GM Ron Hextall

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Change has to happen and not just the bottom lines and Mac and manning. White should have been kept before Weise just on dollars alone.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Most cup winners this decade have followed a similar pattern in terms of forward group:

I have highlighted:

Green=We have this
Yellow=We might have this
Red=We do not have this

1x ~70+ point center (We have Giroux)
1x ~70+ point winger (We have Voracek)
1x ~60 point winger (We have Simmonds)
1x ~45-50 point center (If Couturier can play like last year... we have this)
1x ~50 point winger (We have Schenn)
1x ~45 point winger (Konecny is looking like this)
1x ~40 point winger (We do not have this right now)
1x ~30 point, defensively sound center (We do not have this right now)
1x ~30 point winger (We have Raffl & Read)
1x ~20 point, defensively sound center (We do not have this right now)
1x ~20 point winger (If Weise can be Montreal Weise, yeh, but he is not atm)
1x ~15 point winger

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Heck, on the Duchene matter from the other thread... yeah, if we could get a 60+ point center and slide Couturier to 3C we would have the best top 9 in the NHL. But it seems unrealistic without gutting other areas of the team

The only realistic way to do that is get a top lottery pick and get a guy like Matthews or Eichel.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Thanks for that though. If Couts can have a strong year next year, plus Lindbolm or someone also picking up some weight -- team will be in a stronger place with the defensive side of things improving as well. Then if Mase can have a strong year...

That yellow font just Ark of the Covenanted me.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's funny the people who squawk about ES scoring, then also complain about Couts.

Last year had 31 points in 63 games at ES.
Palat had 30 points in 62 games at ES.
Malkin had 31 points in 57 games at ES.

It is the PP where Couts does not get his points. He was T121 in ES points last year for forwards. So being #135 would be an average 2nd line forward as ES. So he was above average...and still missed 19 games.

And this year, he was playing very good despite not getting points. Couts was able to be the defensive guy while TK and Voracek focused on offense. Couts could cover their mistakes while also helping to drive possession himself.

People forget how TK slumped as soon as Couts went out of the lineup.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's funny the people who squawk about ES scoring, then also complain about Couts.

It is the PP where Couts does not get his points. He was T121 in ES points last year for forwards. So being #135 would be an average 2nd line forward as ES. So he was above average...and still missed 19 games.

And this year, he was playing very good despite not getting points. Couts was able to be the defensive guy while TK and Voracek focused on offense. Couts could cover their mistakes while also helping to drive possession himself.

Some people willfully miss a lot of things when it comes to Couts. They have their mind made up that he's not good enough.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The only realistic way to do that is get a top lottery pick and get a guy like Matthews or Eichel.

Exactly... or luck out with a Giroux, Bergeron or Krecji in the late 1st or later.

Since they are the only true 1C level guys who have gone outside the top 15 over the last 15 years!

Just look at guys who were legit 1C's for a time since the 2003 draft and where they were taken:

1-5 overall: Staal, Malkin, Crosby, Backstrom, Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin, McDavid, Matthews.
6-10 overall: Couture.
11-15 overall: Carter, Kopitar.
16-20 overall: Getzlaf.
21-30 overall: Richards, Giroux.
2nd round: Bergeron, Krejci.

And the guys who were/are lower end 1C's (though some of these could be in that top category in future):

1-5 overall: Turris, Duchene, Johansen, Barkov, Draisaitl, Galchenyuk, Eichel, MacKinnon.
6-10 overall: Scheifele, Monahan.
11-15 overall: Little, Wennberg.
16-20 overall:
21-30 overall: Kuznetsov.
2nd round: Stastny, Stepan, O'Reilly.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think Scheifele may deserve the upper tier, dude has been killing it lately. He'll probably score 70-80 this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Some people willfully miss a lot of things when it comes to Couts. They have their mind made up that he's not good enough.

Is there a vocal group of Ducks fans who endlessly complain about Silfverberg never cracking 40 points and ignore that lack of PP opportunity is a big part of that?

Now in his 26 year old season, he's on pace for 50 points. Like Couturier was in his 23 year old season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Change has to happen and not just the bottom lines and Mac and manning. White should have been kept before Weise just on dollars alone.

White was an actual negative night-to-night. Weise isn't, so he at least has that going. More offense was definitely expected though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Leier is a better option than White. White was the worst Flyers PKer I've seen get regular minutes

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

I think you need to always be skeptical of stats that don't really meet the eye test, like Couts and Malkin scoring the same at even strength. Im not exactly sure what the explanation would be but I think 100% of GM's and coaches would take Malkin at even strength. Maybe its because Couts generally plays against the other teams top scorers, many of whom are poor defensively and Malkin generally plays against tough defenders. I like Couts and I wouldn't trade him and i think with the right wingers he would be fine but I think we still need a more dynamic center that can support scoring more than Couts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Is Giroux "dynamic" outside of the PP? Because it's a two and a half year stretch now where Couturier has produced better than him at 5 on 5.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Is Giroux "dynamic" outside of the PP? Because it's a two and a half year stretch now where Couturier has produced better than him at 5 on 5.

Giroux clearly gets targeted more by the oppositions best D pairing. But you can also argue that "Dynamic" players are able to score against even the best defenders. :sarcasm:

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Giroux clearly gets targeted more by the oppositions best D pairing. But you can also argue that "Dynamic" players are able to score against even the best defenders. :sarcasm:

I like how your emoji matches your profile avatar, which is also Baby Metal. But yeah, "Dynamic" players certainly can't be dynamic in different ways and obviously raw point totals is the only way to measure the success of an organization.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Well we got the top lottery pick. :handclap:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...gacy-begins-now-morins-nickname-is-not-motrin

Contrary to the belief of at least one professional sports writer in this city, Sam “Motrin†Morin was taken in 2013, fifteen days before Hextall left the Los Angeles Kings for the Philadelphia Flyers.

Screen_Shot_2017_06_07_at_10.30.14_PM.png

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Is there a transcript or possibly a summation for those who can't listen?

It was mostly standard GM speak on topics like Morin, Hagg, Lindblom, the Metro, making the playoffs, etc.
  • Laughton seemed to have expectations of being a PP guy and to move up the lineup before. Now he understands his role better.
  • Giroux is enjoying being on the wing. He looked better from day 1 of camp this year. He thought the World Cup would hurt him last year but didn't want to tell one of his top players to pass up an opportunity that might not come up again.
  • Somewhere in the range of 55 games for a #1 Goalie.
  • When asked about the World Cup, he went out of his way to mention Jon Cooper, Gerard Gallant, Dave King, and Ryan O'Reilly. I'm sure I forgot some additional names, but no players.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
It was mostly standard GM speak on topics like Morin, Hagg, Lindblom, the Metro, making the playoffs, etc.
  • Laughton seemed to have expectations of being a PP guy and to move up the lineup before. Now he understands his role better.
  • Giroux is enjoying being on the wing. He looked better from day 1 of camp this year. He thought the World Cup would hurt him last year but didn't want to tell one of his top players to pass up an opportunity that might not come up again.
  • Somewhere in the range of 55 games for a #1 Goalie.
  • When asked about the World Cup, he went out of his way to mention Jon Cooper, Gerard Gallant, Dave King, and Ryan O'Reilly. I'm sure I forgot some additional names, but no players.

You're the best.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Also reinforced the notion that nothing happens including who is on what line and who is in the press box without his knowledge and approval. Did talk about Knob a bit saying how sharp he was and how it was good to have another "voice". With all these guys interviews they try not to give anything away so it helps to see their facial expressions and how they say things to help read between the lines. He for example seemed irritated about 2-2 after four games and didn't sound like he was thinking that this was a transitional year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Also reinforced the notion that nothing happens including who is on what line and who is in the press box without his knowledge and approval. Did talk about Knob a bit saying how sharp he was and how it was good to have another "voice". With all these guys interviews they try not to give anything away so it helps to see their facial expressions and how they say things to help read between the lines. He for example seemed irritated about 2-2 after four games and didn't sound like he was thinking that this was a transitional year.

Really disheartening.

Reactions: Foggy14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->