Goalies... hardest shot to save?

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Leaf_Crazy said:
Goalies, what is the hardest shot to save?

Oh, you'd just love if we told you, wouldn't you?
Then you'd be destroying us all night long.

I don't think so...... ;)

Seriously, I hate it when puck carrier cuts across the ice, and uses my own D as a shield/scrren and wrists one about a foot and a half off the ice to my blocker side - I've told my D MANY TIMES to force the shooter, or make him walk around you, but do they listen????

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Why a shooter cut in the middle, about 12-15 feets of the net, and then shoot on the other side where

!
!
!
(___________(wrister)
______________/
_____________/
____________/
___________/
__________/
_________/
________/
_______!_______! (net)

Last edited:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
RSBPC said:
Five-hole...get the goalie moving side to side and it will open up. I've been giving up quite a few five hole goals lately, and it is starting to **** with my head, which throws the rest of my game off.

Maybe I need to borrow some pads from Garth Snow.
Nah, Snow's been giving up a lot to the 5hole lately too. He claims it's because his pads are too worn in, don't have the stiffness to stop shots they should be stopping. So you probably don't want those.

Anyway, keep your stick down when you're moving side to side. Really, keep your stick down anyway. Unless there's a shot going stick side you're trying to save, there's really no good reason to take your stick off the ice. But when your stick's along the ice, even if your legs are apart, there's still just that little triangle above the stick to shoot at, and that's a pretty difficult target. Turns a high percentage shot into a low percentage shot.

As for the original question, depends on what the goalie's doing. Basically, shoot where he isn't. If he's up, go low, if he's down go high. Over the shoulder is killer if they're in the butterfly deep in the net, but useless if they're standing or are playing far out. If they're far out, try to deke.

One last thing, on the stick side vs. glove side, I've found it depends on how long they've playing goalie, or if they played baseball. Basically, if they've been playing goalie or baseball since they were a kid, they tend to be stronger gloveside, since it's in a more ideal position to make saves than the blocker. Otherwise, they're often stronger stick side, as it's their dominant hand so the reflexes and coordination are better.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Depends what your strengths are...

The most important thing is to make the goalie shift his level of vision. So, you should make a little deke before shooting when you can - or throw a deke in there every now and then before releasing. By the time he refocuses, the puck will be on the way.

Keep your release short and sweet. Big wind-ups look good, but are useless. You might lose a couple mph on your shot with a shorter windup, but you will gain a bigger advantage in timing and fooling the goalie.

Depending on the level of competition and the goalie's talent, it's better to fool the goalie than try to overpower him. Being deceptive is always the best way to score.

Also, you should shoot from prime scoring areas, especially if you only have an average shot.

Low stick side, underneath the arms, and above the crook of the glove arm are prime scoring areas, but it depends on the goalie. Watch the goalie in warmup to figure out weaknesses. Smaller goalies sometimes have good glove hands, so you can go high blocker....big goalies are often weak down low or after they go down have trouble recovering.

NHLers often tend to shoot in predictable areas earlier in the game and save anything they've picked up in the warmup for later in the game.

More advanced stuff are to have different release points, like Sakic and Richards. The goalie doesn't expect a shot when you are at full speed and the puck is in your feet or when the puck is in front of you, etc. When skating full speed and you are in a scoring area, or can use a D as a screen, pretending to lose the puck, then letting a half-slapper go sometimes works for me too.

Also, when you approach the net, you should take an angle. If you have time, make the goalie move across the net, then shoot it back against the grain.

etc etc etc

Shoot for mesh.

Last edited:

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
I play street, so maybe my opinion dosent count, but I find a wrister to the high glove side gives me alot of problems. Stick side? As "Black Bush" from Chappelle's Show would say, "I GOT that shvt under control!"

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
For most goalies, shooting low and shooting stick side will give the shooter and advantage. Although a lot of people like to shoot up high, it's not the best idea unless you have a very accurate shot. The goalie can see high shots better than low shots. Plus, it's easier for the goalie to move his arms quickly than to move his legs quickly. That's why in my experience the goalies are always making nice glove saves but can't save a thing shot down around their feet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->