Goalies "Who's next"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
Ok, I know it's impossible to predict the next Esche or Kipper (guys who emerge to become the number one on their team) but I'd like to get some opinions from some of you that have seen these guys play.

I'm looking to draft two goalies to my fantasy KEEPER team. One will be active and the other on my "farm" team (only for players considered as rookies).

NOTE: this list will NOT include Emery, Oulette, Lehtonen, Fleury,Sauve as they have been already drafted and acquiring them would cost too much. Thanks

Bryzgalov: only saw him on TV during World Cup. Don't no much about him.

Toivonen: have never seen him play, better than Raycroft from what I've read

Miller: on TV in NHL, not sure when he'll get a chance

Krahn/Medvedev: ???

Gerber/Ward: Never seen either play

Crawford/Anderson/Leighton: I've only seen Crawford play in Moncton

LeClarie: When will he get a chance to back up Denis. Only seen him in the Q

Conklin/Markkanen: Don't know much about either

Garon: Could replace Chokemanek as starter this year

NYR: Who the hell knows!!!!!!!

Nittymaki: My "homer" pick. Will replace Burke but who knows with Bobby Clarke

LeNeveu: Who else do they have. Starting in the AHL this year?

Schwartz(?): don't know anything about him

Toskala: same as above

Tellqvist: How long can Eddies back hold up?

Auld: Good chance to play alot this year..er..sorry habit.

In this order I'm thinking of taking: Garon, Bryzgalov, Nitty, Gerber, Auld as my "active" starter.

"FARM" team: Toivonen, LeNeveu, LeClarie, Schwartz...

All opinions will be welcomed! Thanks :banana:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Toskala is known by San Jose fans as being as good as Kiprusoff was and could compete with Nabokov for starting position but for Nabbie's contract and experience.

In fact, go to the San Jose forum and you'll read it said that Toskala may be the best goalie yet to win a starting job in the NHL.

I've liked what little I've seen. But I haven't watched much Sharks the last two seasons.

In a keeper league draft Toskala. Rumours are Nabokov will get rich offers two seasons from now and small market San Jose won't be able to match. And he'll probably be traded before then to get some value before he's a free agent.

Vic Rattlehead*

Take Toivonen. He'll be a gem. Take Bryzgalov as well.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Honesty, watch out for Markkanen, I think he'll emerge as the Oilers top guy next season. He is just so solid around with the puck

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Take Auld. He'll replace Cloutier as the starter before the season is through (well, it has to start first). He's posted nothing but solid numbers in the past, and there's nothing to suggest that he won't keep doing so.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Don't take LeNeveu. He'll be in the AHL all season. Either Brent Johnson or Brian Boucher could fulfill his potential this season. If one gets hot, the Coyotes will be a playoff team.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Who the hell took Sauve before... any of those guys?

Anyways, I'd go with what most people are saying. Toskala etc.

But if you can, grab Ryan Miller late as he's been falling in alot of drafts I've seen done.

Then you could trade him for a better return.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
sevenSteen said:
I have little doubt that he will outplay Raycroft when the time comes. He is coming along very nicely....

Boston will be forced into trading one of them when Hannu makes the NHL.

The only thing that sucks in that story is that the habs and the bruins will never make good trading partners. That sucks.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Take Garon.

Young goalies coming out of Montreal usually shows they are for real. ;)

Well, it's a mid-joke but it's not totally trash:

Thibault.
Vokoun.

It's not something 100% correct, but i wouldnt count on Garon to break the rule.

He's going to be a good one, only 1 problem: Cechmanek (even if I dont like him, is a decent goalie)

IkeaMonkey*

sevenSteen said:
I have little doubt that he will outplay Raycroft when the time comes. He is coming along very nicely....

Boston will be forced into trading one of them when Hannu makes the NHL.

Agreed. I have watched Toivonen alot in Providence and I LOVE what I see with this kid.I even like him ahead of Oullette, Miller, Toskala(thought I like Vesa, ALOT), Blackburn and the other younger goalies(spare Lehtonen).

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Jagrock said:
Didnt see his name on your list so Id throw his name into the discussion.
Ahonen--NJ

Yeah this guys not bad either, just that Brodeur is in his way... The guy I think people should start to watch out for is Henrik Lundqvist. You could get him really late. He started for sweden in the world championship and hes unreal in the SEL. Top goalie there by far. I think you could probably get him in round 20 of a keeper league pretty easy and hes a sure fire number 1 if he crosses the pond, which should happen next year. Hes got some work cut out for him in the sense that the rangers have blackburn (possibly a bust by now in some peoples opinions, not mine) and Montoya but I think he should surpass them both, especially since hes got an extra year on them both at least. Hes still only 22 though. Other than that Id take toivo or Miller.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
blackburn has a few things working against him...mainly his shoulder injury that seems to be progressing slower than orginally thought (said to be out till december now...missed a year and a half by that point) and the fact that in 2005, he's no longer waiver protected so it's basically NHL or bust for him there.

montoya vs. lundqvist is tricky cuz they're different ages and different styles.

but...lundqvist is a good keeper and one to keep an eye on for sure, great late round pick by the rangers

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
IAMCANADIAN said:
Ok, I know it's impossible to predict the next Esche or Kipper (guys who emerge to become the number one on their team) but I'd like to get some opinions from some of you that have seen these guys play.

I'm looking to draft two goalies to my fantasy KEEPER team. One will be active and the other on my "farm" team (only for players considered as rookies).

NOTE: this list will NOT include Emery, Oulette, Lehtonen, Fleury,Sauve as they have been already drafted and acquiring them would cost too much. Thanks

Bryzgalov: only saw him on TV during World Cup. Don't no much about him.

Toivonen: have never seen him play, better than Raycroft from what I've read

Miller: on TV in NHL, not sure when he'll get a chance

Krahn/Medvedev: ???

Gerber/Ward: Never seen either play

Crawford/Anderson/Leighton: I've only seen Crawford play in Moncton

LeClarie: When will he get a chance to back up Denis. Only seen him in the Q

Conklin/Markkanen: Don't know much about either

Garon: Could replace Chokemanek as starter this year

NYR: Who the hell knows!!!!!!!

Nittymaki: My "homer" pick. Will replace Burke but who knows with Bobby Clarke

LeNeveu: Who else do they have. Starting in the AHL this year?

Schwartz(?): don't know anything about him

Toskala: same as above

Tellqvist: How long can Eddies back hold up?

Auld: Good chance to play alot this year..er..sorry habit.

In this order I'm thinking of taking: Garon, Bryzgalov, Nitty, Gerber, Auld as my "active" starter.

"FARM" team: Toivonen, LeNeveu, LeClarie, Schwartz...

All opinions will be welcomed! Thanks :banana:

You really think that the asking price of Sauve or Oullette would be more than Bryzgalov, Toskala, Ward or LeNeveu?

I happen to think that Toskala will make Nabakov expendable in the next year or two. He has big game attitude, great reflexes, reads the play, and makes tough saves look routine, because he is so well positioned. San Jose knows what they are doing when they draft keepers.

Ward - Big goalie, who will be the no. 1 guy in Carolina in the very near future.

Gerber - Very good goalie, but on that team, you probably won't be able to tell. Will fill the need until Ward is ready.

Schwarz - This guy is the real deal. A step down from Lehtonen and Fleury at this point, but he will be one to watch. St. Louis has done an incredible job. In one off season, where they were one of the worst teams in the league when it came to goaltending depth, they traded for Bacashuia, picked up Lalime, who is a very good goalie during the regular season, and drafted Schwarz...They are set for the next decade. Once Schwarz is ready to step in, the Blues will fill other needs, by dealing from strength and shipping Bacashuia and or Lalime. Genious.

Toivonen - This guy although he won't get a serious chance in Boston, behind Raycroft, is going to great! Big, mobile, quick feet, and just an overall very good goalie. Boston won't have to worry about their keepers for a very long time.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
ax²+bx+c said:
Toivonen being that good. Wow, that's good news, I hope it might give the habs a chance to grab Raycroft.

Do yourself a favour, and don't wait by your phone for that trade to happen.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
PhoPhan said:
Don't take LeNeveu. He'll be in the AHL all season. Either Brent Johnson or Brian Boucher could fulfill his potential this season. If one gets hot, the Coyotes will be a playoff team.

IF? Why would management take such a risk if they thought they could be a playoff team this year? I think that Boucher will be the guy, but, LeNeveu should be the backup over has been Johnson. The Coyotes have made some very good deals and have addressed many needs this off season, but they still have a question mark in the net. LeNeveu could be the answer, but he's not ready yet!

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
sevenSteen said:
Definately Hannu Toivonen. Nothing will get in his way, mark my words.

Nothing except a little guy they like to call...ANDREW RAYCROFT! The rookie of the year, I would like to remind you...Do you really think that his year was a fluke? I grant you that with the turnover on the Bruins roster, they have quite a few holes to fill, and may not be the same team of a year ago, but Raycroft looks like the real deal, and Toivonen will have to sit and wait his turn, if it ever comes in Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->