GM Rob Blake 2017-18 Report Card

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
All I know is the cupboard went from completely bare to now being half-full in one season. Considering our cap position, the fact that we lost no decent core player to do that and we only had a normal number of picks, that's pretty good (so far). And as I mentioned already, the Gaborik for Phaneuf thing.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Too early or not, Dean was tanking the team badly and was very oblivious on to what he needed to do/change.

Blake/Luc have steered the ship in the right direction big time in a single season.

Our team went from bleak to hopeful really quickly.

While it is too early to tell the payoffs, the fact that they've been very active on improving the team and the farm in all possible aspects is already a big upgrade from Dean's final stint.

Imagine where we'd be if Lucic took that disgusting contract we offered him? Dodged a bullet. Lucic trade. I mean...we're looking good

Reactions: Rorschach

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Um, how was this season, hopeful?

The season Blake turned over wasn't hopeful. I was implying the last moments of Lombardi I had zero hope our team could recover under him, and now with all that Blake has done its given me hope.

Getting Iafallo, Brickley, Rempal, and Petersen was all good. Now with Vilardi coming up.

The team has a brighter future since Lombardi has left. Hence the hope. I think we will again perform much better this new season than the one that just ended.

Blake has shown something Lombardi hadnt, resourcefulness.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The season Blake turned over wasn't hopeful. I was implying the last moments of Lombardi I had zero hope our team could recover under him, and now with all that Blake has done its given me hope.

Getting Iafallo, Brickley, Rempal, and Petersen was all good. Now with Vilardi coming up.

The team has a brighter future since Lombardi has left. Hence the hope. I think we will again perform much better this new season than the one that just ended.

Blake has shown something Lombardi hadnt, resourcefulness.

I hope you aren't really saying Lombardi wasn't resourceful in his first five or six years with the Kings.

Instead of screwing up our best prospects Lombardi busted his butt acquiring "bridge players" and "fillers". Bridge players were guys with character like Handzus who were signed to longer term deals, because Dean wanted the youngsters to watch and learn from them. Fillers were guys like Brad Stuart who were signed to shorter deals, because Dean knew they would be valuable commodities at the trade deadline for use in stockpiling prospects and picks.

In case we have forgotten, Lombardi signed some very useful undrafted UFAs or players who weren't signed be the club who originally drafted them. Examples here are Martin Jones and Jake Muzzin.

Compared to what we were used to seeing before Lombardi's arrival, I call that pretty damn resourceful. These kids signing UFA deals now with the Kings, why are they choosing this organization? Mostly, just as it was with Lombardi, they know Blake's cupboard is bare and they will get a chance to play in the NHL sooner rather than later.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I hope you aren't really saying Lombardi wasn't resourceful in his first five or six years with the Kings.

Instead of screwing up our best prospects Lombardi busted his butt acquiring "bridge players" and "fillers". Bridge players were guys with character like Handzus who were signed to longer term deals, because Dean wanted the youngsters to watch and learn from them. Fillers were guys like Brad Stuart who were signed to shorter deals, because Dean knew they would be valuable commodities at the trade deadline for use in stockpiling prospects and picks.

In case we have forgotten, Lombardi signed some very useful undrafted UFAs or players who weren't signed be the club who originally drafted them. Examples here are Martin Jones and Jake Muzzin.

Compared to what we were used to seeing before Lombardi's arrival, I call that pretty damn resourceful. These kids signing UFA deals now with the Kings, why are they choosing this organization? Mostly, just as it was with Lombardi, they know Blake's cupboard is bare and they will get a chance to play in the NHL sooner rather than later.

My post was in regards to the ending of Lombardis tenure to the transition to Blake.

There is nothing bad to say about how Lombardi built this team.

Not necessarily true either, Lombardi wouldn't dip into certain teams, leagues, and player types. Nor would he ever be pitching in offers to said college/euros. It's one thing to not get accepted, it's another that scouts would say the Kings never made a call.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Lombardi was also signing good deals for damaged "as is" merchandise, letting them burn a season healing up, then getting beautiful butterflies for seasons 2 + (i.e. Williams, Mitchell). It didn't always work out (see Marco Sturm) but it was another low-key way he built the team.

Anyways, I thought Blake did well, but the real test is coming up in this off-season just like everyone else is saying.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Um, how was this season, hopeful?

Well we made the playoffs, for starters. We didn’t show anything in the playoffs, but there are a few reasons for that, not the least of which being our players just didn’t perform well enough. I don’t think that’s really on Blake.

People are upset at Stevens being the head coach, but look at the beginning of the season. Every quote was about how much fun the guys were havig playing hockey. I refuse to believe that at the very least, the team leaders weren’t consulted about Stevens.

But what’s more, every move the Kings made was a positive except maybe the Cammalleri signing and his subsequent trade. On that front, I’m inclined to believe that Cammy wasn’t happy that Iafallo took “his” spot. Jokinen didn’t pan out, but that wasn’t a big loss.

We added Reider, Folin, Fantenberg, Brickley, Peterson, and Iafallo for free. We traded Gaborik and Shore for Phaneuf and Thompson. Asset management was top notch this year. Boston traded a first plus for Rick Nash! Would that have helped us beat Vegas? What other moves were made this year that Blake should have jumped on instead?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not necessarily true either, Lombardi wouldn't dip into certain teams, leagues, and player types. Nor would he ever be pitching in offers to said college/euros. It's one thing to not get accepted, it's another that scouts would say the Kings never made a call.
This is nonsense.

Jun 30, 2006
Well we made the playoffs, for starters. We didn’t show anything in the playoffs, but there are a few reasons for that, not the least of which being our players just didn’t perform well enough. I don’t think that’s really on Blake.

People are upset at Stevens being the head coach, but look at the beginning of the season. Every quote was about how much fun the guys were havig playing hockey. I refuse to believe that at the very least, the team leaders weren’t consulted about Stevens.

But what’s more, every move the Kings made was a positive except maybe the Cammalleri signing and his subsequent trade. On that front, I’m inclined to believe that Cammy wasn’t happy that Iafallo took “his” spot. Jokinen didn’t pan out, but that wasn’t a big loss.

We added Reider, Folin, Fantenberg, Brickley, Peterson, and Iafallo for free. We traded Gaborik and Shore for Phaneuf and Thompson. Asset management was top notch this year. Boston traded a first plus for Rick Nash! Would that have helped us beat Vegas? What other moves were made this year that Blake should have jumped on instead?

Kind of a rosy introspective look at the season. Before the season began we had Luc and Blake telling us, the fans, that the goal is to contend for the cup and that this team can win more cups. Now it’s, “we made the playoffs even though we got swept!”

Bottom line is, this core can’t win without real leadership. They can have fun all they want, but it should not come at the expense of winning. I don’t know if the offseason workouts/program are as closely watched as they were under DL. This team looked gassed against Las Vegas and out of it.

We can’t afford the Stoll’s, Richards, Mitchell’s, Greene, Williams anymore. The core got their massive contracts and it’s their turn to do the heavy lifting, they just don’t want to or they can’t.

One playoff win in 4 seasons, and we just got swept. Players/Organization and some fans are in denial about the state of the organization.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
One playoff win in 4 seasons, and we just got swept. Players/Organization and some fans are in denial about the state of the organization.

Dry, not picking on you, but you are just the latest to say it,

Why in the world is it, one playoff win in 4 seasons? Why is the arbitrary limit, 4 seasons? Why not, 7 seasons, 8, seasons, 10 seasons, 3 seasons?

Let's look at Boston

7 wins in 4 seasons..... yet everyone is touting them,

Washington 20 wins in 4 seasons, yet NO ONE wants to be like them

Columbus, 3 wins in 4 seasons,

etc,

It seems so arbitrary so pessimistic fans can make their point, but unless you have SIXTEEN wins in ONE season, everything else is losing....

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kind of a rosy introspective look at the season. Before the season began we had Luc and Blake telling us, the fans, that the goal is to contend for the cup and that this team can win more cups. Now it’s, “we made the playoffs even though we got swept!”

Bottom line is, this core can’t win without real leadership. They can have fun all they want, but it should not come at the expense of winning. I don’t know if the offseason workouts/program are as closely watched as they were under DL. This team looked gassed against Las Vegas and out of it.

We can’t afford the Stoll’s, Richards, Mitchell’s, Greene, Williams anymore. The core got their massive contracts and it’s their turn to do the heavy lifting, they just don’t want to or they can’t.

I notice that you didn't/couldn't answer either of kilowatt's questions though, both of which are more pertinent to and productive for this thread than pulling the 'fans are in denial' card.

Reactions: kilowatt
Jun 30, 2006
Dry, not picking on you, but you are just the latest to say it,

Why in the world is it, one playoff win in 4 seasons? Why is the arbitrary limit, 4 seasons? Why not, 7 seasons, 8, seasons, 10 seasons, 3 seasons?

Let's look at Boston

7 wins in 4 seasons..... yet everyone is touting them,

Washington 20 wins in 4 seasons, yet NO ONE wants to be like them

Columbus, 3 wins in 4 seasons,

etc,

It seems so arbitrary so pessimistic fans can make their point, but unless you have SIXTEEN wins in ONE season, everything else is losing....

If you read my post, I started off with Luc and Blake saying we should be competing for cups. Then closed with the reality that this team really isn’t anywhere close to competing for cup with one playoff win since the last cup run. After a sweep, we still have players saying we can win a cup.

It’s now a fringe playoff team that is very top heavy in addition to players not living up to their contracts. Getting some college UFA’s isn’t going to fix it. There has to be some accountability here for the core players, there just isn’t any from management and AEG. It’s back to the country club days where players are here to surf, post about cupcakes, talk about their dogs etc.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If you read my post, I started off with Luc and Blake saying we should be competing for cups. Then closed with the reality that this team really isn’t anywhere close to competing for cup with one playoff win since the last cup run. After a sweep, we still have players saying we can win a cup.

It’s now a fringe playoff team that is very top heavy in addition to players not living up to their contracts. Getting some college UFA’s isn’t going to fix it. There has to be some accountability here for the core players, there just isn’t any from management and AEG. It’s back to the country club days where players are here to surf, post about cupcakes, talk about their dogs etc.

Again, wasn't targeting you, I just want to know why the go to comment is always,

1 playoff win in 4 seasons, why is it four seasons?

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
He has done a good job thus far.
98 points on the year with no Carter, was a very good season.

Blake actually got a good functioning asset for Gabby who is done as a hockey player.
He did not sign Toffoli or Pearson to crazy deals, seem to recall some thought it would be wise to lock up Toffoli long term, glad Blake chose another path.

Good draft, some luck that what is probably a top 5 player falling to him.
Iafallo signing was great, kid has a great set of hands, needs to work on finishing, but huge upside
Beat out a number of teams for Brickley.

Will be interesting how he manages the Doughty situation there will be people who will gripe no matter how it turns out. Trade him or sign a long term deal. Hoping around a 11 million per..

With all the great moves early in the decade by the Kings organization, the years post 2014 had some really really bad ones, and literally dotted the ship with holes
Gonna take some college player signings, good drafts, and continuing to look for guys in Europe to fix them.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I would say that the easiest changes are coaching changes. The most difficult changes are team personnel changes. The last four years' post-season results are definitely bad and we could even say they are unacceptable based on player salaries, past accomplishments and overall team spending.

But that situation seems fixable to me. We're not Montreal or Edmonton.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree that college UFAs aren't the fix, but my god, Kopitar is Hart and Selke finalist, Doughty a Norris finalist, and Quick had a hell of a year as well. Blaming those guys isn't the issue, save that for next year when there's no way they perform back to that standard, and again, going back to those avoided questions, what can/should Rob Blake do about it?

You entered this thread just to rail against people who were posting positive things and frankly your criticisms have been all over the map, we're just trying to sort it out in the context of Rob Blake's role.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Blake did fine.

Best "real" GM move was the Gaborik trade which looks very good at the moment. Could be singing a different tune as soon as next season but hopefully Dion can keep up his level of play.

Credit him for closing on the UDFA signings. More credit on Rempal/Brickley than Iafallo/Petersen as the latter were already underway with Lombardi but he still gets credit for closing it. Always good to get "free" prospects. While the success in signing these guys is owed a lot to the lack of depth on the team, Blake has proven to be a closer on this stuff so kudos.

People don't blame Dean for the Bernier/Lewis draft as that was "Al Murray's" draft. Well, this wasn't Blake's draft as much as it was the same scouting staff etc...in place with Lombardi. Dean takes Vilardi at that spot. No brainer for this team to take Vilardi there.

As it has been said most of the season, Blake is going to start earning real praise/criticism starting with the upcoming draft and off-season. This draft is all his now, he's got Doughty to deal with and he needs to improve the on-ice product and not by just promoting prospects. Blake has done very little in the way of tangible results. It is awesome that the prospect pool looks much better but, still, nothing there is proven yet as having any actual impact on W/Ls.

As for giving him credit for the season the Kings just had, that is a Sutter thing and holdovers playing better because they were happy. Blake did not make the team better, save for the Iafallo signing and Gaborik trade. They were carried by the usual suspects that were inherited.

I hope I can give him an "A" after this off-season and then the 2019 season but I'm still really holding to an "incomplete" until we see his first, full-ownership off-season.

EDIT-

Just read the new article on LAKI. Really just hammers the point home that the players were done with Sutter. They basically say they were better this year because he was gone and Stevens was in. Kind of funny that the players attribute the biggest reason for the team's "success" being the major issue people on here have with Blake: hiring Stevens.

Last edited:

kenito7

May 27, 2014
California
Again, wasn't targeting you, I just want to know why the go to comment is always,

1 playoff win in 4 seasons, why is it four seasons?
It is I think quite clear, it has been 4 years since the Kings were successful. There is a big difference between 2012 thru 2014 and what has happened since. No one has forgotten the good years but it is a fair discussion to talk about what does it take to get back to where the Kings were in 2012 to 2014.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It is I think quite clear, it has been 4 years since the Kings were successful. There is a big difference between 2012 thru 2014 and what has happened since. No one has forgotten the good years but it is a fair discussion to talk about what does it take to get back to where the Kings were in 2012 to 2014.

Fair enough, I kind of thought that was it, it's more of a what have you done lately for me outlook, which is absolutely relevant in sports, but I find it funny, because if next year Chicago misses the playoffs again, and there is no reason to think they won't, they can say 3 wins in 4 seasons, and be in the same boat, but people seem to think that's a model organization vs what we are doing here, and by people, I mean Kings fans

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Fair enough, I kind of thought that was it, it's more of a what have you done lately for me outlook, which is absolutely relevant in sports, but I find it funny, because if next year Chicago misses the playoffs again, and there is no reason to think they won't, they can say 3 wins in 4 seasons, and be in the same boat, but people seem to think that's a model organization vs what we are doing here, and by people, I mean Kings fans

I think most of us look at them as following the same path as the Kings but they just had the luxury of getting their superstars earlier and at the same time on lower cap hits.

They've now spent all the money on Kane/Toews, have key veterans under performing and their GM has made very questionable moves while they have a great coach who has more than likely been tuned out.

They had their 2016 Kings in 2017. They had their 2017 Kings season this year. Difference is the 2018 Kings ditched their coach and the veterans responded while Chicago is bringing back the band next season.

I don't think anyone is over here calling them a model franchise anymore.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think most of us look at them as following the same path as the Kings but they just had the luxury of getting their superstars earlier and at the same time on lower cap hits.

They've now spent all the money on Kane/Toews, have key veterans under performing and their GM has made very questionable moves while they have a great coach who has more than likely been tuned out.

They had their 2016 Kings in 2017. They had their 2017 Kings season this year. Difference is the 2018 Kings ditched their coach and the veterans responded while Chicago is bringing back the band next season.

I don't think anyone is over here calling them a model franchise anymore.

They guessed wrong in Saad over Panarin, they won't recover from that easily.

Here's the deal, like it or not, 31 teams now, all but one of them will be failures this year, now there are some that you can say are a piece or two away, some are three-four, some are 5-6, and some are 23 away, it's still failure if you lose.

Sports is cyclical, I don't know if you will ever see a Detroit streak again, 23 years making the playoffs etc, imagine Pittsburgh when Crosby/Malkin slow down retire, etc, they will be going through it as well.

Most of the negativity here is mind blowing to be honest, but again, this is a message board where a 1st round pick has much much more value than a proven commodity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad