GDT: Gold Medal Game - May 20 - Sweden vs Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
In some comments during the game people wondered who the Swiss goalkeeper, Leo Genoni, is. So I thought I could write a short summary, even if it's too late, some might find it interesting.

The story of Leonardo Genoni has to be told with the one of Reto Berra (Calgary, Colorado, Florida, Anaheim). They both spent their youth years at ZSC Lions (up to the year 2007). Berra was at the time considered the next rising goalkeeper from Switzerland and had attracted quite some interest with his performances at international youth tournaments. Unhappy with their situation as backup goalkeepers (Ari "The Wall" Sulander was the starting goal keeper at the time) they both moved in the same season to league rival HC Davos (I'm still upset by that BTW :thumbd:). In Davos they were rivals for number one goal keeper, and Leonardo Genoni emerged as a clear winner. He played in 105 games, while Reto Berra only played 28 games in the samea time (they spent 2 years together at HC Davos). Eventually Berra left for another NLA club (EHC Biel) and his performances at this club earned him a spot in the NHL. Personally, I think Leo did not make it to the NHL because he is a smaller goaltender, and also for some reason he was, until this world cup, unable to play his best hockey at the international level.

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
As a swiss fan, i'm not sad at all.
The sweden was clearly better. It was a super fun game for us. Finally, the gold is just a medal, pride is much more important.
We have to be realistic, lose in OT against this sweden is still a big achievment.

I am sad.

some years ago ... we had the silver ... and lost without discussion to Sweden. I was happy we had the silver medal and never thought we could have the gold. So silver was great.

This time, we could have had the Gold. Whatever people say ... Sweden didn't play that well. And in scoring chances, in regular period, we had the lead. Not speaking about the OT were , appart 3 minutes at the end, we were simply superior and the most dangerous team. In penalty shots ... Swedes had the better technicians and .... and we lost . basta.

So this year i am sad we lost to a team that we could have beaten. But they won ... and it is also fine like that. (and in puck possession, shots , all these proxy measures ... they had the uper hand Except in potential ko landed punches .... and this is what i talk about and why i am sad this year)

And people who say this team is better or this team is worse ... all is on the ice in the game. These are games, not paper comparaisons. Else games wouldn't be played !!! You have to play them and heart has as much value as technique or IQ or whatever. As a proof : Vegas, Switezrland , and many others ... paper is cool. Games are what counts. ... and people who criticize ... even now that Vegas is in finale with 3 games lost and 12 wins ... some still say that they are a bunch of misfits ... !!! It's a pathetic attitude where people who are frustrated , stay in their papers , don't confront the world and claim that according to their papers ... this team was better than this other team. And that in a 17 game serie, this team could never beat this other team ... bla bla bla.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sweden gets so lucky with their brackets, it's ridiculous. Latvia, USA and then Switzerland. Only USA could be considered an especially strong team, and I still wouldn't exactly call it a top team.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Sweden gets so lucky with their brackets, it's ridiculous. Latvia, USA and then Switzerland. Only USA could be considered an especially strong team, and I still wouldn't exactly call it a top team.

Which team would have toppled Sweden then? I remind you that Sweden had to face Swiss twice and that the brackets are based on previous (lucky, no doubt) performances.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Sweden was the best team out there. Some luck in the brackets but they would have beaten Russia and annihilated the vacationing canadian team.

rimpirate

Nov 19, 2013
They had to face a team in the GMG which eliminated both Finland and Canada. In the end, there are no easy brackets *cough* SWE-BLR *cough*.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Sweden won every game. E V E R Y game.

And stop underestimating Switzerland, they had a great team.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

so if swiss are so bad then why did they beat canada and finland?

and what about latvia who took both canada and usa to ot?

what makes you think that sweden would not beat finland, canada and czech in the playoffs? we had the best team on paper in the whole tournament.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Guys, we have a crime scene.

giphy.gif

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014

Yes, because we beat every team in the group stage. :laugh:

Endless excuses from you guys, anything you can come up with so you won't have to give credit. Switzerland was good enough to out Canada and Finland, not our fault.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Disrespectful to the max to Sweden, Switzerland, etc etc. The only good thing is that it clears up what present one should buy you for Christmas: class, because you got none.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Guys, we have a crime scene.

giphy.gif
So, I guess a 2 game suspension, and a big fine to the Swiss federation, which will be announced around october? No?
A Finnish fan saying it was lucky to face the 4th best team in the other bracket by winning the group, while it's also lucky to face the same team that eliminated Finland (and Canada). You can't make this stuff up.

That is awesome to see! I'm very happy for Swiss hockey. I can also understand the joy from the fans. That Swiss team should be very proud with how they handled themselves and how close they were to winning.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Sweden won every game. E V E R Y game.

And stop underestimating Switzerland, they had a great team.

Two silver medals in 5 years, but still zero respect by so many (I am obviously agreeing with you). Unreal.

Here, in the span mentioned above (= from 2013 to now):
1. Sweden... 3 gold, 1 bronze
2. Canada... 2 gold, 1 silver
3. Russia... 1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze
4. Switzerland and Finland... 2 silver
5. USA... 3 bronze
6. Everyone else (including Czech, Slovakia, etc etc)... 0 medals.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yes, because we beat every team in the group stage. :laugh:

Endless excuses from you guys, anything you can come up with so you won't have to give credit. Switzerland was good enough to out Canada and Finland, not our fault.

And good enough to bring Sweden to the last penalty shot.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall

Do you remeber when Finland won the olympics? Yeah me neither :laugh:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
1.85 million Finns watched the WHC final where Finland didn't even play. Great for a 5.5 million people country.

So probably 3 million Finns would've watched the final if the Finns had played as Finland-Switzerland watching peak was 2.3 million. WHC is huge in Finland.

E: ok the average was about 1m, still it is huge. In Czech Republic 1.5 million Czechs watched the final. 2,5 million Swedes in Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Name Nameless

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
1.85 million Finns watched the WHC final where Finland didn't even play. Great for a 5.5 million people country.

So probably 3 million Finns would've watched the final if the Finns had played as Finland-Switzerland watching peak was 2.3 million. WHC is huge in Finland.

E: ok the average was about 1m, still it is huge. In Czech Republic 1.5 million Czechs watched the final. 2,5 million Swedes in Sweden.

Thats awsome! I lift my hat to the Finns who watched. Probably most of them rooted for Switzerland, but still. :)

Reactions: torero and FinPanda

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
You don't think we would've gotten the gold if we started in the other group? We would still make it to the playoffs, and we would still have the deepest and most skilled team in the tournament. I can't see how facing any other team in the playoffs would have changed the outcome here. No other team had the depth (especially defensive depth) to be able to knock us out. Switzerland played perfect defensive hockey and kept us on the outside perimeters in the O-zone the entire game which no other team was able to do.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Both Switzerland and USA beat Canada - the best team that Sweden didn't get to face.

Reactions: felixpettersson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->