Speculation: Goalie casualties with both cap and expansion draft?

sal00

Jul 5, 2011
Which goalie would likely be the biggest loser in the upcoming off-season with the flat cap and the looming of roster protection slots for the Seattle draft?

Vancouver - Markstrom and Demko
Washington - Holtby and Samsonov
Columbus - Korpisalo and Merzlikins
Vegas - Lehner and Fleury
Pittsburgh - Murray and Jarry
St Louis - Binnington and Allen
Dallas- Bishop and Khudobin

Notable Goalies with NMC (Lundqvist till 2021, Rinne till 2021)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
no if contract only runs thru '20-21, it has ended and player is UFA, not needing Seattle protection
see Lundqvist, Henrik

You sure about that?
If a team wants to re-sign their own UFA, they must protect them.

SEA can select 10/30 contracts that are UFA, the other 20 must be players under contract into 2022

Or are you saying NYR won't protect Hank because they won't re-sign him?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You sure about that?

SEA can select 10/30 contracts that are UFA, the other 20 must be players under contract into 2022

Are you saying NYR won't protect Hank because they won't re-sign him?

You're right. Seattle can select pending UFAs. It's the ones with NMCs that are pending UFAs...they don't automatically take up a protected spot.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Which goalie would likely be the biggest loser in the upcoming off-season with the flat cap and the looming of roster protection slots for the Seattle draft?

I suppose my question is what do you consider a "loser"? In purely financial terms, or a loss of playing time, or a trade to an inferior team?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Hitby a UFA this summer
Lehner a UFA this summer
Msrkdtrom a UFA this summer
Merz is ED exempt coming for Europe

Pittsburgh has 2RFA goalies
St Louis ..Allen is a UFA in 2021
Kuhfobin is a UFA in 2021 iirc.

If Vancouver keeps Markstrum thrn Demko might be traded.

Remember teams can only protect one goalie so all teams will likely have 1-2 nhl ready prospects exposed.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You sure about that?

Or are you saying NYR won't protect Hank because they won't re-sign him?

Seattle would be signing UFAs before the ED then those would be their team selection only after an extension is done so they aren’t drafting UFAs.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Seattle would be signing UFAs before the ED then those would be their team selection only after an extension is done so they aren’t drafting UFAs.

I agree, that's not what my argument was though.
SEA will have a 72 hour window to negotiate with UFA's (just like VGK did) who are not being protected by each team's list sent to them in advance of that 3 day window.
You are right though, a UFA selection by SEA counts as their one selection from that said team.

I was saying if a team wants to re-sign their own UFA (say CAR wanting to protect Hamilton as example, who isn't re-signed before draft), they must protect him so SEA can't negotiate with him and thus sign/choose him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I agree, that's not what my argument was though.
SEA will have a 72 hour window to negotiate with UFA's (just like VGK did) who are not being protected by each team's list sent to them in advance of that 3 day window.
You are right though, a UFA selection by SEA counts as their one selection from that said team.

I was saying if a team wants to re-sign their own UFA (say CAR wanting to protect Hamilton as example, who isn't re-signed before draft), they must protect him so SEA can't negotiate with him and thus sign/choose him.

Yes seattle is free to talk unless protected. Some are strategize around that. The expose a UFA and May have an agreement in place only to wait until after the draft and hope seattle doesn’t sign him.

I don’t think vegas signed any UFA to be.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If Demko is as worthless as all these fans of other teams wanting to acquire him say he is, the we can expose him and Seattle will take anyone else instead.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Guess its how you define "loser".
Demko could be moved to a Detroit or Ottawa and become their 1. I wouldn't say that is a loser.
Holtby post covid maybe biggest loser in that he might have to take a pay cut over say the expected 5-6 years @ 7m per he might get without raising cap numbers.
Columbus stay pat do not trade a G until after ED.
Easy to say Fluery traded who picks up that deal? It has to be weak deal for weak deal.
Murray will get traded. Feel free to speculate if pens traded 1 for kapanen maybe they are getting a 1 back for Murray. TBD.
Allen is a 2 and should enjoy 4m paycheck. 4m for 30 games a year is a winner.
Khudobin might be earning a raise in playoffs. Maybe grows from 2 to 1a goalie. TBD

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yes seattle is free to talk unless protected. Some are strategize around that. The expose a UFA and May have an agreement in place only to wait until after the draft and hope seattle doesn’t sign him.

I don’t think vegas signed any UFA to be.

Think the only notable UFA they did sign was Engelland iirc? I'm sure there were one or two other but they maybe traded their rights or outright didn't reach agreements with the player. There were other UFAs available to choose but they didn't negotiate with them, probably out of fear of not being able to sign them in such a short window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad