Goalie situation

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
My galaxy brain take is Freddie can't lose in the first round if he simply doesn't play in the first round

What a sinister way to make half of Leafs nation contemplate suicided!

applying 'everything everywhere all at once' rules (absolutely great f'n movie, btw), there exists a reality where the canes make it to the finals, freddie hurt all the while, and go down 3-0. then freddie is activated and has three straight shutouts. finally, jake gardiner comes off ltir for game seven, scoring the quadruple overtime winner (1-0).

toronto burns. they rebuild, then burn it again.

Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
First 2 games, Canes protected Koch. We didn't know what we had.

However, last night, Koch's play won the game for the Canes.

There's something about his play that in addition to his skill brings out the best in teams he fronts....Wolves and now Canes.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If pyotr goes on a roll and wins round one, would we take him out for round 2?
I'd say no, roll with the hot hand. If Freddie back healthy by then if Pyotr struggled and we dropped a couple games then you switch to Freddie. But if we're winning games with goals and Pyotr doesn't look special I'd put Freddie in as soon as he's healthy enough.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So who starts in net tomorrow? I don't want to risk using Raanta OR Kochetkov. In all seriousness, given our goalie situation I'd think about bringing up LaFontaine for the game, even if we need to send a waivers exempt player down (on paper) to make room capwise.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
So who starts in net tomorrow? I don't want to risk using Raanta OR Kochetkov. In all seriousness, given our goalie situation I'd think about bringing up LaFontaine for the game, even if we need to send a waivers exempt player down (on paper) to make room capwise.
I think it'll be Pyotr tomorrow and for the start of the playoffs. If he struggles we revisit the plan, but doesn't really seem like Freddie will be ready for round 1 (who really knows though).

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I think it'll be Pyotr tomorrow and for the start of the playoffs. If he struggles we revisit the plan, but doesn't really seem like Freddie will be ready for round 1 (who really knows though).

Probably, but why even play Pyotr in a meaningless game given how dire our circumstances will be if he suffers a fluke injury? I'd like to sit not only both goalies but also Slavin and as many of the other "A" skaters we can by icing everyone at the bottom of the roster.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Hey @saraciv420 - couple of things.....time to upgrade that avatar.....any insight on "glove side high" for Pyotr? I hadn't heard that about him, but did note he's given up a few in that area.

My take is his glove is less dialed in than the other parts of this game. That doesn't mean it's bad, but probably needs work or at least tuning at the NHL level. He flashed it a bit more in the game last night, though.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Probably, but why even play Pyotr in a meaningless game given how dire our circumstances will be if he suffers a fluke injury? I'd like to sit not only both goalies but also Slavin and as many of the other "A" skaters we can by icing everyone at the bottom of the roster.

I think we're out of goalies. Oh well, there is Dave and Jack I suppose.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Listening to Sammy talk, you'd never know he was Russian. The guy sounds like a good old prairie kid. Hopefully he's able to get Pyotr there soon!
Absolutely. One of the hardest thing for native Russian speakers to pick up on in English is using articles (as in the part of speech) because the Russian language doesn't have them. It might be a function of how long he's been in the US but even still, here's an interview with Evgeni Malkin from a few months ago. Malkin's been in North America for 15 years now and while he's come a long way from "I am score" you can still hear the missing articles - "I start skating with team" rather than "I start skating with the team."

Compare that with an interview Samsonov gave here - at this point he'd been playing in North America for 12 years.

"Eric kind of poked the puck through..." "He cycled at least once around the net..."

Every now and again I think I caught Samsonov dropping an article but it was *very* rare. If you want Kochetkov to pick up the nuance of English, Samsonov is a great person to partner him up with. Likewise with Svech. Svech's accent is thicker than Samsonov's of course, but in his interviews his grammar and syntax is definitely more advanced than Malkin's, I'd say.

"it wasn't easy life, it was a pretty hard life." Some inconsistency but he knows they should be there. Anyway language nerding over.

My galaxy brain take is Freddie can't lose in the first round if he simply doesn't play in the first round

I was going to post the Roll Safe meme and then got beat to it in your tweet. Still, glad to see you back around!

Side note. Back in the damn Ice was getting shit for ripping off Queen/Bowie. In an interview he said "the two melodies are completely different there's goes dun dun dun da da dun dun, and mine goes dun dun dun da da dun DUN"

Im too lazy to look it up but I am sure theres a clip floating around Youtube.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I somehow had gotten the idea that Ice Ice Baby would have been a landmark legal case about the legalities of sampling a song for hip hop purposes, and that Vanilla Ice would have been a pioneer of sorts for those purposes, but now looking it up, that doesn't seem to be correct take.

Unless it was about that an artist can't altogether just forbid a hip hop artist for using the artist's songs for sampling (and thusly stop to collaborate), after which it has only become a question of money paid.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I somehow had gotten the idea that Ice Ice Baby would have been a landmark legal case about the legalities of sampling a song for hip hop purposes, and that Vanilla Ice would have been a pioneer of sorts for those purposes, but now looking it up, that doesn't seem to be correct take.

Unless it was about that an artist can't altogether just forbid a hip hop artist for using the artist's songs for sampling (and thusly stop to collaborate), after which it has only become a question of money paid.

Listen, I think for most artists, once they get that first royalty check off of the sample work, they grab a hold of this brand new invention and embrace it wholeheartedly. David Axelrod said it best here:

One can only assume he's cooked *many* pounds of bacon with that "screw you money."

Reactions: DaveG and Lempo

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Listening to Sammy talk, you'd never know he was Russian. The guy sounds like a good old prairie kid. Hopefully he's able to get Pyotr there soon!

If I remember correctly Samsanov was already over here playing in the old IHL before he was drafted (with the Whalers pick, by the Bruins).

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Listen, I think for most artists, once they get that first royalty check off of the sample work, they grab a hold of this brand new invention and embrace it wholeheartedly. David Axelrod said it best here:

One can only assume he's cooked *many* pounds of bacon with that "screw you money."

Good that the Queen and David Bowie can now pay for their hotel room due to exposure.

I f***ing thought that the tune was original Dre though... next you tell me the one in Forgot About Dre was sampled too.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Absolutely. One of the hardest thing for native Russian speakers to pick up on in English is using articles (as in the part of speech) because the Russian language doesn't have them. It might be a function of how long he's been in the US but even still, here's an interview with Evgeni Malkin from a few months ago. Malkin's been in North America for 15 years now and while he's come a long way from "I am score" you can still hear the missing articles - "I start skating with team" rather than "I start skating with the team."

Compare that with an interview Samsonov gave here - at this point he'd been playing in North America for 12 years.

"Eric kind of poked the puck through..." "He cycled at least once around the net..."

Every now and again I think I caught Samsonov dropping an article but it was *very* rare. If you want Kochetkov to pick up the nuance of English, Samsonov is a great person to partner him up with. Likewise with Svech. Svech's accent is thicker than Samsonov's of course, but in his interviews his grammar and syntax is definitely more advanced than Malkin's, I'd say.

"it wasn't easy life, it was a pretty hard life." Some inconsistency but he knows they should be there. Anyway language nerding over.

I was going to post the Roll Safe meme and then got beat to it in your tweet. Still, glad to see you back around!

I think it is tough for a lot of guys. My Iraqi interpreter has been living here for over a decade and his English is still as bad as it was in ‘06.

A sample sentence from him would be “Donald Rum-es-feld- they be push him to quit because he make f*** with the Laura Bush.”

Reactions: Porvari

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad