Goalie saves

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Hey everyone, would you support a thread where we post vids of an awesome goalie save, or a montage of saves?

Growing up on Don Cherry's Rock em Sock ems, the goalie saves were some of my favorite segments growing up as I played net as a kid. Watching them display incredible athleticism and making amazing saves is one of the best things in hockey.

Whether they be from this seasons, or from a hundred years ago, lets party to what the goalies are giving us.

I'll start with this random one or Mario Gosselin

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Let´s look if I know how to post Youtube videos. First is one of my favourite videos. Second is never found. Feauturing Murray Bannerman, Angry Michel Dion, John Davidson...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't see a reason to have any threads that do not include goaltenders.

If we are picking "greatest" save by a goalie, this might be one many of us first think about. It is hard to pick just one, but with the save that was made, the context of the game and the result that this save was born from I think it is right up there.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I miss the days when goalies came out to cut off the angle and challenge the shooter...

Last pure Standup was Kirk McLean & he's been gone since 2001.... Still see a bit of it but ya, less & less. Hybrids like Thomas, Brodeur & they too, retired, end of even that era... but no, not so much anymore sadly. Games changed much with the constant passing, close in play. Its like the old Soviet & Czech (who were ultra Defensive, built to stop the USSR) game in some respects, a good example is if you think back to the 72 Summit, the difficulties Dryden had in dealing with that & finally having to adjust in playing it deeper in his crease. Goalies have to react & adjust to how the games being played in front of them as you know, and its just changed so much that unfortunately no, were not likely to see that return barring a fundamental sea change, a turning back of the clock as to how the game is taught, coached & played.

Reactions: SealsFan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This old stand-up goalie cringes every time I see these modern goalies do a butterfly split. My legs weren't built for that kind of motion...

... yes indeed, a completely unnatural posture & positioning, forcing the body to react in ways for which it was not designed & that absolutely does result in serious knee & back injuries... shortening careers & causing life-long health problems. Its just beyond disappointing to see whats evolved with the playing of the position, that was once just a save selection, a tool in the box & not to be misused due to the abuse you'd have to put yourself through to pull it off has now become situation normal, full time. Completely anathema to what was once of vital importance, that you dont go down early, that you control your rebounds... just crazy whats happened here. Size the only thing that matters. You arent a goalie, your a sheet of plywood with cutouts. Serious Peeve. Hybrid, thats fine, but enough already with this insanity.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
... yes indeed, a completely unnatural posture & positioning, forcing the body to react in ways for which it was not designed & that absolutely does result in serious knee & back injuries... shortening careers & causing life-long health problems. Its just beyond disappointing to see whats evolved with the playing of the position, that was once just a save selection, a tool in the box & not to be misused due to the abuse you'd have to put yourself through to pull it off has now become situation normal, full time. Completely anathema to what was once of vital importance, that you dont go down early, that you control your rebounds... just crazy whats happened here. Size the only thing that matters. You arent a goalie, your a sheet of plywood with cutouts. Serious Peeve. Hybrid, thats fine, but enough already with this insanity.

I read (probably here) that the newer pads make it easier - something about how the pad rotates independently from the knee, but I still haven't made the jump. Full marks to the scientists and goaltenders further up the evolutionary chain than me, but I don't butterfly anymore unless I'm having a bad night and need to stop the flood.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I read (probably here) that the newer pads make it easier - something about how the pad rotates independently from the knee, but I still haven't made the jump. Full marks to the scientists and goaltenders further up the evolutionary chain than me, but I don't butterfly anymore unless I'm having a bad night and need to stop the flood.

Ya, I can certainly understand & appreciate why you'd refrain from playing the position in that alien fashion having been brought up & taught how to play goal at anytime up until at least the late 80's if not into the early 90's. To then as an adult playing rec hockey years later... to be forcing ones now fully formed muscles & bones into the inverted V, playing it on your knees....

... might just as well stop off at the medical supply shop and buy yourself a wheelchair & motorized scooter to go with your brand spankin new Brians Optik Pro's that you dropped two grand on... insuring yourself of a life of physical, emotional & financial misery... barely able to get out of bed.... cant work... painkillers washed down with booze... wife leaves.... is that really what you want qpq, is it worth it?... Ha?... talk to me Son...

Some people are actually built differently, gymnasts who can contort their bodies & train to do so from very young ages but just, no; it wasnt my stick, only used the BF in certain situations.... no question effective... but F/T?.... No chance, not happenin.... and tell ya what... anyone ever wants to know what a Harp Seal feels like, how they move along the ice, experience.... before being clubbed to death up there in the Gulf of the St Lawrence.... give it a try. Fun, Wow. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: quoipourquoi

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I still get abused on breakaway shots between the legs, but I started trying to lure shooters coming in on my left by over-committing to their side - then as soon as they cut across to an open blocker side, I'm already crouching down and rolling backwards to sweep the crease with the back of my glove. It's Hasek on Weight, but in slow motion. Gets a pop from the bench, keeps pucks away from the 5-hole, and it's easy on the knees. Used to bang my elbow on the Ferris Wheel motion, but now it's more of a smooth 45 degree slide from the net out towards the crease. Just need an oxygen tank and a helping hand to get back up.

Problem is, ever since that Datsyuk goal, everyone drops speed and pulls the puck back, so they end up with 3.5 feet of open net to work with while I'm tumbling on the ground like a pre-schooler.

I need a new trap.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->