Goodenow should be fire on the spot. This is a big ****ing joke!!!! :madfire: :madfire: :mad:

A Good Flying Bird*

John Flyers Fan said:
I think both sides should vote.

Let the owners vote and let them speak up.

Let the players vote and let them talk.

Good idea.
But these morons would spend five months deciding who votes first.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Crows said:
OK people The score is just showing the video of goodnow. He was pissed.. he was telling the reporters to "GET BACK.. JUST STEP BACK"

COMMENT:

HE WAS THE ONLY man out of the building.

This is really weird folks. He's the only one to make a comment at all. I have a feeling something weird is up.

TSN had a saskin quote- he said "no progress was made", or something to that effect.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ted Saskin has also issued a statement, the usual, statement he has...Can't say i'm surprised by this, I think what's happening is that they always get close to a deal, then the NHL backs out, just my theory...

Unfortunately, I don't think this is over, I don't think we'll get a cancellation annoucement just yet, I won't be surprised if they meet again during the weekend, or we'll go through another week of groundhog day...

I'm spent

I still think we'll have a short season though, the recent developments haven't changed my mind

Reilly311

Crows said:
OK people The score is just showing the video of goodnow. He was pissed.. he was telling the reporters to "GET BACK.. JUST STEP BACK"

COMMENT:

HE WAS THE ONLY man out of the building.

This is really weird folks. He's the only one to make a comment at all. I have a feeling something weird is up.

lolz, poor Bob.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
somehow i'm not finding the idea that goodenow *might* have been the only one to come out by now to be of any comfort.

it doesn't look good and i'm not feeling hopeful at all anymore...and it's a complete joke

both sides ultimately are to blame for this and i'm disgusted with them both. i hope the players go broke and the owners are left with franchises that have no value and are worthless.

thanks for destroying the most talented hockey league in the world guys...pardon me if i have no sympathy for any of you

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
bladoww said:
I Hate The Nhl and The Nhlpa.

Here Here...I agree. If there is ANY truth to the rumor that a deal was nearly complete and the NHL came in today and pulled out...then I hate them both equally......

:mad: :madfire:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I don't believe all this. They met untill 10:30 last night in a 9 hr+ meeting. Then today for 4 hours. Goodenow then says "No progress made"

Now there's no way they sat in a room for 9 hours.

I think that with JR and Jackman, two higher profile players speaking out, I think Goodenow has been told to get lost or just has been pissed off as they've casted him aside IMO. If the season was cancelled, Goodenow wouldn't be pissed. He'd be like "O, it's the league's fault" etc...., but the way he was pissed shows something's not going his way and I think maybe he left the meetings and will quit or something like that. I hope so. The season is not dead. We can't go from strong optimism to nothing quickly.

Watch and wait. Something's up. :teach:

Slow Talking Walter

Aug 21, 2003
in the weeds
Visit site
This could be what is needed!

Hey, before the tears cloud our vision, this could be the very thing needed. Lets say Gary announces a gov. meeting and/or deadline. Dont you think there is going to be pressure from the players to vote (especially with all the players talk in the media as of late). I think there are a few days left folks, and anything could happen.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
I think there is way too much blame being placed on Bettman/Goodenow. They are hired by the NHL & NHLPA and take their instructions for them. The players decided that they were not going to settle for a salary cap, not Goodenow. The owners decided they wanted cost certainty, not Bettman. SO lets place the blame where it should squarely be placed. Obviously, neither one of the two was given instructions by their respective executive committees to give in on the salary cap issue, and they didn't. So here we sit, and the players and owners have no onbe to blame but themselves, and consequently, they should also be blamed but us. So before you send a letter to Bettman/Goodenow ripping them for letting this happen, I think letters should be sent to the players/owners for allowing this to happen. They have no right to say "Huh? What are you upset at me for?"

I said it before and I will say it again. thats what you get for letting a bunch of lawyers run the show.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
I simply cannot fathom the money that these players are willing to walk away from. If the average NHL career is 8 years, which I'm thinking is probably a bit too high in reality... not getting paid for a season is equivalent to 5 years of no salary for us working stiffs! Could you imagine going 5 years without getting paid, or moving to Europe and making 1/10th of your salary for 5 years? It's insane to give up that kind of money. That's $10+ million dollars that Chris Pronger will never see again! These guys are obviously living in a completely different world than the rest of us.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
PanthersRule said:
I don't believe all this. They met untill 10:30 last night in a 9 hr+ meeting. Then today for 4 hours. Goodenow then says "No progress made"

Now there's no way they sat in a room for 9 hours.

I think that with JR and Jackman, two higher profile players speaking out, I think Goodenow has been told to get lost or just has been pissed off as they've casted him aside IMO. If the season was cancelled, Goodenow wouldn't be pissed. He'd be like "O, it's the league's fault" etc...., but the way he was pissed shows something's not going his way and I think maybe he left the meetings and will quit or something like that. I hope so. The season is not dead. We can't go from strong optimism to nothing quickly.

Watch and wait. Something's up. :teach:

I don't think anything's up with Dumb and Dumber, but I do think the JR, Jackman, Peca comments were signs of a player movement behind the idea that the rank and file should vote. I think the players would vote for a hard cap as long as the cap level could not go down.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Associated Press update, pretty much the same as TSN:

{By IRA PODELL}=
{AP Sports Writer}=
NEW YORK (AP) — NHL labor talks ended Friday after a four-hour meeting, leaving the hockey season on the brink of being canceled.
The sides met for the third straight day, but made no progress on the major stumbling block: a salary cap. The NHL has insisted on a link between league revenues and player costs, and the players’ association has steadfastly refused that as a solution to end the season-long lockout.
“The parties met again today for approximately four hours and the discussions broke off with no progress to report,†NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said in a statement.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and players’ association executive director Bob Goodenow rejoined the discussions Thursday, and were at the table for Friday’s session.
Goodenow left the meeting and said he was returning to Toronto.
The NHL previously indicated that progress was essential if there was to be hockey this season.

MontrealCruiser_83*

na na na na... na na na na... hey hey hey... goodbye

dicks

Crows*

The score is reporting that the NHL may be coming out in a minute to comment.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
I think there is way too much blame being placed on Bettman/Goodenow. They are hired by the NHL & NHLPA and take their instructions for them. The players decided that they were not going to settle for a salary cap, not Goodenow. The owners decided they wanted cost certainty, not Bettman. SO lets place the blame where it should squarely be placed. Obviously, neither one of the two was given instructions by their respective executive committees to give in on the salary cap issue, and they didn't. So here we sit, and the players and owners have no onbe to blame but themselves, and consequently, they should also be blamed but us. So before you send a letter to Bettman/Goodenow ripping them for letting this happen, I think letters should be sent to the players/owners for allowing this to happen. They have no right to say "Huh? What are you upset at me for?"

I said it before and I will say it again. thats what you get for letting a bunch of lawyers run the show.

Excellent post. It's in the players' and owners' interest that Bettman and Goodenow look like the bad guys in all this, but they ultimately are the ones to blame for this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad