Goaltender Shootout Streaks

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Martin Jones is the real deal. I had a thread going last year regarding winstreaks to start a career and he was right in the mix. It's strange that he's been able to "excel" as much as he has in LA, given that his style is very different from the starter the system is tailored to (JQ). He's bigger than Quick, plays deeper in his crease, and commits less to the shot than Quicker, and I'm always impressed that our (at the moment) under manned D-corps is able to adjust between the two fairly different styles.

I can only hope he fetches the Kings more of a return than the similarily hyped Jonathon Bernier two or whatever seasons ago. Not that I'm doubting Dean Lombardi in any way, guy is an absolute wizard in the purest sense of the term. We've been completely spoiled as Kings fans for the last 4+ years :yo:

Fun time to be a Kings fan. I can say that as a fan since the 98-99 season. I'll be the first to admit I'm very defensive about it though, everyone assumes you're a bandwagonner hahaha:shakehead

Thanks for the stat/record though, I would have had no idea otherwise .

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Here's the list of longest shootout save streaks to date (through 11/25/2014) - I did this using a combination of my database and Excel functions, so it's possible that there are errors in either (or both).

Save Streak | Goaltender | Date
25|Henrik Lundqvist|12/7/2006
18|Craig Anderson|3/27/2011
17|Marc-Andre Fleury|2/7/2014
17|Martin Jones|11/25/2014
16|Marc-Andre Fleury|11/3/2011
16|Mathieu Garon|12/5/2008
16|Johan Hedberg|12/5/2009
16|Johan Holmqvist|2/6/2007
16|Tim Thomas|1/15/2007
15|Evgeni Nabokov|1/14/2010
15|Antero Niittymaki|10/7/2006

Date is the date of the last save (not the first goal after).

And just for the other end of the coin, these are the greatest number of consecutive goals allowed in shootouts.

Goal Streak | Goaltender | Date
7|Craig Anderson|12/7/2013
7|Niklas Backstrom|1/16/2008
7|Miikka Kiprusoff|4/15/2006

Apologies to any family members of Anderson, Backstrom, or Kiprusoff reading this.

Reactions: Mr Nogatco

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
To tie everything back together, Jones' streak (17) is the NHL record from the start of a career. Holmqvist's streak (16, on the first list) was from the start of his career.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Kiprusoff, for as good as he was, it felt like he couldn't stop a breakaway or PS or shootout...I don't know why...

Random smattering of goalies on the "good list" - the athletic Fleury twice, the redoubtable Lundqvist as the king, streaky Anderson, hybrid-ish Nabokov, the young anticipator Jones, the hilariously unpredictable Thomas and Holmqvist, and then largely backups like Hedberg, Garon and Niittymaki (maybe they played against bad teams often?)...there's no good way to explain that...

So, I'm going to report the post to try to get it deleted, as to not confuse any more people...

Reactions: Eisen

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
So, I'm going to report the post to try to get it deleted, as to not confuse any more people...

People who like goalie stuff are already inherently confused. :laugh:

One thing I could do would be a "strength of schedule" - given each *shooter's* historical shootout performance, how unlikely are these streaks (good and bad)?

Of course, the problem that you run into is that if a goaltender truly has shootout ability (or lack thereof), then that would affect the shooter's observed performance. Which is probably why I haven't tried to sort it all out yet.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Kiprusoff, for as good as he was, it felt like he couldn't stop a breakaway or PS or shootout...I don't know why...

Random smattering of goalies on the "good list" - the athletic Fleury twice, the redoubtable Lundqvist as the king, streaky Anderson, hybrid-ish Nabokov, the young anticipator Jones, the hilariously unpredictable Thomas and Holmqvist, and then largely backups like Hedberg, Garon and Niittymaki (maybe they played against bad teams often?)...there's no good way to explain that...

IDK about the other backups but I can attest to Garon. He was with the Oilers in '08 and that year for some reason, the Oilers went to the shootouts a ridiculous amount of times. I don't remember the opposition winning a single shootout when Garon was in net. He was so good in the shootout that year that whenever the Oilers made it to the shootout with Garon in net, I was confident they would come out with the win.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
IDK about the other backups but I can attest to Garon. He was with the Oilers in '08 and that year for some reason, the Oilers went to the shootouts a ridiculous amount of times. I don't remember the opposition winning a single shootout when Garon was in net. He was so good in the shootout that year that whenever the Oilers made it to the shootout with Garon in net, I was confident they would come out with the win.

Garon I thought was fairly solid as a King too in those rough 05-07 years. Probably the guy I was most confident in between the posts, though that's really not saying much. An ancient Sean Burke, completely done Dan Cloutier, and the brief but interesting Fukufuji experiment, among others being his competition. Complete carousel for a couple of seasons there.

And to support my earlier point, Jones picked up another shutout this evening against the Wild. Love his calmness and seeming maturity, along with his safe technically sound style. Exactly what I want to see out of a number two tender.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
His S/IoH (Saves per inch of height) must be off the charts for this type of list.

In all honesty, I've said for a few years now that he has a lot of talent, but he might be hardpressed to really stick in the league because of how small he is. But he's done a fine job in Buffalo this year, really terrific. I'm not sure if the numbers suggest just how important he has been to them. If he had more standup to his game, I'd call him the new Arturs Irbe. Willing a terrible team up to mediocrity...

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
He's a fun one to watch - and other than his first year in the AHL (17 for 27), he's been pretty consistently above average in the shootout.

I'm rooting for him; can't believe he's only 26, because it feels like he's been on the radar forever.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
And just for the other end of the coin, these are the greatest number of consecutive goals allowed in shootouts.

Goal Streak | Goaltender | Date
7|Craig Anderson|12/7/2013
7|Niklas Backstrom|1/16/2008
7|Miikka Kiprusoff|4/15/2006

Marc-Andre Fleury currently has an active streak of six goals allowed (the last five of which have come from Chicago shooters).

Fleury's also allowed six consecutive goals to Chicago shooters, although you have to go back to February 2011 to get the sixth.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Hutchinson is now 14 of 14 after that one.

And here's one to fox around with your database...Blake Wheeler absolutely broke Viktor Fasth in the first inning of the shootout. Bachman comes in with the shootout 1-0 Wpg, no one scores the rest of the way...Bachman gets a very tough to track down game played I guess...but should remain with no decision, I believe...

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Right you are on Hutch! Great run so far by him.

The Fasth/Bachman issue is a painful one for my database (although surely more painful for Fasth). I logged it correctly in the data (with a blank in the first shooter position for Bachman) but the way I've coded the PHP, it doesn't show up as a blank:

http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/bachman.html

Something I can fix when I'm back on my home machine instead of a laptop.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Hutchinson's streak sadly came to an end last night (at 15), courtesy Vladimir Tarasenko.

Alexander Steen then piled on, to give Hutch a different sort of streak.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
What if a player misses the net or hits the post/crossbar, does that still count as a "save" for the goalie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->