Going "off the board"

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
Peter Forsberg going 6th overall in 1991 was an "off the board" pick by Philadelphia at the time.

From the 1991 Hockey News Draft Preview: "Center Peter Forsberg is, at worst, a solid second rounder who could move into the first."

THN rated him 25th overall, one spot behind the immortal Mike Pomichter (who never even stuck as an AHL regular), ten spots behind Alek Stojanov, 18 spots behind Brent Bilodeau (who never made the NHL) and 20 spots behind Aaron Ward.

Quoted scout: "I'd compare him to Tomas Steen in terms of style, though I don't think he'll be as good as Steen."

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
I think an off the board pick has to be someone who should be picked about 30 or so picks later in the first round and early second round. After these two rounds everyone's draft lists are pretty spread out.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
A couple questions:

1) In your years of watching the draft, what is the instance that stands out to you the most in terms of a team "going off the board" with their pick?

2) Which teams make a habit of "going off the board"?

3) Which teams do you think might do it this year and what players do you see being "off the board" picks?

Also, does anyone remember what Blake Wheeler was ranked by CSS/ISS before the Coyotes picked him? Thanks!

The Rangers´ pick of Hugh Jessiman at 12 in one of the strongest drafts ever was really surprising! He was ranked 37th in ISS´s final rankings and 47th the month before.

I think when it comes to "off the board picks" compared to scouting lists from ISS, CSB, etc. the Sharks often seem to pick some guys really early (with huge success!).

Matt Carle, 47th 2003, ISS final rankings - 152th.
Thomas Greiss, 94th 2004, ISS final rankings - not even listed.
Devin Setoguchi, 8th 2005, ISS final rankings - 18th, and they traded up two times I think to grab him!
Marc-Edouard Vlasic, 35th 2005, CSB final rankings NA-Skaters 70th.

Lunatik*

Kings can beat that one...

Round 7 #214 overall 2001 NHL Entry Draft, Cristobal Huet.
if we are counting late round gems... the Flames have a pretty good history there
  • 181st in 1980 - Hakan Loob
  • 231st in 1983 - Sergei Makarov
  • 117th in 1984 - Brett Hull
  • 180th in 1984 - Gary Suter
  • 166th in 1987 - Theoren Fleury
  • 158th in 2006 - Matt Keetley (ok so its wishful thinking but he's looking really good as a late pick right now)

but i dont think late round gems are going "off the board" going off the board is when you take a guy in the 1st or 2nd round who is ranked much lower

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Peter Forsberg going 6th overall in 1991 was an "off the board" pick by Philadelphia at the time.

From the 1991 Hockey News Draft Preview: "Center Peter Forsberg is, at worst, a solid second rounder who could move into the first."

THN rated him 25th overall, one spot behind the immortal Mike Pomichter (who never even stuck as an AHL regular), ten spots behind Alek Stojanov, 18 spots behind Brent Bilodeau (who never made the NHL) and 20 spots behind Aaron Ward.

Quoted scout: "I'd compare him to Tomas Steen in terms of style, though I don't think he'll be as good as Steen."

I was at that draft and a fair chunk of the press area were doing a "what the hell are the Flyers thinking?" conversation immediately afterward. It certainly squarreled up their predictions.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
in 98 the Leafs drafted Nik Antropov tenth, when The Hockey News had him rated in the 60's, and CS had him 17th of Europeans. He only listed at 6'2, when it fact he was 6'6, so that basically shows you how much knowledge they had of him.

I had no idea who he was at the draft, but I remember getting the next weeks issue of The Hockey News, and reading in almost every single teams "Team Report" that they had hoped Antropov would fall to them, or hopes he would last until the second round. I believe it was the Wings later saying they had him rated first, and were planning on trading up just after the Leafs pick to get him.

I think the Oilers wanted him as well. Wheeler comes to mind. Never thought he would be a top 5 pick.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
brent burns comes to mind.. went 20th overall in 2003 which was a very strong draft but it looks like a pretty decent pick

niinamaki who has already been mentioned was way off the board but not so good for the oilers

setoguchi in 2005... san jose traded up to get him!! when kopitar was still available!!!

micheal grabner was kind of off the board going at 14 last year but it wasnt mind boggling

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
Two teams that came to mind were the Sharks and the Capitals, but reviewing their recent drafting history, they haven't done too bad (maybe Pokaluk would still be questioned.)

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Washington Capitals
33rd Chris Bourque / ranked 74th CSS

14th Sasha Pokulok / ranked 38th CSS

52nd Keith Seabrook / not listed

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
one of the first replies was what came to my mind with new jersey and adrian foster... they always seem to go "off the board" because they always have one of the last picks of the first round and have to reach to get the guy they want because they wont pick again for 30 more picks. I also saw tampa bay mentioned, and it is the same kind of deal for them... most of the time it is the better teams going off the board because they have to reach

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Nik Antropov by Toronto. I remember that because there were rumblings that Detroit would take him in the 1st.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
In 2003 I would say the Flyers definatly made a reach with Jeff Carter. As I recall my reaction at the time was what the f?! At the time I really wanted Robert Nilsson or Zach Parise. It seemed like on of those picks were Clarke was over valuing size (thankful he didn't go for Jessiman). Seems like the Jeff Carter pick will turn out ok though.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Let me know when Huet is a starter in the NHL, let alone considered one of the top 10.

For the record, he led all goalies in SV% last year and was top 5 this year (including #1 at one point) before he was injured. Ahead of, I do believe, Henrik Lundqvist.

Doesn't mean I'd necessarily take Huet over Lundqvist myself, but still, give me a break.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
I believe Corrente was a bit of an "off the board" pick by the Devils last year. He wasn't even at the draft - his agent told him to stay home.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'd say Viktor Dovgan was pretty off the board when the Caps picked him in 2005, even if he was in the 7th round. The NHL didn't even know he was draft eligible until the Caps proved it to them.

I mean, go look at the 2005 draft on hockeydb.com, the 209th pick doesn't exist. That's how off the board this guy was.

arin1

Apr 30, 2006
Dick Axelsson(DET) wasnt even ranked and went 62nd overall.
Fleischman at 63rd.

Zombie Jesus

Nov 19, 2005
The one that really stood out at the time was the North Stars picking Doug Zmolek 7th overall in the 1989 draft.

He was only a high school player at that point and wasn't ranked by Central Scouting IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->