God of War (PS4)

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Another 3 hours spent on the same Valkyrie. Yet again camera angle and the fact that even if you try to use a res stone it doesn't always work. I had the chick at 10% hp, used a stone instantly, but due to some animation bs, BOI didn't res me in time and I died.
Annoying AF.
If she does the face stomp thing and kills you, boy can't res you. I agree though, the other Valkyries were challenging but fun, the Queen was just annoying. Her unblockable jab kept screwing me over, and I only ended up beating her because I got lucky and she only used that jab twice and missed me both times.

Reactions: crowi

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
If she does the face stomp thing and kills you, boy can't res you. I agree though, the other Valkyries were challenging but fun, the Queen was just annoying. Her unblockable jab kept screwing me over, and I only ended up beating her because I got lucky and she only used that jab twice and missed me both times.
Finally killed her today. I'm now ready for some Bloodborne as frustration of dying doesn't annoy me that much lol.

Also agree that other Valkyries were fun, this was not.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
When I killed the Queen I didn't take damage until she was at like 20% health. The only move that isn't heavily telegraphed is the jump. The only real difference between her attacks and the other Valkyries is that she can combo them together a bit more, but they're always the same combo.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
When I killed the Queen I didn't take damage until she was at like 20% health. The only move that isn't heavily telegraphed is the jump. The only real difference between her attacks and the other Valkyries is that she can combo them together a bit more, but they're always the same combo.
Don't really agree that the jab was heavily telegraphed, she just randomly lunges with an unblockable attack and hits for 75% of your health. And that is exactly what makes her so difficult, she has access to all of the other Valkyries gimmicks combined and she certainly does not always use them in the same order.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Don't really agree that the jab was heavily telegraphed, she just randomly lunges with an unblockable attack and hits for 75% of your health. And that is exactly what makes her so difficult, she has access to all of the other Valkyries gimmicks combined and she certainly does not always use them in the same order.

Jab is telegraphed by which side she approaches you from. If she dodges left it's the unblockable, if she dodges right it's... something else. I don't remember anymore; maybe the blockable swipe-combo-thing (which then could possibly have an unblockable at the end of it). That might also be backwards.

Reactions: wingsnut19

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Jab is telegraphed by which side she approaches you from. If she dodges left it's the unblockable, if she dodges right it's... something else. I don't remember anymore. That might also be backwards.
Can't say I noticed that. Wish I knew this last night. :D

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Can't say I noticed that. Wish I knew this last night. :D

Might not matter if she's right on top of you, but yea, was something I picked up in earlier fights.

And I was backwards, it was if she came from the right.

~2:35

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Just 100% the game on my "give me challenge"- playthrough. My grievances are pretty much the locked camera and how few different enemies there are in the game. Fighting troll after troll gets really boring as they mostly do the same things and these are supposed to be main "boss" fights you get in the game if you don't bother with Valkyries.

Still, great game and worth the price tag.

Haggard

High and Wide
Aug 15, 2005
Edmonton
I was really looking forward to digging into this as I have some time off starting today. That is until my PS4 Pro crapped the bed. Guess I have to wait a little longer! Loved the little bit of it I did get to play though

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Finally started this a few days ago.

A lot of fun but no depth whatsoever.

Glad I got it as a trade in because paying full price for this would have been brutal.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
It's basically Resident Evil 4 with melee combat rather than guns.

It's fun and very well put together but hardly what I'd call amazing.
I mean that's fine, you can have your own opinion and I'm not even sure what you mean by that comparison. And I mean the combat has a ton of depth alone it it, and the story only gets better the further you get. The world also has a lot of secret areas and things/challenges to do, so your depth comment I believe is just wrong.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Comparing something to RE4 isn't much of a criticism. Oh no, it reminds me of one of the best games of all time. What a rip off.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I git gud, started having a lot more fun and the story was epic if you do a bit of digging into Norse mythology: having Baldur be the last boss was sweet.

I must be getting old, took a while for me to get the hang of combat :laugh:

Last edited:

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
After beating Sigrun I decided to restart on Give me God of War.

After knowing, and getting used to, the combat abilities later on in the game, the beginning of the story where you can only slash and throw is pretty difficult and tedious.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
One of the top games of the past decade for me. The only other game that I was similarly invested in in the past ten years is The Witcher 3.

My only gripe is I felt like the ending came rather abruptly. I had just finished up Muspelheim and then the Brok and Sindri quests and hadn't even went to Niflheim yet and it seemed like I went back to the storyline and it just finished right there. I'm happy I didn't mess around with the valkyries because I would have felt like I wasted my time getting all this great gear without much else to do.

I also agree that the Leviathan Axe combat in this game might be my favorite in any game. Just absolutely loved destroying everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->