Speculation: GM rankings

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A goaltender makes a coach look good.

Scouts make a gm and an organization look good.

Find the best scouts and the best gms are probably close by.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Holland , Yzerman , Poile , Armstrong , Bowman , Lamoriello , Rutherford , B. Murray , How ever you want to rank them ? Then everyone else

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not sure where I'd rank other GM's but I'd have MB in the bottom 5 right now. His body of work for the most part the past couple of seasons hasn't been very good IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How would you rank current NHL GMs?

Interested to hear your takes
You want to hear we have the worst GM in the league.

Marc Bergevin is the worst GM in the league

Amongst 31 GM's...he's last. Now maybe we can mesh this thread into the 20 other threads on this board dedicated to reminding folks that he's the worst

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
A goaltender makes a coach look good.

Scouts make a gm and an organization look good.

Find the best scouts and the best gms are probably close by.

A lot of truth in this statement.

A really dumb GM can really mess up a good scouts work though (I'm not saying Timmins is a really good scout, I think he was at one time, but that's a whole other topic.)

As far as rankings are concerned, every year there's a new hero crowned but it's hard to argue with what Yzerman has done in TB, Lamourello has gone a great job since joining the Leafs(myself and many others thought he was losing it in NJ...) Poile has put together a great team in NSH..

Good/Great GM:

Yzerman
Lamorello
Poile
Armstrong
Dorion
Rutherford
Kekalainen

To me there's a lot of average stuff in there, then you have your terrible GMs, which MB quite easily falls into.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
-Everyone Else
-
-
-
-
- Assistant GMs
-
-
-
-Bergevin
Fixed it for you. :thumbu:
You god damn Bergevin lovers.

Every GM in the NHL
-
-
-
-
Every ass GM in the NHL
-
-
-
Every GM in the AHL
-
-
-
every ass GM in the AHL
-
-
-
-
every fire hydrant in Montreal
every door knob on my block
-
-
-
Bergevin

Actually, I'm just fooling around. He ain't that bad if brains and smarts don't count.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

A really dumb GM can really mess up a good scouts work though (I'm not saying Timmins is a really good scout, I think he was at one time, but that's a whole other topic.)

As far as rankings are concerned, every year there's a new hero crowned but it's hard to argue with what Yzerman has done in TB, Lamourello has gone a great job since joining the Leafs(myself and many others thought he was losing it in NJ...) Poile has put together a great team in NSH..

Good/Great GM:

Yzerman
Lamorello
Poile
Armstrong
Dorion
Rutherford
Kekalainen

To me there's a lot of average stuff in there, then you have your terrible GMs, which MB quite easily falls into.
You might want to add Shero to that list.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Good/Great GM:

Yzerman
Lamorello
Poile
Armstrong
Dorion
Rutherford
Kekalainen

Amazing to see the credit this guy gets for the trades he's done.

I am partial to Kekalainen though...now that's a strong GM.

Same with Yzerman

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
You might want to add Shero to that list.

He could make the cut, I'm not a fan of how he handled Pitts for so many years so he has a lot of redeeming left to do.. but so far he seems to be redirecting NJ back to respectability. To me there's guys that float in and out on a yearly basis based on how their summers go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->