Good article on record number of Americans chosen in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
That's all right if Americans were drafted high this year. That's good for the future. I think it was 85% were North American in the first three rounds.

What I also like is that the less Euros drafted in the NHL the better chance Canada has to win International Tournaments. As for the USA: Well, they look good but I'm not too worried. Our record against them in Canada Cups, World Cups and Olympics combined (the best on best level) is 11-3-1.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
looks like they'll have to rewrite those articles next year. 2006 is a real good american draft year. i think there could be maybe 10 or 12 usa 1st rounders next year.

Bruno8

Jun 14, 2002
East Coast
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
looks like they'll have to rewrite those articles next year. 2006 is a real good american draft year. i think there could be maybe 10 or 12 usa 1st rounders next year.

I like your optimism, but that will be very unlikely. There's a good crop of European players available next year, but I don't see even the 8 Americans happening again
in 2006...in my opinion.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Bruno8 said:
I like your optimism, but that will be very unlikely. There's a good crop of European players available next year, but I don't see even the 8 Americans happening again
in 2006...in my opinion.

But with the hype going to be around Phil Kessel, it shouldn't really matter, he could be the only American drafted in the first round and he would create more of a buzz than the '05 draft year, which would be great for the league exposure in the south and USA Hockey to have a Sidney Crosby type posterboy.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
''...we can expect that the recent trend for the national U.S. teams to win international titles on ice will carry on. We can also expect that superstars like Chelios, Housley, Lafontaine, Leetch, Modano and Richter, will have good company in the future among Americans who succeed in the NHL.''

It was predicted a year ago on HF...

For more info, read http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6826

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
heres 12 that hav a shot at the 1st

kessel; 87; minnesota
mueller; 88; everett
e johnson; 88; ntdp
mitera; 87; michigan
palmer; 88; ntdp
foligno; 87; sudbury
williams; 88; ntdp
okposo; 88; sioux falls
sanguinetti; 88; owen sound
sauer; 88; michigan
geoffrion; 88; ntdp
dowzek; 88; ushl

thats not including minnesota high schoolers, preps, and ushl players that may emerge

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
orangeandblack said:
heres 12 that hav a shot at the 1st

kessel; 87; minnesota
mueller; 88; everett
e johnson; 88; ntdp
mitera; 87; michigan
palmer; 88; ntdp
foligno; 87; sudbury
williams; 88; ntdp
okposo; 88; sioux falls
sanguinetti; 88; owen sound
sauer; 88; michigan
geoffrion; 88; ntdp
dowzek; 88; ushl

thats not including minnesota high schoolers, preps, and ushl players that may emerge

Holy ****. I didn't even realize that the 2006 draft crop for USA was this deep.

God damn.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Some other US players that could have high NHL draft potential...

Joey Ryan - D - Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
Ryan Flynn - F - USNTDP U18
Michael Carman - F - USNTDP U18
Michael Forney - F - Lincoln Stars (USHL) / Minnesota High School
Brian Strait - D - USNTDP U18
Kevin Montgomery - D - USNTDP U18
Chris Summers - D - USNTDP U18
David Fischer - D - Minnesota High School
Neil Conway - G - Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
Brett Bennett - G - USNTDP U18

For the record, I don't expect all the players on orangeandblack's list nor my list to be high draft picks. Here are my thoughts and opinions on all the players listed on both lists (for the record, I haven't seen any of these players more than a handful of times and I'm basing most of my opinions on what I've read from various sources... in other words, I'm no scout and it's quite possible some of my perceptions could be a bit off)...

Kessel (F) - I think he's a lock for the top 3. He's the best US junior player that I've ever seen (though I've only been seriously following US junior hockey for about four years now). I expect he'll be one of the top offensive threats in the NCAA next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be at least a top three Hobey Finalist, if not (dare I say it?) the winner.

Mueller (F) - Top 10 pick at least. He's got the potential to go top 3 though. It all depends how he adjust to the WHL. He's certainly not as flashy as Kessel and I don't think he's really got the raw skills Kessel has but he is more well rounded. For example, he has a real physical dimension to his game, he's very strong defensively, and he's got better size than Kessel.

Johnson (D) - Top 10 pick. I saw him play last year and I was very impressed. He doesn't have the hype I'd expect for a player with his immense potential. I expect him to be the top d-man for next year and he could shoot up to be a top 5 or maybe even top 3 pick.

Mitera (D) - Mid-to-late first round pick. I think he's very good but not spectacular. A safe pick for the latter part of the first round.

Palmer (G) - Was seen as the "next Rick DiPietro" not too long ago. It's pretty clear he's not on that level but many still have him rated highly. I'm not 100% sold myself and I don't think he's a sure first rounder by any means. If the scouting services are right though he's still in contention.

Foligno (F) - I don't think he fits on this list at all. If he goes before the third round I'd be surprised.

Williams (D) - This guy is a real sleeper. He's huge (6'4" 220), has a real mean streak and offensive upside. He's also quite raw but he could shoot up the draft lists, possibly to the first round.

Okposo (F) - From what I've read, he reminds me a bit of Jack Skille. He's getting hype Skille wasn't getting at this point last year though. He seems like a very good bet to be a first rounder but I'm not sure if he's top 10 material yet like some say. He needs to prove himself at a higher level than Shattuck-St. Mary's (that goes for Toews too, IMO).

Sanguinetti (D) - He had a very solid rookie season in the OHL last year but hasn't gotten too much hype from anyone beyond Owen Sound fans as far as I've seen. If what they say is right though he could certainly be a first rounder. I really don't know myself.

Sauer (G) - He seems to have the highest poetential amongst '88 born US goalies from what I've read. He has all the tools to be a first rounder and now that he's going to Michigan (with Montoya's departure) he has a great opportunity to cement himself as one. On the other hand, if he's not ready (afterall, he's only 17) he could really hurt his stock.

Geoffrion (F) - He received tremendous hype when he was very young but so far I think he's been a dissapointment. He'll get a lot of attention because of his tools but i wonder if he's skilled enough to go in the first round. I think of him as a second rounder myself.

Dowzak (D) - He's gotten a lot of hype over the years and he seems to be a lock for the first round IMO (the way I see it, if Joe Finley can go in the first round, Dowzak certainly should). He's huge (6'5" 223) and has great tools (the biggest attribute being him footwork). I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the top 10 but whether or not he's worth it long term is another question.

Joey Ryan (D) - He was once considered a big time prospect but I haven't heard much in the past year or two since he went up to the Q. I've heard a few Q fans who say he could be an early second rounder and that's really all I have to go on as of right now. Hopefully he won't follow in Andricopoulos' footsteps.

Ryan Flynn (F) - If Okposo reminds me of Skille, Flynn reminds me of Ryan Stoa. He's got very good size (6'3" 215) and skill and while I haven't heard a lot of draft hype for him at all, I wasn't hearing too much for Stoa at this time last year either. Hopefully he's meaner and plays a more inspired game than Stoa. If that's the case, he could be a mid-to-late first round pick. If not, I think he's a good bet for the second round.

Carman (F) - I'm mostly basing his inclusion here on solid numbers with the U17 team last year and a very strong performance at the Select 17 Festival. He's not huge (6'0" 180) but he plays a real power game. I don't have a good feel for what his upside is so I can't really say where NHL teams would place him.

Forney (F) - Seems to be a real sleeper. I know Woodlief has him as a potential first rounder. Outside of that, I haven't heard a lot about him, but he has good size and tools apparently. In suspect he could end up totally disappearing from these kinds of lists before the next draft.

Strait (D) - He seems to have really improved this past year. He doesn't seem to have a huge upside but he looks like he could be a safe pick. Perhaps he could even end up going in the late first round.

Montgomery (D) - Offensive d-man with good size. I don't have a great feel for his upside but he seems to be a second or third rounder to me at this point.

Summers (D) - He was considered a big time prospect a year or two ago but he's tailed off some. He used to have a real offensive dimension to his game but it looks like he's focussed on being a physical, defensive d-man now. He seems like a second or third rounder, but part of me thinks he could fall depending upon just how high scouts feel his upside is now.

Fischer (D) - I may be overrating him by including him on this list but he seems to be a real go pick as a sleeper to me. He has size and offensive upside.

Conway (G) - Was solid in his first season but like Sanguinetti, he doesn't seem to be getting enough attention outside of Owen Sound. I haven't gotten the impression that he's got great upside but he seems like he could be a second or third rounder if he continues to progress.

Bennett (G) - Hasn't gotten any hype from what I've seen but I was intrigued by his performance for the U17s in the NAHL playoffs last season (10 GP / 2.01 GAA / .939 Save% / 3 Shotouts). Most consider Palmer the sure starter for the U18 team this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bennett challenge him for playing time.

If anyone has any differing opinions I'd be really interested in hearing them.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think that this is great news for the NCAA too. So many people felt that going the CHL route will help a guy like Mueller get picked higher. Johnson goes #3 and Skille goes #7. So the U18 not getting enough respect idea seems to lack any weight now. Plus you have guys like Lee, Niskanen,Oshie and last year Wheeler getting picked out of MNHS. And Flynn coming from the USHL. Really gives those very talented guys a tell that waiting for college will not hurt your draft position. With Carmen, E. Johnson, Fischer(maybe 2 away) and Okoposo coming in next year to the gophers seems like these guys will have no reason other not wanting to do schoolwork to turn away from the NCAA.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
I think that this is great news for the NCAA too. So many people felt that going the CHL route will help a guy like Mueller get picked higher. Johnson goes #3 and Skille goes #7. So the U18 not getting enough respect idea seems to lack any weight now. Plus you have guys like Lee, Niskanen,Oshie and last year Wheeler getting picked out of MNHS. And Flynn coming from the USHL. Really gives those very talented guys a tell that waiting for college will not hurt your draft position. With Carmen, E. Johnson, Fischer(maybe 2 away) and Okoposo coming in next year to the gophers seems like these guys will have no reason other not wanting to do schoolwork to turn away from the NCAA.

People can say what they want about Mueller and what is best but he simply had no other choice. He didn't have the academic ability and he may as well go to the highest option available to himself this year since college wasn't in the cards.

Ryan Flynn isn't in the USHL. He's with the NTDP.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
cagney, good reports, i also feel that forney is a huge sleeper, along with nigel williams, both could skyrocket with more exposure. as far as nick foligno, ive heard mixed reviews on him. some say hes a top 20 pick, others top 3 rounds. he put up good 1st year numbers, and i think he'll really move up this year, and get drafted in the first round. plus nhl teams love bloodlines. joey ryan is another highly touted guy that uncommitted to the ntdp for major junior (similar to andricoupolos, heshmatpour, spade), but seems to have the most upside of the group. he could also have a real breakthrough year.

what do you expect from major junior guys like jason reese, jack combs, luke lynes, vladimir nikiforov this year? i think nikiforov will really turn some heads at barrie, shame hes only about 5-9, 165.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
orangeandblack said:
what do you expect from major junior guys like jason reese, jack combs, luke lynes, vladimir nikiforov this year? i think nikiforov will really turn some heads at barrie, shame hes only about 5-9, 165.

I haven't heard much on Reese recently. He seemed to be as highly regarded as guys like Zach Hamill and Ben Maxwell back in the PIJHL when they were all 15 year olds but the other two are far more hyped now. I suppose he could have been added to the list above but I just haven't heard enough to say one way or the other.

I always agreed with those who thought Combs was overrated. He may end up being a good junior scorer but I'd be surprised if NHL teams are really interested in him. He's just too slow for his size.

Lynes just doesn't seem to have a very high ceiling. Maybe he'll be a late round pick though.

As far as Nikiforov goes, is it even a sure thing he's going major junior? I thought he was still planning on going to the USHL as of now. Either way, I've never heard anyone suggest he has NHL potential and I'd be surprised to see him get drafted. Like Combs though, he could end up being a good junior/college scorer.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
It is too early to speculate. Few if any people, including most NHL scouts, even heard of Pouliot and he went in the top five. Who knows who the sleeper picks will be for next year.

So far Kessel, Mueller, Sanguinetti, Johnson, Summers and Okposo are locks for the first round. Players like Strait, Williams, Dowzak and Mitera may sneak into the latter part of the first round.

Next year's draft will feature more high end Euros and this will certainly cut into the number of Americans taken in the first round.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
VOB said:
It is too early to speculate. Few if any people, including most NHL scouts, even heard of Pouliot and he went in the top five. Who knows who the sleeper picks will be for next year.

So far Kessel, Mueller, Sanguinetti, Johnson, Summers and Okposo are locks for the first round. Players like Strait, Williams, Dowzak and Mitera may sneak into the latter part of the first round.

Next year's draft will feature more high end Euros and this will certainly cut into the number of Americans taken in the first round.

I respect your opinion as I'm pretty sure you've got inside sources of some kind. I am curious though as to how universal the opinion is that Sanguinetti and Summers in particular are seen as first round locks at this point. I'm particularly interested in what you're hearing about Summers as I didn't think he was rated that high by anyone.

On the other hand, many sources seem to have Mitera rated as a first rounder but you think he's on the outside looking in. Where are you hearing that from?

Thanks.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
cagney said:
I respect your opinion as I'm pretty sure you've got inside sources of some kind. I am curious though as to how universal the opinion is that Sanguinetti and Summers in particular are seen as first round locks at this point. I'm particularly interested in what you're hearing about Summers as I didn't think he was rated that high by anyone.

On the other hand, many sources seem to have Mitera rated as a first rounder but you think he's on the outside looking in. Where are you hearing that from?

Thanks.

Mitera has good size but does not use it. His decision-making is questionable at best and many consider his upside to be quite limited.

Summers is a rock on D, is mobile and can handle the puck

Sanguinetti is the best 1988 American born Dman. He has all the intangibles that scouts look for: size, skating, positional play, puck mobility and sense. As of now, only David Ruzika is better.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
People can say what they want about Mueller and what is best but he simply had no other choice. He didn't have the academic ability and he may as well go to the highest option available to himself this year since college wasn't in the cards.

Ryan Flynn isn't in the USHL. He's with the NTDP.

Meant Finley not Flynn. And the other point was that if. MN HS can put a guy in the first 10 in the last two years. And the U18 team can put 2 in the top 10. The CHL is not as clear of a choice as it once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad