Goalies for '06 draft-how many RD#1? RD#2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
How many goalies will go in round #1 this year and how many in round #2--and where do you expect them to go--I haven't seen many lists predicting any in the top ten overall--so I guess the next bands are:

from 10-19
from 20-30
from 31-40
from 41-60

Name the goalies you think might go in those bands...

I believe the Blackhawks will take a goalie with one of their 2 second rounders (the early pick could be as high as second or even first (if PITT catches CHI) in round two --but I wonder if a good goalie prospect will still be there at possibly #60 (if OTT wins the Cup,since Hawks own OTT's pick from the arnason trade)...

In other words,is it more valuable for the Hawks to grab a forward (maybe Grabner,Burki,Giroux) should they be available early in round two and wait for a still good goalie prospect at potentially the last or near last pick of the round,OR not
gamble since maybe the 3rd,4th,5th best goalie in this draft is off the board by the
60th pick--in other words,I'm assuming at least two goalies go in round one--so are the 3rd or 4th best goalie prospects (or maybe the 4th and 5th best --should 3 go in round one) really that good that they MUST be grabbed off early in round two?

insider

Nov 14, 2003
hawksfan50 said:
How many goalies will go in round #1 this year and how many in round #2--and where do you expect them to go--I haven't seen many lists predicting any in the top ten overall--so I guess the next bands are:

from 10-19 Jonathan Bernier
from 20-30 none
from 31-40 Leland Irving
from 41-60 Reto Berra

Name the goalies you think might go in those bands...

I believe the Blackhawks will take a goalie with one of their 2 second rounders (the early pick could be as high as second or even first (if PITT catches CHI) in round two --but I wonder if a good goalie prospect will still be there at possibly #60 (if OTT wins the Cup,since Hawks own OTT's pick from the arnason trade)...

In other words,is it more valuable for the Hawks to grab a forward (maybe Grabner,Burki,Giroux) should they be available early in round two and wait for a still good goalie prospect at potentially the last or near last pick of the round,OR not
gamble since maybe the 3rd,4th,5th best goalie in this draft is off the board by the
60th pick--in other words,I'm assuming at least two goalies go in round one--so are the 3rd or 4th best goalie prospects (or maybe the 4th and 5th best --should 3 go in round one) really that good that they MUST be grabbed off early in round two?

my opinion

insider

Nov 14, 2003
I actually think he'll slip to the fourth. Not too many college goalies have gone high.
Montoya and Schneider (maybe Frazee) are the only onles I can think of

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
insider said:
I actually think he'll slip to the fourth. Not too many college goalies have gone high.

Howard went in the 2nd... not as high as Montoya or Schneider though.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Watch for a Euro goalie or two to go high on draft day as it's a decent year for Euro goalies. Finland's Helenius and Hoivonen, Sweden's Enroth, Russia's Varlamov, Czech's Neuwirth. The WU18's should see one or two of them bolt up the charts.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
steblick said:
Watch for a Euro goalie or two to go high on draft day as it's a decent year for Euro goalies. Finland's Helenius and Hoivonen, Sweden's Enroth, Russia's Varlamov, Czech's Neuwirth. The WU18's should see one or two of them bolt up the charts.

What's yur take on Reto Berra?

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
insider said:
my opinion
Top 10-19 1 Jonathan Bernier
Top 20-30 None
Top 31-40 Reto Berra Leland Irving Billy Sauer
Top 41-60 Riku Helenius

Goaltenders are going to go down in the draft because of the length it takes them to develop vs how long their rights are held. Bernier has consistently been in 10-20 range. The Blackhawks seem likely to draft a goalie. The Caps will draft at least 1 and likely 2. Since no Montoya's are available,Ii look for us to use 2 2nd's on Goalies. Helenius will be picked by someone needing a goalie in their system.

Transported Upstater

borro said:
What's yur take on Reto Berra?

What's your take on Yogi Berra?

EDIT: When you come to a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

insider

Nov 14, 2003
TransportedUpstater said:
What's your take on Yogi Berra?

EDIT: When you come to a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

I actually think Berra's teammate Mathias Joggi will be picked in a late round.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just my personal opinion, but taking a goalie is not the greatest move. Most goalies don't mature till 23-25, so you basically will get a few years out of them before they become free agents.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
insider said:

You don't have a very good memory.

IkeaMonkey*

boredmale said:
Just my personal opinion, but taking a goalie is not the greatest move. Most goalies don't mature till 23-25, so you basically will get a few years out of them before they become free agents.

Sounds like most players who are picked outside the top say..10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->