Good pants for a defensemen

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Hi all,
I just love playing defense, but the higher the level of the players I play with, the more those shots I block hurts...

So, pieces of equipment gets replaced by *much* better stuff as required (yep, pain is a pretty darn good incentive).

I have what I tough to be quite good pants but meh, maybe for a forward eh... coverage inside the thighs is pretty weak.

Any recommendations for a good pair of pants for defense that offer all-around protection?

Or maybe some equipment hacks for the puck blocking defenseman?

Thanks all, just love reading in here...

NewDef
(the one that tries a lot, but scores not... )

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
What kind of pants do you have? Higher end pants will provide more protection otherwise pants are pants are pants are pants. As for inner thigh protection, you shouldn't be exposing your inner leg blocking shots you silly goose.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
What kind of pants do you have? Higher end pants will provide more protection otherwise pants are pants are pants are pants.

I have Reebok 7K, by no mean cheap stuff but it has no coverage whatsoever inside the thighs and a good slapper there causes bruises that hurts for months. :shakehead Twice this year seems enough to justify looking into options.

As for inner thigh protection, you shouldn't be exposing your inner leg blocking shots you silly goose.

Yah, well, I don't do that intentionally right... sometimes the shot just hits you from the other man shot while you're covering your man for rebounds in front of the net... Forwards that don't backcheck wouldn't know about that though... ;)

I guess I'll have to go try them in store. I just hoped some experience defenseman would vouch for a specific model being a notch above the rest.

Thanks

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
They don't make pants with inner thigh protection. Just be tougher.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thanks, will be lookin into Supreme's.

As said above, no pants offer inner thigh protection. If you block a shot the wrong way, it's gonna hurt. It's up to you to face it so that it hits the hard shell in front. My pants (One95) offer pretty good protection in front, I've never been hurt by a slap shot on my pants.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I use Bauer Supreme One95s, which would be the equivalent of the Supreme 1S today.

Thanks, will be lookin into Supreme's.

No, the One95s are equivalent now to the Bauer NEXUS 1N or NEXUS 1000 (older version) pant.

All Bauer SUPREME family pants AFTER the Bauer Supreme TotalOne pant (i.e. TotalOne NXG, MX3, 1S) have transitioned into the girdle-style.

Bauer Supreme pant models before the NXG are now equivalent to the NEXUS family.

They don't make pants with inner thigh protection. Just be tougher.

Like others have said, there's not much you can do for inner thigh unless you stitch in some extra protection.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No, the One95s are equivalent now to the Bauer NEXUS 1N or NEXUS 1000 (older version) pant.

All Bauer SUPREME family pants AFTER the Bauer Supreme TotalOne pant (i.e. TotalOne NXG, MX3, 1S) have transitioned into the girdle-style.

Bauer Supreme pant models before the NXG are now equivalent to the NEXUS family.

Like others have said, there's not much you can do for inner thigh unless you stitch in some extra protection.

Yes, my mistake. I just assumed there was continuity in the line of product. Anyway, the One95s are pretty good, if the 1N is anything like it then it must be awesome.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Even as a regular skater, I wear these for shot blocking and I've taken a few shots in otherwise exposed areas. Very good extra protection without adding much weight.
https://www.bauer.com/hockey-apparel-on-ice-base-layer/elite/padded-goalie-base-layer-pant

I wear Reebok 20K pants, they were the best for blocking shots when I got them. The CCM equivalent and more protective would be the previous Ultra Tacks and now the Super Tacks pants which both are improved versions of the Reebok 20K model.

Ultra Tacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDPcRqKiE2Y

Super Tacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4km599_wng8

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yes, my mistake. I just assumed there was continuity in the line of product. Anyway, the One95s are pretty good, if the 1N is anything like it then it must be awesome.
Yeah very easy to confuse the two. They just switched to give the equipment families the same consistent story (i.e. Nexus as traditional wider fit, Supreme as closer anatomical).
Even as a regular skater, I wear these for shot blocking and I've taken a few shots in otherwise exposed areas. Very good extra protection without adding much weight.
https://www.bauer.com/hockey-apparel-on-ice-base-layer/elite/padded-goalie-base-layer-pant

I wear Reebok 20K pants, they were the best for blocking shots when I got them. The CCM equivalent and more protective would be the previous Ultra Tacks and now the Super Tacks pants which both are improved versions of the Reebok 20K model.

Ultra Tacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDPcRqKiE2Y

Super Tacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4km599_wng8

Great suggestion as well! I'm a fan of these and the fact that you can customize length via that zipper thing is really cool.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Yo, maybe the guy behind you with all that fricken padding on would like the opportunity to exhibit his prowess...thats why he's playing for free...the stupid moron! :yo:

Just kidding, sometimes the way these A dubs shoot, you need more than a good pair of pants.

PS I always buy pro level used pants...it pays.

s...

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
FWIW as a goalie I've been using my now 18 year old player pants with no issue. Bauer blah blah....

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
As a previously regular shot blocking defenceman, I've always preferred Tackla.
The "newer" (only in comparison to my other pair) pair I have is a Tackle 5000 Pro - which is more padding than I need at the level I know play at now.

Maybe someone else will have an idea of any more current Tackla models that would qualify.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

motorace

May 7, 2012
i actually came here looking for this exact same question. got a puck twice in the same game to inner thigh. so i get there is no protection, but what pair of pants do offer the most, biggest, hardest pads, most cover, most spine protection, etc? my pants are some nexus, forget which ones from 3 years ago and from what i can tell, haven basically no spine protection compared to the ones now. so which ones in any brand?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
i actually came here looking for this exact same question. got a puck twice in the same game to inner thigh. so i get there is no protection, but what pair of pants do offer the most, biggest, hardest pads, most cover, most spine protection, etc? my pants are some nexus, forget which ones from 3 years ago and from what i can tell, haven basically no spine protection compared to the ones now. so which ones in any brand?
I mean, did you read the thread? There are multiple options...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
yeah, read a few options, asking which one is ultimate best.

I've been doing a lot of research and fittings the last month in an effort to upgrade some very old pieces of equipment, I'm not expert but I'm not sure there is a true answer to your question.

Ultimately, IMO the ultimate pant for you as a D-man will come down to fit as much as protection. Having a pair of hockey pants that offer the thickest padding, or most padding, but isn't comfortable for you isn't going to help.

That being said, based on my tried fittings and research, the most "protective" line of pants from each of the "Big 3" manufacturers would be:

Bauer - Nexus

CCM - Supertacks

Warrior - QRL Covert

I'd go to your local hockey store, try these 3 lines on 1st, and go from there. If none are comfortable, then I'd try the Bauer Supreme line next.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
As a previously regular shot blocking defenceman, I've always preferred Tackla.
The "newer" (only in comparison to my other pair) pair I have is a Tackle 5000 Pro - which is more padding than I need at the level I know play at now.

Maybe someone else will have an idea of any more current Tackla models that would qualify.

I'd have to be home in my garage to recall the exact model, but I came here to also endorse Tackla. When I first started playing, I had trouble with bruises around the pants area - more from falling than from shot blocking :), but still...after a year, some hockey store salesman turned me on to Tackla. That was 16 years ago, and I haven't had a problem since, only having to replace them once about 3 years ago. And I have played defense, and progressed to the point where I could skate with players who played at high level without embarrassing myself...

If I was home in my garage I could also tell you the brand and model of the $150 shin guards I just switched to because I got tired of those bruises blocking shots...and they're fantastic

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd have to be home in my garage to recall the exact model, but I came here to also endorse Tackla. When I first started playing, I had trouble with bruises around the pants area - more from falling than from shot blocking :), but still...after a year, some hockey store salesman turned me on to Tackla. That was 16 years ago, and I haven't had a problem since, only having to replace them once about 3 years ago. And I have played defense, and progressed to the point where I could skate with players who played at high level without embarrassing myself...

If I was home in my garage I could also tell you the brand and model of the $150 shin guards I just switched to because I got tired of those bruises blocking shots...and they're fantastic

Any idea where to get Tackla's here in NA. Where I'm to in Canada I haven't seen them in years, but people often sing their praises.

If anyone is looking for a excellent pair of shins, and don't mind spending a few dollars, the new Bauer Supreme 1S shinguards are awesome. I bit the bullet and got a pair and don't regret it one bit.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Any idea where to get Tackla's here in NA. Where I'm to in Canada I haven't seen them in years, but people often sing their praises.

If anyone is looking for a excellent pair of shins, and don't mind spending a few dollars, the new Bauer Supreme 1S shinguards are awesome. I bit the bullet and got a pair and don't regret it one bit.

Everything I've ordered online hockey-wise the last few years I've gotten via hockeymonkey or hockey tron (both located in SoCal, I think), so I'd check there first.

Reactions: BruinDust

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Found my shin guard order from the summer - Easton Synergy GX. And it was only $110.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad