Goaltender Shootout Streaks

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
What if a player misses the net or hits the post/crossbar, does that still count as a "save" for the goalie?

It does per the NHL's algorithms.

I do have the data separately in my database (although it also relies on the team scorekeepers determining whether or not a non-goal was a save or a miss).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Funny how at some point in the 11-12 season (ironically) or so Hank has regressed in the shootout. He has improved as a goalie but regressed in the shootout. Maybe it's more random than we'd like to believe.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Funny how at some point in the 11-12 season (ironically) or so Hank has regressed in the shootout. He has improved as a goalie but regressed in the shootout. Maybe it's more random than we'd like to believe.

I tried something awhile back that suggested that the year-to-year correlation is positive, but not very much so (certainly far less repeatable than other goalie statistics).

This is something I need to reprise.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Last night, Buffalo's Robin Lehner allowed his eighth and ninth consecutive shootout goals against, an NHL record:

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/lehner.html

Lehner is 0-for-8 this season, and has not stopped a shootout attempt since one year ago today - March 5, 2016 (Zach Parise).

Lehner has now lost eight consecutive shootouts, not earning a win since December 13, 2014 against Boston (while he was still with Ottawa).

Reactions: seventieslord

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Will also be interesting if Jhonas Enroth ever gets another chance to extend his 22-save shootout streak.

Lundqvist still with the all-time mark (25).

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I don't see my old thread here, so I'll eventually rebuild that.

Carey Price stopped 3-of-3 Buffalo shooters last night, and now has an active shootout save streak of nine.

The last player to score on Price was Mats Zuccarello on February 21.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Malcolm Subban stopped four more (Vancouver) shootout attempts last night, and is still a perfect 100% (13 for 13) on his NHL career in the event.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Mikko Koskinen has now stopped the first nine shootout attempts of his NHL career.

(Subban still at 13, Jones still holds the record from start of career at 17).

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Will also be interesting if Jhonas Enroth ever gets another chance to extend his 22-save shootout streak.

Lundqvist still with the all-time mark (25).

At this point, it does appear that Enroth won't get a chance to extend his shootout streak unless he decides to return from Minsk, so Lundqvist is safe (or as safe as these things get).

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
From Garon's Wiki page:

Following the 2006–07 season, Garon became an unrestricted free agent and on July 3, 2007, he signed a two-year, $2.2 million contract with the Edmonton Oilers.[2] Garon split time with incumbent starter Dwayne Roloson and his strong play earned him 47 appearances through which he posted a 2.66 GAA, .913 save percentage and four shutouts. Despite his efforts, the Oilers failed to qualify for the playoffs. However, Garon earned praise for going a perfect 10–0 in shootouts that season, stopping a remarkable 30 of 32 shot attempts in the process.[3]

To stop 30 of 32 shots sometimes gets a goalie first star in a game. To do the same thing on 32 uncontested breakaways is ridiculous. Can't ever see anyone topping this stat.

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Last night, Buffalo's Robin Lehner allowed his eighth and ninth consecutive shootout goals against, an NHL record:

Robin Lehner

Lehner is 0-for-8 this season, and has not stopped a shootout attempt since one year ago today - March 5, 2016 (Zach Parise).

Lehner has now lost eight consecutive shootouts, not earning a win since December 13, 2014 against Boston (while he was still with Ottawa).

Lehner's record is still the record, but Roberto Luongo now has an active "goals allowed" streak of six.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Malcolm Subban stopped four more (Vancouver) shootout attempts last night, and is still a perfect 100% (13 for 13) on his NHL career in the event.

Subban now at a perfect 16-for-16 in his NHL career with the win over Florida on Thursday.

(And Luongo's streak of goals allowed ended at six.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->