Golden Knights name still not fully settled??

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Should have just chosen Thunder.

That would be a bit awkward when they play the Lightning. Though it could be a funny Cup final. Thunder vs. Lightning!

Also our slogan right now is "Be the Thunder" and the fans have been referred to as the Thunder for quite some time so it'd suck to lose that.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've said it before, I'll say it again.... I fully expect at some point down the road for the team to pull an Anaheim and shorten their name to just the Knights before it's all said and done. How long from now? Your guess is as good as mine.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They would have much more trouble settling with the London Knights of the OHL. They are one of the biggest junior franchises in Canada and many more would know the name London Knights, than would some obscure college or that one part of the army has a certain nickname.

London is well known. Though going back to the principles of the trademark system: Would anyone confuse the London Knights with the Vegas Knights?

I find that highly improbable.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No, I never implied that they would be more known than an NHL team, but a small college and army section sure.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
London is well known. Though going back to the principles of the trademark system: Would anyone confuse the London Knights with the Vegas Knights?

I find that highly improbable.

As do I..... Interestingly, there was a pro hockey club called the London Knights that played in the British Super League from 1998-2003... owned by AEG.... who of course own the Kings of the NHL.... and in keeping with the theme named the rest of their clubs in the same vein; Munich Barons, Ontario Reign, Reading Royals & Manchester Monarchs.... As for the exact copying of the name in full, "London Knights"... I certainly dont recall ever reading about any issues with that though of course were talking a different continent altogether. Regardless. If it becomes a nuisance suit I'm sure Foley can make it go away with a small donation to the London Ontario Minor Hockey Association or whatever, and indeed, the Knights should of London should be flattered. Adopt the Vegas Knights colors & logo. Go all in.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Okay, so I'm a lawyer, but not a trademark lawyer (though I did take some intellectual property classes back in law school)...

The fact that the college is so small and not-well-known doesn't make their case weaker. It makes their case stronger. When you compare the Texas Rangers and the NY Rangers, both are well known brands in their own right, and it lessens the chance of confusion. But precisely because the College of Ste. Rose is not well known at all is what increases the chance for confusion.

I agree this seems likely to be settled, and I doubt it's in the millions of dollars. The only example I can think of is when the Winnipeg Jets came back into the league they deliberately borrowed from the RCAF roundel as their new symbol. In payment they signed an agreement with the Canadian Forces where the Jets would give $100k per year for ten years to military charities.

Reactions: Killion

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I've said it before, I'll say it again.... I fully expect at some point down the road for the team to pull an Anaheim and shorten their name to just the Knights before it's all said and done. How long from now? Your guess is as good as mine.

Good insight.

They've already truncated Las Vegas, so why not the other portion of the name? It would be interesting to see how much revenue a name change creates. I don't know much about merchandising revenue, but a name change down the road-assuming the team is still going well on the ice-could generate a good amount of easy profit. Certainly more than the cost of new letterhead. :laugh:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't know if anyone else saw this but a WNBA team moved to Las Vegas and named themself the Aces. This name, color scheme, logo, is so much better than the Golden Knights. The whole 'gambling related' nonsense was something the NHL dreamed up and confined themself with.

MGM Resorts Selects 'Las Vegas Aces' as New Name for WNBA Franchise - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA This concept would have been so much better.
wrong, Rossiya.... the NHL said no gaming references, which they are allowed to.... the Aces also were the original name of the 51s, that play at Cashman Field

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
wrong, Rossiya.... the NHL said no gaming references, which they are allowed to.... the Aces also were the original name of the 51s, that play at Cashman Field
The Aces are the AAA team in Reno.

The original name of the 51s was the Las Vegas Stars. Stars was the name of the WNBA team prior to their arrival in Las Vegas.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Good insight.

They've already truncated Las Vegas, so why not the other portion of the name? It would be interesting to see how much revenue a name change creates. I don't know much about merchandising revenue, but a name change down the road-assuming the team is still going well on the ice-could generate a good amount of easy profit. Certainly more than the cost of new letterhead. :laugh:

Why shorten the name? I believed Anaheim dropped the "Mighty" primarily to disassociate themselves with a kids movie. There's no such association with "Golden Knights" to warrant such a change.

Or are you saying that Golden Knights is too long?

Because it has the same number of syllables or fewer than the following:

Maple Leafs
Canadiens
Senators
Capitals
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets
Avalanche
Coyotes
Predators
Islanders

And with the exception of the last two, the place name for the team has more syllables than "Vegas".

And if we just look at the five syllable length of "Vegas Golden Knights", you can add the following teams with names that are five syllables or longer:

Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Chicago Black Hawks
Minnesota Wild
Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Buffalo Sabres
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Why shorten the name? I believed Anaheim dropped the "Mighty" primarily to disassociate themselves with a kids movie. There's no such association with "Golden Knights" to warrant such a change.

Or are you saying that Golden Knights is too long?

Because it has the same number of syllables or fewer than the following:

Maple Leafs
Canadiens
Senators
Capitals
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets
Avalanche
Coyotes
Predators
Islanders

And with the exception of the last two, the place name for the team has more syllables than "Vegas".

And if we just look at the five syllable length of "Vegas Golden Knights", you can add the following teams with names that are five syllables or longer:

Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Chicago Black Hawks
Minnesota Wild
Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Buffalo Sabres
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils

Not at all. It's just a good down-the-road marketing opportunity in terms of getting fans to buy new gear if they would choose change the name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad