Goalies who SINGLE handedly swept teams in the last 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

Which goalies would you say single handedly swept their opposition by themselves in the last 10 year . (By swept I mean as in 4 games not more)

I would say Patrick Roy in 1996 finals against Florida. He had one shutout and allowed only 4 goals in the series. Made about 145 saves or something in that series.

Another one would be Dominik Hasek in 98 vs my habs. We were playing the best hockey in years but just couldn't solve the dominator. He made like a total of 140 saves himself I think.

Then Hasek did it again vs. Ottawa in 99. He had one shutout and allowed only 6 goals in those 4 games. Again his series save total was around 150. Just incredible.

Next has to be CUUUUJOOOOOO vs Ottawa... 2001..... He shutout Ottawa for 2 straight games and only allowed a total of 3 goals in this series. He was like a god in net.

Finally Mister J.S. JIGUERE. Conn Smythe winner and deservedly so. I'm talking about the series vs. Minnesota. He had THREE SHUTOUTS in this series and only gave up one goal in the final game. I dont care if Minnesota wasnt the best team. Anyone who gets 3 shutouts and allows one goal in the other on an average team like Anaheim is awesome IMO.

Share yours!!

Last edited by a moderator:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
KOVALEV10 said:
Finally Mister J.S. JIGUERE. Conn Smythe winner and deservedly so. I'm talking about the series vs. Minnesota. He had THREE SHUTOUTS in this series and only gave up one goal in the final game. I dont care if Minnesota wasnt the best team. Anyone who gets 3 shutouts and allows one goal in the other on an average team like Anaheim is awesome IMO.

Share yours!!

Giguere vs. Detroit as well.

Anaheim was a better than average team though. People forget how good Oates, Ozolinsh, Carney, Niedermayer, Rucchin, Leclerc, Salei, and Thomas were during the playoffs. Thats a pretty good veteran core. Imagine if Kariya and Sykora had played as good as they are capable of.

Jennifer

Dec 9, 2003
obscurity
Visit site
i was just getting ready ot say Giguere vs Detroit... that imo was and still is 10 times more impressive than the Minn series...even with the 3 SOs

162 shots on goal in 4 games... the first game was 64 sog ...Giguere had 62 saves that game and thats the most saves in a playoff start...
Also...to beat a team as good as Detroit after they won the Cup the year before... and from going 0-8 against Detroit in 1997 and 1999...

(man im gonna miss the playoffs this year)

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
nnifeerj said:
i was just getting ready ot say Giguere vs Detroit... that imo was and still is 10 times more impressive than the Minn series...even with the 3 SOs

162 shots on goal in 4 games... the first game was 64 sog ...Giguere had 62 saves that game and thats the most saves in a playoff start...
Also...to beat a team as good as Detroit after they won the Cup the year before... and from going 0-8 against Detroit in 1997 and 1999...

(man im gonna miss the playoffs this year)

I remember the first game VS Detroit. It was clear in my head that Anaheim would not lost in OT, and that's what happen.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
giguere = the goalie who most single handedly swept a team in the the last 10 years vs wings.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
The most surprising one has to be Giguere. Most of the people did not know who he was at the start of the season escept maybe the people from Anaheim. But after the win against Detroit everybody knew who he was.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
i don't know about actual four game sweeps, but Hasek was ridiculous that year Buffalo made the finals

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
Next has to be CUUUUJOOOOOO vs Ottawa... 2001..... He shutout Ottawa for 2 straight games and only allowed a total of 3 goals in this series. He was like a god in net.

I wouldn't say Cujo in 2001. Yes it was a sweep, and yes he only let in 3 goals. But not 1 player on Ottawa showed up that series. They played for 5 minutes at the end of game 3, that's it (when they tied it 2-2, until Cory Cross in OT). I could have been in net, and the Leafs still would have won.

acr*

The Bruins seem to run into hot as hell goalies every year who steal away our playoff hopes(it should be noted we had guys like Dafoe and Jon Casey in net). Not many sweeps, but they do visibly kill us. Theodore, Brodeur, Thoedore, Hasek, Kolzig, the Beezer, Brodeur, Brodeur...etc.

Thankfully the tide can be turned in the future with Raycroft or Toivonen going for us

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
CoupeStanley said:
Hasek against Habs in 1998.

The Habs dominate the series, but get swept in 4 by a RED HOT Hasek.

Agreed, we were dominating the Sabres but Hasek was godly.

EDIT: LOL, I also forgot to mention Stevenson was the only guy who seemed to be able to solve him.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
CoupeStanley said:
Hasek against Habs in 1998.

The Habs dominate the series, but get swept in 4 by a RED HOT Hasek.

I was going to name that one as well. I mean Turner Stevenson was our #1 player that series, proof Hasek stoned everyone else.

TVanek26*

Habsaku said:
Agreed, we were dominating the Sabres but Hasek was godly.

No you weren't.It's not like we were winning 1 or 2 nothing,we were scoring goals.Matt Barnaby of all people scored a hat trick against you.Sure Hasek helped,but dominating us?Please.

KOVALEV10*

DanielBriere48 said:
No you weren't.It's not like we were winning 1 or 2 nothing,we were scoring goals.Matt Barnaby of all people scored a hat trick against you.Sure Hasek helped,but dominating us?Please.

Shots on goal

1st game: 3-2 Win Buffalo
MTL: 48 (Only 2 goals)
Buffalo: 26 (3 goals)

2nd Game: 6-3 Win
Montreal: 26 Shots: 3 goals
Buffalo: 24 Shots: 5 goals

3rd Game: 5-4 OT Win Buffalo
Montreal: 46 Shots!! (only 4 goals)
Buffalo: 31 Shots: (5 goals)

4th game: 3-1 Win Buffalo
Montreal: 38 Shots (1 goal)
Buffalo: 18 Shots (3 goals)

Total number of shots in series:
Montreal:158 (10 goals)
Buffalo: 99 (16 goals)

Total Shots average in series:
Montreal: 39.5
Buffalo: 24.75

See we had games in which we outshot you guys 48 to 26, 46 to 31 and 38 to 18 and we still lost by a wide margin because of your incredible goaltending and our sucky goaltending. Only game that was close was the 2nd one in which we still outshot you guys 26 to 24 yet still lose 6-3. To say Hasek wasnt the reason you guys swept us and that we didnt dominate is wrong.

BigStar

Mar 30, 2004
Saint John
KOVALEV10 said:
Shots on goal

1st game: 3-2 Win Buffalo
MTL: 48 (Only 2 goals)
Buffalo: 26 (3 goals)

2nd Game: 6-3 Win
Montreal: 26 Shots: 3 goals
Buffalo: 24 Shots: 5 goals

3rd Game: 5-4 OT Win Buffalo
Montreal: 46 Shots!! (only 4 goals)
Buffalo: 31 Shots: (5 goals)

4th game: 3-1 Win Buffalo
Montreal: 38 Shots (1 goal)
Buffalo: 18 Shots (3 goals)

Total number of shots in series:
Montreal:158 (10 goals)
Buffalo: 99 (16 goals)

Total Shots average in series:
Montreal: 39.5
Buffalo: 24.75

See we had games in which we outshot you guys 48 to 26, 46 to 31 and 38 to 18 and we still lost by a wide margin because of your incredible goaltending and our sucky goaltending. Only game that was close was the 2nd one in which we still outshot you guys 26 to 24 yet still lose 6-3. To say Hasek wasnt the reason you guys swept us and that we didnt dominate is wrong.

damn right, we were robbed!

chooch*

Why only in past 10 years?

Dryden v. Bruins 71 was legendary.

Meloche v. Habs 80

Penney v. Bruins 84

Roy v. Rangers 86

budscweizer16

Jun 14, 2004
Prospect Park(outsid
Not exactly sweeps, but heres a few

The Beezer against the Flyers in 1996, was amazing

Lalime against Flyers in i believe 2001( year they could score goals, scored 2 or 3 whole series)

KOVALEV10*

chooch said:
Why only in past 10 years?

Dryden v. Bruins 71 was legendary.

Meloche v. Habs 80

Penney v. Bruins 84

Roy v. Rangers 86

3 of the 4 series you listed were not sweeps as in one team sweeping the other in 4 games but Penny vs. the Bruins which only was best of 5 series.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
KOVALEV10 said:
Then Hasek did it again vs. Ottawa in 99. He had one shutout and allowed only 6 goals in those 4 games. Again his series save total was around 150. Just incredible.

I followed that series pretty closely and while Hasek was Buffalo`s best player, he didn`t singlehandedly steal the series IMO. I`ll admit he stole Game 1, Buffalo won 2-1 despite being grossly outshot but as for the rest of the series; Game 2 was a double-OT that was fairly even and could`ve gone either way, after that it seemed like Ottawa gave up. In Game 3 i can`t remember one good scoring chance by the Senators; Probably the easiest shutout of Hasek`s career. If anyone has the actual shot totals for that series i`d appreciate seeing them.

Also, although it doesn`t qualify in the ten-year topic area, Curtis Joseph definitely single-handedly beat Chicago 4 straight in the first round in `93.

KOVALEV10*

reckoning said:
I followed that series pretty closely and while Hasek was Buffalo`s best player, he didn`t singlehandedly steal the series IMO. I`ll admit he stole Game 1, Buffalo won 2-1 despite being grossly outshot but as for the rest of the series; Game 2 was a double-OT that was fairly even and could`ve gone either way, after that it seemed like Ottawa gave up. In Game 3 i can`t remember one good scoring chance by the Senators; Probably the easiest shutout of Hasek`s career. If anyone has the actual shot totals for that series i`d appreciate seeing them.

Also, although it doesn`t qualify in the ten-year topic area, Curtis Joseph definitely single-handedly beat Chicago 4 straight in the first round in `93.

Game 1: 2-1 Win Buffalo
Buffalo: 15 Shots
Ottawa: 41 shots

Game 2: 3-2 Win OT Buffalo
Buffalo: 39 Shots
Ottawa: 47 Shots

Game 3: 3-0 Win Buffalo
Buffalo: 26 Shots
Ottawa: 31 Shots

Game 4: 4-3 Win Ottawa
Buffalo: 26 Shots
Ottawa: 43 Shots

In the first three games Ottawa outshot Buffalo 119 to 80 yet only scored 3 times which is incredible. Game 4 Hasek made 40 saves again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad