Good article from Darren Rovell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Crazy Lunatic said:
Look how long they lasted while losing millions and millions more than they lost this year. A lockout will delay their demise a lot longer than playing under the old CBA would have. Many teams aren't losing anything by locking the doors, they are saving money.

How can you save money you don't have coming in?
The 10 mil is to cover their overhead, but it can't last for much longer.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
likea said:
small market teams will actually have a chance to compete for a playoff spot if run well. we all know if teams are winning it attracts fans but now if teams win they will not be a farm team to the larger markets therefore they will not put their fans on a roller coaster ride

by building and losing for a few years then winning then not being able to afford their players therefore trading them for prospects and trying to build and win again

its a cycle that fans hate and the majority of the league has been forced to do it

it is also unfair because the big market teams stopped giving top value to prime players because they knew the small markets had to trade them

look at the NFL, if 24 teams have a shot to get in the playoffs with 10 games l;eft, thats good for the game because 24 cities are excited...
While I agree with you that the cap will put all teams on a more financial level playing fileld my issue is with the floor specifically. About a third of the league can be considered small revenue. Can we agree that on ice success is what will make a franchise more financially successful? If so, how many of the 12 teams will enjoy enough long term success to meet the floor in a cap era?

The problem with the floor as I see it is that if you are a small revenue team of 53 million and the floor is 32 milllion than your cost ratio is about 60%. The point of the article is that post lockout this ratio is likely to get worse for most small revenue teams because they are not as likely to recapture the casual fan. To me, this should not be the cost certainty the league is looking for.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
Bettman has said that the NHL will insure that all teams get to the salary floor of 32 (probably a 22 million floor by this time next year) by revenue sharing. A team needs to meet the NHLs criteria, like have 75% attendance and they automatically get revenue sharing help to bring them to the floor. Too bad the 32 - 42 million range is dead in the water. We're looking at a range of 22-32 for next year. Way to go NHLPA!
Actually in the NHLPA proosal they claim the NHL number was 80% along with the vague "assuming appropriate level of performance within their respective market". r Post lockout how many of the small revenue markets will meet these criteria which we don't even know? This is a far cry from "certainty"

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
The Flyers claimed that if no hockey was to be played this year they'd lose $15 million. I would have to think that most teams are in that ballpark of $10-20 million.

I'm curious, but what do you base this $10-$20 million figure on? To believe that, one would also believe these teams were earning money before the lockout.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Brewleaguer said:
How can you save money you don't have coming in?
The 10 mil is to cover their overhead, but it can't last for much longer.

I'm not sure "saving money" is the right phrase. It might be better to say they're losing less money by not playing.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
shnagle said:
Actually in the NHLPA proosal they claim the NHL number was 80% along with the vague "assuming appropriate level of performance within their respective market". r Post lockout how many of the small revenue markets will meet these criteria which we don't even know? This is a far cry from "certainty"

Teams that last year failed to draw 75%:

Pittsburgh, Carolina, Chicago

Teams that failed to draw 80%: Pittsburgh, Carolina, Chicago, Nashville, New Jersey, and Washington.

Unsure on Coyotes status as they changed buildings mid-way through the season.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
i hope the players are listening to fan 590 this morning-they are haveing 24 sec fan rants and the fans are unloading on them--i get the impression that fans would welcome replacements with open arms---btw i live in the south and have always been curious as why the NFL has never expanded into Canada?- do they have some sort of agreement with the CFL? i would have thought there would have a team in Toronto at the least.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
I'm curious, but what do you base this $10-$20 million figure on? To believe that, one would also believe these teams were earning money before the lockout.

Ron Ryan, President of the Philadelphia Flyers, gave the $15 million figure in an article to the Philadelphia Inquirer, in September/October. The $10-20 million is an educated guess, based on the Flyers number.

Teams are currently bringing in little or no revenue. They still have expenses:

Coaches, front office personell, scouts, accounting & sales staff etc.

Other expenses include: property taxes (huge in Canada), arena leases or mortgage payments, debt service.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:

Teams that failed to draw 80%: Pittsburgh, Carolina, Chicago, Nashville, New Jersey, and Washington.

Thanks for the info. Well, out of those teams Nashville and Pittsburgh would be in desperate need for revenue sharing and would not receive any. Do you know what other small revenue teams were close to 80% who might fall below if the lockout continues. Also, any idea of what other things the NHL might mean by "appropriate level of performance"?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
shnagle said:
Thanks for the info. Well, out of those teams Nashville and Pittsburgh would be in desperate need for revenue sharing and would not receive any. Do you know what other small revenue teams were close to 80% who might fall below if the lockout continues. Also, any idea of what other things the NHL might mean by "appropriate level of performance"?

Attendance link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?sort=home_capacity_avg&year=2004

Have no idea.

IMO the NHL should make it a flat figure, because buildings are different sized.

Make it 15,000 and you have to meet minimum spending requirements on player salaries.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
shnagle said:
While I agree with you that the cap will put all teams on a more financial level playing fileld my issue is with the floor specifically. About a third of the league can be considered small revenue. Can we agree that on ice success is what will make a franchise more financially successful? If so, how many of the 12 teams will enjoy enough long term success to meet the floor in a cap era?

The problem with the floor as I see it is that if you are a small revenue team of 53 million and the floor is 32 milllion than your cost ratio is about 60%. The point of the article is that post lockout this ratio is likely to get worse for most small revenue teams because they are not as likely to recapture the casual fan. To me, this should not be the cost certainty the league is looking for.
look, i dont think anyone would ever accuse me of being on the ownerside in this mess, but the 32million floor is itself an inflationary componenet of the deal. you said it yourself, its a 60% ratio for many teams.

of all the things offered by the NHL, the floor is probably the only real item that is a victory for the PA.

so, if the NHL has promised to make sure all teams can at least meet the floor, doesnt that resolve the issue you raise ?

dr

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:

When you look at teams that are below the 80%, you seem teams that are struggling record wise. Beyond that Washington is rebuilding and traded off many of the big name players and Nashville really needs to have 2-3 winning season before you can actually take a look at their draw.

Winning will bring back the fans. As for NJ, I don't know what to think there. They consistantly win, but it is boring hockey.

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
teams are losing 7-10 million this year? i don't understand where all this money is being spent. i figure if the team owns the rink, they have to pay upkeep, some if not all staff has to be kept... what else?

i'm not trying to be reactionary, i just want to know what else could eat up such an incredible amount of money.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Frenzy1 said:
When you look at teams that are below the 80%, you seem teams that are struggling record wise. Beyond that Washington is rebuilding and traded off many of the big name players and Nashville really needs to have 2-3 winning season before you can actually take a look at their draw.

Winning will bring back the fans.

Teams aren't always going to win. Even if the NHL ever got all 30 teams to compete on exactly even footing financially, which won't happen, more than 45% of all teams will miss the playoffs every year.

A salary cap isn't going to guarantee playoff teams in Washington, Pittsburgh etc. etc.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
DR said:
look, i dont think anyone would ever accuse me of being on the ownerside in this mess, but the 32million floor is itself an inflationary componenet of the deal. you said it yourself, its a 60% ratio for many teams.

of all the things offered by the NHL, the floor is probably the only real item that is a victory for the PA.

so, if the NHL has promised to make sure all teams can at least meet the floor, doesnt that resolve the issue you raise ?

dr
The NHL has only promised to help those teams meet the floor provided they meet an appropriate level of business performance such as 80% attendance. Currently, there are two teams(Pittsburgh,Nashville) who need that assistance below the level. Four other small revenue markets are close in Florida(82.6), Atlanta(81.5), Buffalo(80.6) and Phoenix(?). Assuming a drop off in attendance post lockout how will these teams qualify for the revenue sharing they need? Isn't the point of this lockout to ensure 30 solvent franchises, I don't see how the floor does this?

Last edited:

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
DR said:
Because 20m doesnt grow on tree's. Where do you expect them to come up with the cash if the banks wont finance them ?

DR

They'll do just the same thing they've been doing the past 10 years, the owners will finance the teams with their own money.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
StanTheMan said:
teams are losing 7-10 million this year? i don't understand where all this money is being spent. i figure if the team owns the rink, they have to pay upkeep, some if not all staff has to be kept... what else?

i'm not trying to be reactionary, i just want to know what else could eat up such an incredible amount of money.

#1. Property taxes, a huge expense especially for Canadian teams.

#2. Very few teams own their building outright, with no debt-service. Most either pay a lease, or are paying off huge loans that went into building construction.

Brent Burns Beard