Golden Knights name still not fully settled??

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm guessing they're discussing money, It seems easy enough to work something out with the other trademark owners.

I predict charity donations toward vets issues to satisfy the DOD and a few million for the College of St. Rose if the legal team all agrees that it's not going to work without it.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Back in the times before the internet, everything was a little more regional so it wasn't nearly as big a deal. If you lived in Dallas and wanted to call the Rangers, you looked in the white pages and there was no chance you'd find the number for the New York Rangers.

I'm sure the Texas Rangers would like nothing more than for someone to google Rangers and not have any confusion with New York from more casual fans. I doubt they'd coexist if they were choosing names now.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Why is this such a big deal? Why did teams like Texas Rangers have no issue when New York Rangers existed before them?

Even if they wanted to make a big deal of it they would have looked like fools. Since the Texas Rangers law enforcement predates the NY Rangers by nearly a 100 years.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm guessing they're discussing money, It seems easy enough to work something out with the other trademark owners.

I predict charity donations toward vets issues to satisfy the DOD and a few million for the College of St. Rose if the legal team all agrees that it's not going to work without it.

Has to be about money. I can't imagine a tiny, non-profit private college is going to win a trademark dispute on the grounds that someone is going to confuse their D3 sports team nickname with an NHL franchise. Same thing with the Army. The DOD might have deeper pockets to fight such a lawsuit but it would just cost them taxpayer money they don't need spending.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Even if they wanted to make a big deal of it they would have looked like fools. Since the Texas Rangers law enforcement predates the NY Rangers by nearly a 100 years.

Ok, but that's not the only example. LA Kings and Sacramento Kings? St.Louis Cardinals and Arizona Cardinals? Kansas City Chiefs and Johnstown Chiefs? Old Kansas City Wizards and Washington Wizards?

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Ok, but that's not the only example. LA Kings and Sacramento Kings? St.Louis Cardinals and Arizona Cardinals? Kansas City Chiefs and Johnstown Chiefs? Old Kansas City Wizards and Washington Wizards?

They were laxer about these things in the past when sports weren't as big a business as today. Also in some cases, permission was given like with Winnipeg getting it from the NY Jets football team.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Just wish then they had paid the London Knights the money. Las Vegas Knights was always a better name. I hate seeing VGK.

I mean, if im the Army and the college, don't they have all the bargaining power here? I wouldnt be asking for anything less than millions.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The dispute per the article has nothing to do with the OHL team so why are people suggesting that Foley try and make a deal with them.

It will cost more than working out something with the college that's for sure.

Reactions: Morrison

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Seems hypocritical for those two (Army and College of Saint Rose) to have a dispute when one or the other must have used a name that the other one already had. LOL Did one evolve from the other? Is three a crowd?

Also funny to see the applicant listed as "Black Knight Sports and Entertainment".

Is this about infringement or what? Geez........there are so many duplication of nicknames in sports. These three entities are so different from each other.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Back in the times before the internet, everything was a little more regional so it wasn't nearly as big a deal. If you lived in Dallas and wanted to call the Rangers, you looked in the white pages and there was no chance you'd find the number for the New York Rangers.

I'm sure the Texas Rangers would like nothing more than for someone to google Rangers and not have any confusion with New York from more casual fans. I doubt they'd coexist if they were choosing names now.

They were laxer about these things in the past when sports weren't as big a business as today. Also in some cases, permission was given like with Winnipeg getting it from the NY Jets football team.

Florida vs Carolina Panthers

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
The NY Rangers are named after the founder, Tex Rickard. Newspapers called the team “Tex’s Rangers.”

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
My college was also the Golden Knights. Can we sue too?

logo

Reactions: MJMazzarone

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
I find it a little weird that a D3 college is making a big stink about this and yet I'm sitting about a quarter of a mile from a D2 college that has the same nickname but apparently doesn't have a problem at all.

By the way, Gannon has made the men's D2 NCAA tournament championship basketball game twice, so at least their name has gotten national recognition a few times.

http://www.gannonsports.com/

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
A military reference seems inappropriate now. I'd rename this team to reflect the heroism of people in this city when besieged by a madman. Las Vegas Volunteers?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Worst case scenario, they go with just Knights and settle with the London OHL team. Can't see it costing that much, who the hell buys London Knights merch outside of London ONT anyway?

They would have much more trouble settling with the London Knights of the OHL. They are one of the biggest junior franchises in Canada and many more would know the name London Knights, than would some obscure college or that one part of the army has a certain nickname.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->