Goligoski vs Brian Lee

Danny30

Jun 6, 2006
Fact is - at every stage in their carrer, Lee has outdone Goligoski by a good margain (even offensively) and there's nothing to indicate that will change.

They both played their senior years in high school. What were their stats for both of their senior years?

Jack Splat

Apr 8, 2006
Hershey, PA
Why is it unfair? If Goligoski was good enough to play college at 18 he would have. Goligoski had 2pts in 10 USHL games as an 18yo - definately not numbers indicative that he was NCAA ready; especially for an 'offensive' defenseman.

Didn't Goligoski play there after his school season ended? I think that's why he only played 10 games.

As a Pens fan, its nice that Goli even gets compared to a blue-chipper like Lee, who was pretty well hyped even when he was in high school. The fact that some think he's as good or better is fantastic for a kid who seemed like a reach where he was drafted.

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
Goligoski reminds me alot of Brian Rafalski. Right down to the wrister on the PP and way he moves the puck. Plus he an undersized defenseman that's a great all around skater. Goli has his flaws, like defensive reads and problems with bigger players, but I really think that they're correctable. I would feel alot better if he was at Harvard and Ted Donato was molding him but every player has their own question marks. He seems like the type of kid that'll work on his flaws so I think that once turning pro his two way game will blossem. Plus I really feel that Minny played some sloppy hockey last year and that would make any D-man look bad.

Lee kind of reminds me of Kenny Jonsson. He has good size but isn't overly physical. He uses his smarts to be effective in every zone and is a very mobile skater. IMO he'll be a very good defenseman but not elite. The type thats always under-rated by the rest of the league but his fans and team will love him because you have to watch him play to see how good he is.
As a lifer-Goofer fan and as a rabid UND hater, I have to say that Lee has more potential. That doesn't knock Goligosky that much. Lee has been playing prime-time hockey since his freshman year in High School and has always been surrounded by talent. Goligosky played on an inferior Grand Rapids team. Alex has been really good with the Goofers and we'll see if he can jump to the next level.

W. in the F. has Ted Donato done as a coach, BTW? The Don has groomed Leopold, Martin, Ballard and will be grooming a ton more talent here in MN. O yea ... won a couple more national titles than Ted Donato.

...Moorhead High School Coach Dave Morinville told Hockey’s Future that Lee is very coachable and compares Lee to another American defenseman.

"He is an extremely great leader in a quiet way," said Morinville. "He's a guy I always compare to Brian Leetch, as he's solid defensively and he's guy that can bring you some offense without giving up chances." Morinville added that Lee is a dedicated student to the game, and indicated that Lee put an emphasis on plyometric and sprint work in the off-season, recognizing that first step quickness will play a huge role at the next level. Lee did not see much ice time with the U-20 team, but his resume should push him into the first round.
This is exactly what I see when I've watched him play either for Moorhead or for UND.

Goligoski is a ridiculous name. I take Lee hands down.
Wow. Your intelligence and insight shine right there. Thanks for participating.

They both played their senior years in high school. What were their stats for both of their senior years?
The MN HS site my Dad, mnpuck, has this on Lee and Goligosky (it's hard to search and I keep complaining to him about it, but the info's there):

Goligosky, Grand Rapids
2004 First Team All-State
2004 GR was 12-11-2, not a good team
2003 All-State Honorable Mention

Lee, Moorhead
2005 Mr. Hockey 24GMs, 12G, 26A, 38pts
2005 Moorhead was 20-2-2
2005 First Line All-State
2004 All-State Honorable Mention
2004 Moorhead was 20-2-0
It should be noted that Moorhead is always good.

Danny30

Jun 6, 2006
Didn't Goligoski play there after his school season ended? I think that's why he only played 10 games.

As a Pens fan, its nice that Goli even gets compared to a blue-chipper like Lee, who was pretty well hyped even when he was in high school. The fact that some think he's as good or better is fantastic for a kid who seemed like a reach where he was drafted.

You are correct. No playoffs for GR that year, so he played the end of the season in the USHL. I believe Lee did the same thing after his playoffs were over.

Gophers

Nov 23, 2004
I can guarantee I have seen both of these guys play more than anyone else on these boards. Maybe I am crazy, but I would take Goligoski over Lee this season. I agree that Lee will probably develop into the better player, but right now Goli has a bit more experience and is quite a bit older.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Not exactly.

It's just a testiment to how much numbers mean to some people on this stupid board. The only people who have said Goligoski is in Lee's league have been Gopher fans and Pens fans as far as I can tell. No idea what 5mm is, but I don't count him in this argument at all.

Goligoski is a solid player. One who I think can be compared to Mathieu Schneider in the way he can control the offense (although I think that Schneider, again, is a smarter player and better on D). But Lee's defense is just leaps and bounds over Goligoski's and his offense is fairly close to his as well.

Honestly, Lee reminds me of a guy like Redden or Kaberle. A guy who can play both ends of the ice and play both ends solidly. If Lee pans out, he's going to be a force at NHL level play.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Not exactly.
The only people who have said Goligoski is in Lee's league have been Gopher fans and Pens fans as far as I can tell.

You should clarify. What Goligoski's got is today. What Lee's got is potential. Big difference. Let's pretend for a minute for your sake that plus/minus and scoring mean absolutely nothing (I know it doesn't make any sense to me either).

Pretty much across the board, still the experts agree that today Goligoski's game is significantly beyond Lee's:

Goligoski - 2006 USCHO All American Honorable Mention...2005 USCHO All Rookie
Lee - Not an All American...he must be All Rookie? No sir

Goligoski - 2006 INCH All American 3rd team...2005 INCH All Rookie
Lee - Not All American...and All Rookie? sorry

Goligoski - 2006 All WCHA 2nd team
Lee - Not All WCHA

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You should clarify. What Goligoski's got is today. What Lee's got is potential. Big difference. Let's pretend for a minute for your sake that plus/minus and scoring mean absolutely nothing (I know it doesn't make any sense to me either).

Pretty much across the board, still the experts agree that today Goligoski's game is significantly beyond Lee's:

Goligoski - 2006 USCHO All American Honorable Mention...2005 USCHO All Rookie
Lee - Not an All American...he must be All Rookie? No sir

Goligoski - 2006 INCH All American 3rd team...2005 INCH All Rookie
Lee - Not All American...and All Rookie? sorry

Goligoski - 2006 All WCHA 2nd team
Lee - Not All WCHA

What Goligoski has is a 2 year advantage.

This is a prospects board. Its really quite pointless to discuss who is better right now, when one player is 2 years older than the other.

When you ask who you'd take on your team, you're asking who you think projects to be a better NHLer.

The answer to that question is Lee, and it isn't really close.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Dave, appreciate the feedback. Some are having difficulty distinguishing between today's play and each players' potential as a prospect.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Dave, appreciate the feedback. Some are having difficulty distinguishing between today's play and each players' potential as a prospect.

But that wasn't your original point. In your first post you wrote:
Lee got exposure due to draft status and WJCs, but it doesn't mean he's a better prospect.

You seem to be changing your tune and now are just arguing that Goligoski is better now. Well, that goes w/o saying - he's 2 years older.

In terms of potential (your original point), Lee IS much better. He has outdone Goligoski in everything when comparing them at the same age.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I have seen Goli alot. My cousin played at GR. Goligoski has always been on a team where he had to do too much. Either at Grand Rapids or with the gophers. Harrington was good. But Alex looked more relaxed with RJ Anderson. No matter who he is paired with this year he will have less responsability. With Vanelli playing solid and the addition of EJ. Alex will finally be able to play his game.

You cannot compare at the same age and make if factual. Look at any sub six footer to any power forward. Who is better at 18 and who is projected better? Power forwards and big d men devolp more slowly. Some people are just far long at the same age. Goligoski was not anywhere near Lee physically at the same age. Add in a lack of exposure. And is more signifiacant.

If Lee goes up in production like Goligoski did his fresman to sophmore year. Lee will be an elite prospect compared to anyone. If he goes up marginally. That gap will have narowed. As Alex went up a fair amout his freshman to sophmore year.

People give Lee the benifit that he will pick up his O game. Why can't Goligoski then pick up his D game? He looked a lot better last year. And tDon. A stay at home defensemen. He can teach the defensive side. But he knows it so well. He exploits it even better.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
What Goligoski has is a 2 year advantage.

This is a prospects board. Its really quite pointless to discuss who is better right now, when one player is 2 years older than the other.

When you ask who you'd take on your team, you're asking who you think projects to be a better NHLer.

The answer to that question is Lee, and it isn't really close.

Exactly. The original question was who will be better.

Anyone, right now, who takes Goligoski is not someone that follows college hockey and/or prospects in general.

I'd even think that Lee will could possibly be as good as Goligoski this YEAR. Since his first game on the ice he's improved game after game.

TeamSeals

Feb 27, 2005
Minnetonka
Lee got exposure due to draft status and WJCs, but it doesn't mean he's a better prospect.

Although a year older, the numbers say Goligoski is the better player. Gol had about 50% more points than Lee. Lee was 7th in scoring for UND...while Goligoski was 3rd for MN. Goligoski at #3 on the team is pretty good also keeping in mind that the Gophers were the #1 scoring team in the nation and 3rd best defensive team in the WCHA (both better than UND). Also, Goligoski was 2nd for D's in the conference behind Hobey winner Matt Carle for scoring, and therefore has about as good as chance as any at being the top D in the WCHA. Goligoski just had some excellent offensive skills mentoring from Chris Harrington...which IMO UND couldn't match. In Lee's freshman year, he did very well...let's see if he can catch Goligoski.

The only thing Harrington could teach Goli is how to turn over the puck in your own zone. I've never been happier to see someone graduate, except maybe Matt DeMarchi. It will be nice to see Johnson on the ice instead of Harrington this year.

I would take Brian Lee over Goli but don't sell Goli short, he is the best defensemen on a team stacked with NHL draftees. Lee has more potential and should be better in the NHL but Goligoski should be a solid second pairing defensemen who should get his fair share of points for how well he moves the puck.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
The only thing Harrington could teach Goli is how to turn over the puck in your own zone. I've never been happier to see someone graduate, except maybe Matt DeMarchi. It will be nice to see Johnson on the ice instead of Harrington this year.

Harrington was top 3 in NCAA defensemen assists, +18 plus/minus, all WCHA, fed half the Gophers goals in this years playoffs and yes, mentored Goligoski in his climb to the top of the NCAAs...do you have any evidence here other than a personal opinion?

TeamSeals

Feb 27, 2005
Minnetonka
Harrington was top 3 in NCAA defensemen assists, +18 plus/minus, all WCHA, fed half the Gophers goals in this years playoffs and yes, mentored Goligoski in his climb to the top of the NCAAs...do you have any evidence here other than a personal opinion?

Saw him play with my own eyes, do you have that knowledge or are you using numbers that you just looked up? How hard is it for a supposedly offensive defensemen on the most talented college hockey to get his points? plus I was saying he has the puck poise of Martin Skoula, not that he cant throw the puck at the net and have Potultny put home the rebound

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Saw him play with my own eyes, do you have that knowledge or are you using numbers that you just looked up? How hard is it for a supposedly offensive defensemen on the most talented college hockey to get his points? plus I was saying he has the puck poise of Martin Skoula, not that he cant throw the puck at the net and have Potultny put home the rebound

Been a avid Gopher and college game tracker for 4 decades...don't care about the Wild. The evidence (stats, experts in the game, mentoring and one place where opinion plays a role, 'play') say Harrington had an enormous positive impact on the team. But if you want to say on the Gophers assists were meaningless because it was a 'great offensive' team...then pretty much all the players sucked. Based on your posts, perhaps the Wild might be more your cup of tea.

TeamSeals

Feb 27, 2005
Minnetonka
Been a avid Gopher and college game tracker for 4 decades...don't care about the Wild. The evidence (stats, experts in the game, mentoring and one place where opinion plays a role, 'play') say Harrington had an enormous positive impact on the team. But if you want to say on the Gophers assists were meaningless because it was a 'great offensive' team...then pretty much all the players sucked. Based on your posts, perhaps the Wild might be more your cup of tea.

Im actually a bigger gopher fan, granted its harder to track them outside going to the games on Fri and Sat. Maybe Harrignton was a great influence in the lockerroom and whatnot but the guy created more turnovers on his blue line than anyone else on the team or at least he did it at the most notable times. This is really a moot argument since A)this isnt even a topic about Harringto (sorry for hijacking the thread) & B) he's gone. Can't wait for the puck to drop on Gopher season, Goligoski for Hobey:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->