Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Jovanovski = Norris said:
I really don't want Luongo to backup Brodeur.

The backup should be a battle-tested veteran who has nerves of steel and can be thrown into pressure situations and remain calm, cool and collected. I don't trust a young guy like Luongo, who hasn't even played in the playoffs, to help provide that.

I like Luongo as a 3rd string goalie, a young goalie who would come, gain some experience, and give Canada a veteran goalie at the 2010 Olympics. But as a backup goalie who will be used minimally and only in desperate situations (when Brodeur's shelled out and we can't give up another goal), I would much prefer a proven veteran like Joseph or even Belfour or even Turco or even Theodore.

Agree. You don't necesarily need the best goalie skill wise for a backup, you need the best back up goalie.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
If Marty is Canada's achillies heel, this team is pretty freaking strong. God I love this country.

Dear God, this thread may be the funniest one yet.

A decade of certifiable Hall of Fame play, a Gold Medal already won, still in his prime...yet based on two months of less that amazing NHL play, Martin Brodeur becomes a liability! :biglaugh:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Canada had depth in 1998, but that didn't stop the Czechs.

Point being, Canada is in a crisis of goaltending: Do they go with Olympic experience which is underperforming this season, or youth between the pipes that IS doing well, but has no Olympic experience?

Brodeur's going to get the nod, but what happens if he slips in the Tournament, or gives up a bad decision in the round robin? or even worse, becomes injured?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
roshiajin said:
yeah but you already know that Brodeur and Luongo are gonna be there, Joseph being the number 3

and besides, Canada has the most depth at ANY POSITION. I'm not bashing any other country, but just like the US in baseball, Canada is number 1 in ice hockey.
Dude, if you say Canada is to Hockey like America is to Baseball, then you all might want to pray long and hard to your gods.

Team USA didn't even play in the 2004 Olympics, they were eliminated in the qualifiers

And NO, don't even bring up Basketball, Argentina has our number there :sarcasm:

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Trottier said:

A decade of certifiable Hall of Fame play, a Gold Medal already won, still in his prime...yet based on two months of less that amazing NHL play, Martin Brodeur becomes a liability! :biglaugh:

In another recent thread, these youngsters were proclaiming Marty to be "old" and "on the backside".

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
futurcorerock said:
Dude, if you say Canada is to Hockey like America is to Baseball, then you all might want to pray long and hard to your gods.

Team USA didn't even play in the 2004 Olympics, they were eliminated in the qualifiers

And NO, don't even bring up Basketball, Argentina has our number there :sarcasm:

Not comparable in this instance. Olympic baseball has never featured the very best (read:MLB) players.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Rabid Ranger said:
Not comparable in this instance. Olympic baseball has never featured the very best (read:MLB) players.
You quoted the wrong guy then, I wasn't making much comparison.

Plus, IIRC Canada didn't have their 'best' in 98 -- Patrick Roy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
futurcorerock said:
Canada had depth in 1998, but that didn't stop the Czechs.

Point being, Canada is in a crisis of goaltending: Do they go with Olympic experience which is underperforming this season, or youth between the pipes that IS doing well, but has no Olympic experience?

Brodeur's going to get the nod, but what happens if he slips in the Tournament, or gives up a bad decision in the round robin? or even worse, becomes injured?

And then Luongo goes in. He has just as much International experience as any other countries goalies (save Hasek). Canada has no worries in net. The only problem we have is which all-star players to leave home.

espo*

futurcorerock said:

They sure are pal...............the U.S.A(while being the favourite) will be in tough against teams like the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico,don't kid yourself.There is no-one to pitch to from the top to the bottom in their orders either,just like the States.You'll probably win.............but it won't be any cake-walk,not these days.You think you would have learned that from basketball.....................the world is catching up.American football you'd cream everyone,not in Baseball though.You're pretty much comparable to Canada in this athletic event.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
They will have a world best competition soon and you'll get some difficult games, i garuntee it.You may possibly lose,it'as not inconcievable whatsoever.if it's a one game elimination final i would hardly think it's in the bag against teams like the Dominican or Rico.They'll have kick-*** teams.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
futurcorerock said:
You quoted the wrong guy then, I wasn't making much comparison.

Plus, IIRC Canada didn't have their 'best' in 98 -- Patrick Roy

You're the one who brought up Olympic baseball.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
They will have a world best competition soon and you'll get some difficult games, i garuntee it.You may possibly lose,it'as not inconcievable whatsoever.if it's a one game elimination final i would hardly think it's in the bag against teams like the Dominican or Rico.They'll have kick-*** teams.

Not really the forum for this, but I agree, the U.S. will not waltz through the World Baseball Classic.

RangersFan88*

Mr Kanadensisk said:
Canada has by far the most depth in goal, but I'm a little concerned that Hasek, Lundqvist or Kiprusoff could steal the show. I'm not that impressed with anyone on our list right now.

Belfour - over the hill
Brodeur - not having a good season
Cloutier - god help us if he plays
Joseph - chokes under pressure
Luongo - hard to evaluate because his team sucks
Raycroft - I'd rather use Cloutier
Theodore - been good but not great this year
Turco - been quite good, but unproven in pressure games
Ward - not even the # 1 goalie on his team!

One of these guys had better step it up in the next two months!

i like your thoughts ^^ very good LOOL
specially the comment on raycroft ... just great :biglaugh:

well thats the days people in canada wish back roy :teach:
but i have to say turco is playingvery good so does theodore
my three goalies they gonna take are
turco ,theodore and number 3 i dunno ,the rest isnt playing that good right now but i guess brodeur will still step up ,i still believe in him :innocent:

well i guess the czechs are gonna win it :yo:
cant go wrong with hasek :bow:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
They sure are pal...............the U.S.A(while being the favourite) will be in tough against teams like the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico,don't kid yourself.There is no-one to pitch to from the top to the bottom in their orders either,just like the States.You'll probably win.............but it won't be any cake-walk,not these days.You think you would have learned that from basketball.....................the world is catching up.American football you'd cream everyone,not in Baseball though.You're pretty much comparable to Canada in this athletic event.

Learned what from basketball? There has never been a truly best on best international competition in baseball. The World Baseball Classic will be the first such event. As for your last statement, are you comparing the U.S. in baseball to Canada in hockey?

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Not really the forum for this, but I agree, the U.S. will not waltz through the World Baseball Classic.
True.I still think they will win it though.Too much talent depth in every position.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Learned what from basketball? There has never been a truly best on best international competition in baseball. The World Baseball Classic will be the first such event. As for your last staement, are you comparing the U.S. in baseball to Canada in hockey?
well,learned what Canada learned a long time ago...............you just can't send good to great pros,throw them together and expect to romp over everyone(which is really what they thought until the last world's in basketball) Countries are catching up and playing as a collective unit and have damn GOOD talent comparable to the U.S's best now,even if they don't all play in the NBA.That's what baseball fans in the U.S should have learned.And for some teams like i mentioned it's gonna be worse then the basketball example,because some teams are going to be all major leaguers and stars at that!! I think that competition is one game knock-out in a final game too.......................the U.S MAY not win,one hot big-time pitcher and some hot bats and she's over!!.Some fans seem to think they'll steamroll everyone(like we used to think in hockey) but i highly doubt it.Even Japan will be pretty good.

And yeah i am comparing the U.S in baseball to Canada in hockey...........it's not that far off.You are going to see some damn good teams in that baseball classic,i'm tellin ya................you may not win,you really may not.I think you most likely will win but it's far from in the bag,it really isn't.Fans in the U.S could be in for a shock,they truly could be.I'm not joking.

Just like we have some fans who are way too overconfident in hockey(especially in the past) you've got some fans who think basketball competitions and baseball showdowns are garunteed U.S wins......................they ain't anymore.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Trottier said:

Marty was the best goalie in hockey from the time Hasek first retired through to the 04 World Cup. I don't think there is any question that on paper Canada has the best forward and defense corp's in the world. But as the American's taught us in 96, and the Czech's in 98, a hot goalie and strong team play can bring down our beloved Team Canada. The goalie is by far the most important player on the ice, and Canada does not look like it will have the best goaltender in the tournament. My money is still on Gretz, but this won't be a cake walk!

Default101

yea it comes down to Turco/Joseph for #3 but i think Luongo will steal the starting position from Brodeur here, he's been playing amazing from what i've seen i'd feel totally comfortable with him in net, Brodeur hasn't been playing that good this season but the more pressure the better he is it seems so i wouldn't be overly worried there, depending on how worried team canada's selection commitee is will depend on who they take, i think if they're worried they'd take Joseph, if they feel comfortable with Brodeur/Luongo they'll bring Turco to get him some experience

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
RangersFan88 said:
well i guess the czechs are gonna win it :yo:
cant go wrong with hasek :bow:

I thought Hasek was already confirmed as not going?

Anyway, I realize it may not be a popular opinion, but I'd really like to see Joseph be the back up to Marty Brodeur. Not that I see it happening, but if Brodeur does stink up the ice in the first game, I could see Cujo take over and win Canada gold this year like Brodeur did in 2002.

DracoFulmineus

Out in a storm
Dec 7, 2005
with a steel pole
Well, I've got my fingers crossed for Brodeur, then Cujo, then Turco(or Luongo). Hmm, I guess it's not really my business, though, since I'm American.
Stop looking at me like that!
I'm not a traitor, I swear!! :propeller

Well, it doesn't matter who Canada's goalies are, no one can beat the US with Grahame as our third. :sarcasm:

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Brodeur should be number one. He has won when it counts and plays his best behind great teams. On the other hand, Joseph plays his best behind bad teams and has yet to win any big championships (from what I recall). As a backup, I would prefer Luongo, who is more of a vet than Joseph in big international tournements. Especially if he gets to wear the big equipment.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
As much as I hate Dallas, I'm hoping Turco is the #2 goaltender. He has been playing well, and he handles the puck very much like Brodeur. I think that fact is very important, especially considering there will be no restrictions on goaltenders playing the puck in the Olympics. In such a short tournament, the defence doesn't have enough time to adjust to how a different goalie handles the puck, so I like the consistency from Brodeur to Turco if Marty goes down. Canada was rock solid defensively in the World Cup, until they allowed 40+ shots to the Czechs in the semi-finals. I don't think it was a coincidence that Luongo played in net that game. Our D had a hard time adjusting to his style of play and gave up a lot more chances as a result - I also think Brodeur's rebound control (when he is on his game) is superior to Luongo's.

That said, I'm still comfortable with Marty in net. While he is not having a great season, he is a proven big game goaltender. 3 cups, 2 vezinas, Olympic gold, World Cup gold - he's the man.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Why is everyone so against Luongo as a backup? Hasn't made the playoffs yes, but he's been apart of 2 world championship teams. He has the ability to be a backup in the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad