Good chance for Crosby to land in Metro N.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Whether you dis-like the Ranger, Devils or the Islanders, as hockey fans we have a good chance with a total of 5 balls of getting Crosby to play in the NY metro area and watching him on a nightly basis on MSG/NY-Fox sports network. As a hockey fan I wouldn't mind if he landed with either of the NY teams.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I'm a Bklynite as well, but i couldn't follow Hockey ever again if Crosby went to the Devs or Isles ;) Every team thats been in a division with the Rangers has had at least one great top two picks overall in my lifetime, and in Philly's case they got Lindros over us in the trade.

The guy would be an absolute perfect fit in NY, but regardless of what anyone says, NO ONE will be happy about some other team besides your fave getting SC.

All that being said, the Rangers will probably lose the lotto, but get the #2 pick, JUST missing out on SC. :propeller

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Well, I guess the good news is that there's a 90% chance he doesn't end up there.

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
As much as I hate the Rangers if Crosby goes there it is a GOOD thing. I mean the NHL has been so great the last 7 years the Rangers have been terrible right? I know there were a lot of other factors that lessened the attention the NHL was paid. There were defenately factors that depleted the product on the ice as well. But I for one would guarentee the NHL would have been much more sucessful had the Rangers been a "good" team over that time. (Good=around a 5th/6th seed)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
icelanders said:
As much as I hate the Rangers if Crosby goes there it is a GOOD thing.

I might be the only one around here that doesn't buy that stuff.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Brooklyndevil said:
Whether you dis-like the Ranger, Devils or the Islanders, as hockey fans we have a good chance with a total of 5 balls of getting Crosby to play in the NY metro area and watching him on a nightly basis on MSG/NY-Fox sports network. As a hockey fan I wouldn't mind if he landed with either of the NY teams.
The odds are even greater if you consider Buffalo, who has the max amount of balls.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Seachd said:

nope yer not the only one.

Im sorry but its better if he goes do a team that Doesnt deserve him, per-say. An established team that he can go far into the play-offs, get national exposure, and mature around Veterens.

If he goes to new york, for 2-4 years we are gonna here "The guy is Great, its just to bad he consistantly finishes outside of the play-offs. Could you imagine him surrounded by a better team?"

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Brooklyndevil said:
disagree a little bit, as people would only think its fixed if he went to nyr. the other 2 dont count as a big market place to help the nhl. sorry to fans of the 2, but you arent.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Seachd said:

Where you around in 1994 when even SI put hockey on the cover of its magazine because the Rangers won the Cup and the sport was on the verge of overtaking basketball riding the Rangers coat-tails? I have that issue still in my room if you need a nice little reference.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I think it would be okay if he went to:
1.) Washington Crosby and Ovenchicken could start a powerhouse to make the SE more competetive.
2.) Buffalo: make the NE even tougher
3.) LA or ANA (preferably ANA and the new ownership)
4.) ATL - Kovalchuck/Crosby/Heatley...no, that's just not right. The HiCK line!
5.) Boston - then they could finally ditch Thornton *ducks for cover*
6.) Dallas or STL - those teams had a good thing going for the league in terms of entertaining hockey, and now they must purge. This will reload the chambers.

Basically, I hope he goes to any US team other than NJ, Philly, or Detroit. If he has to go to a Canadian team, I hope he goes to MTL, OTT, or TOR so that I don't have to stay up late to watch him most of the time :)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Reveille! said:
Where you around in 1994 when even SI put hockey on the cover of its magazine because the Rangers won the Cup and the sport was on the verge of overtaking basketball riding the Rangers coat-tails? I have that issue still in my room if you need a nice little reference.
That's super. But I don't think landing Crosby automatically gives the Rangers the Cup.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
X8oD said:
nope yer not the only one.

Im sorry but its better if he goes do a team that Doesnt deserve him, per-say. An established team that he can go far into the play-offs, get national exposure, and mature around Veterens.

Geez, I wonder who you are referring too? :sarcasm:

Sammy*

Reveille! said:
Were you around when the Rangers got Melonhead (the next big thing) ,had a 70 mil payroll & couldnt make the playoffs?
Furthurmore, I seem to recall the Oilers been on the cover as SI as well. Do I take you agree that Crosby coming to Edmonton would be great for the NHL?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
Toxostoma Rufum said:
1.) Washington Crosby and Ovenchicken could start a powerhouse to make the SE more competetive.
6.) Dallas or STL - those teams had a good thing going for the league in terms of entertaining hockey, and now they must purge. This will reload the chambers.

Basically, I hope he goes to any US team other than NJ, Philly, or Detroit. If he has to go to a Canadian team, I hope he goes to MTL, OTT, or TOR so that I don't have to stay up late to watch him most of the time :)

What about Florida? I think Stewart Crosby Horton could help hockey to survive in the south as well as make a powerhouse for the future, rather than the crappy caps!! :yo:

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Toxostoma Rufum said:

You also forgot Chicago that franchise is in bad shape and their fans need something for them to care about the team again and Crosby can do that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
While we're going by regions, the upper Ohio River valley has an even better chance with 6 balls between Columbus and Pittsburgh.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Expanding from just the New York Metro market...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but with a spare 5 minutes I checked out how each division fairs in their chances. What does it matter? With the new schedule of 8 divisional games it is your odds of seeing Crosby play in your nearest division and/or your favourite team's building.

Western Conference: Total 25/48 balls for a 52% chance.

Northwest 8 balls, 16.67% VAN 1, COL 1, CGY 2, EDM 2, MIN 2
Pacific 8 balls, 16.67% SJ 1, DAL 1, LA 2, ANA 2, PHO 2
Central 9 balls, 18.75% DET 1, STL 1, NAS 2, CHI 2, CBS 3

Eastern Conference: Total 23/48 balls for a 48% chance.

Northeast 7 balls, 14.58% TOR 1, MTL 1, OTT 1, BOS 1, BUF 3
Atlantic 9 balls, 18.75% PHI 1, NYI 1, NJ 1, NYR 3, PIT 3
Southeast 7 balls, 14.58% WAS 1, TB 1, FLA 1, ATL 2, CAR 2

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
The Rangers = NHL exposure in the USA, pure and simple. Those who are saying otherwise are just biased. I hope you find some happiness in your bias because it will not improve the standing of Hocky in society. I as an islander am biased against the Rangers. Living in the biggest sports city in the world it is impossible to ignore the facts. In 1 million years hockey will never beat out any of the other sports for unless its the Rangers. There are 2 other Metro area teams that have great fan bases and they can barely get regular columns written on them. MSG is the "greatest arena in the world" and when it is rocking the world is watching. Just as the NBA is going through a dead period with shrinking ratings its no wonder as the Knicks are as awful as the Rangers.

And NO Crosby does not = sucess for the Rangers. What he does = is a big time PR coup. He will bring a huge "buzz" to the NY area.

BTW it would be a great thing if the Rangers could get better quickly as their is a major opportunity to increase exposure while the Knicks arent getting the back pages.

Everyone loves small market teams who have sucess and overcome financial restraints. It was great when the Marlins beat the Yankees, San Antonio ousted LA in the playoffs a few years ago, and so on. The fact of the matter remains that the New York and to a lesser extent LA teams bring more to any league than any small market team and there is no way to even argue otherwise.

Sammy*

icelanders said:
The Rangers = NHL exposure in the USA, pure and simple. Those who are saying otherwise are just biased. I hope you find some happiness in your bias because it will not improve the standing of Hocky in society. I as an islander am biased against the Rangers. Living in the biggest sports city in the world it is impossible to ignore the facts. In 1 million years hockey will never beat out any of the other sports for unless its the Rangers. There are 2 other Metro area teams that have great fan bases and they can barely get regular columns written on them. MSG is the "greatest arena in the world" and when it is rocking the world is watching. Just as the NBA is going through a dead period with shrinking ratings its no wonder as the Knicks are as awful as the Rangers.

And NO Crosby does not = sucess for the Rangers. What he does = is a big time PR coup. He will bring a huge "buzz" to the NY area.

BTW it would be a great thing if the Rangers could get better quickly as their is a major opportunity to increase exposure while the Knicks arent getting the back pages.

Everyone loves small market teams who have sucess and overcome financial restraints. It was great when the Marlins beat the Yankees, San Antonio ousted LA in the playoffs a few years ago, and so on. The fact of the matter remains that the New York and to a lesser extent LA teams bring more to any league than any small market team and there is no way to even argue otherwise.
What you fail to "get" is great exposure in the NY market means dick squat in the terms of the United States at large.
It never has & I doubt it ever will.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I disagree.

People will allways love and hate the biggest teams in the league. Would you rather that be Buffalo or the Rangers?? The fact is, its hard to hate Buffalo unless your team has a pre-established rivalry with them. Compare a successful Rangers to the Wings of the past few years: The highest drawing team in the States. Except it would be even higher for the Rangers, if they were actually good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->