GDT: GM#72 LA Kings vs New Jersey Devils @1:00pm

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
New Jersey Devils(36-26-8, 80pts, 5th in Metro) :thumbd:@ Los Angeles Kings(39-26-6, 84 pts, 3rd in Pacific):thumbu:
Staples Center| Los Angeles, CA
TIME: 1:00 pm PT | TV: FSW | RADIO: 790 KABC

QUICK STATS
Previous meeting: NJD 5-1

:kings:devils
PP/PK18th/3rd14th/8th
Faceoffs19th30th
Leading ScorersAnze Kopitar: 29 goals, 51 assists, 80 pointsTaylor Hall: 31 goals, 45 assists, 76 points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lines*
:kings
GEbLJC9.png

kPIvAt6.png

Skrmy5l.png

Injuries: None!

:devils
pwJDfeR.png

aR5INpB.png

Llzr3pJ.png

Injuries: Pavel Zacha, Marcus Johansson

*Lines Subject to Change

News/Notes:
  • The LA Kings defeated the Detroit Red Wings 4-1 Thursday night.​
  • Anze Kopitar's 4 point night moves hi up 8th overall in total points this year. 1 point shy off his career high and will eclipse his point total from last year with his assists alone. An incredible year from the captain.​
  • Taylor Hall recently had his 26 game point streak cut short, but he will still likely beat his career high set in 2013-14. He has 129 points in 137 games since being traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the Devils.​
  • The first overall pick from the 2017 entry, Nico Hischier, is currently 5th in rookie scoring this year with 15 goals and 30 assists. While he may not win the Calder trophy, he has been excellent for the Devils.​
  • It is unknown who will start today for either team, but I'm willing to bet it'll be Schneider vs Quick today.​

Reactions: KingTrouty

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Keith Kinkaid will go tonight. Currently 18-9-0 this season with 28 starts, 2.95 GAA and .906 save% and won 4 of his last 5 starts

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Question.

I don't know how far the players live from Staples Center or what the drive is like on a Saturday morning, but would it be advantageous for the players to stay at a hotel near Staples on Friday night instead?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Question.

I don't know how far the players live from Staples Center or what the drive is like on a Saturday morning, but would it be advantageous for the players to stay at a hotel near Staples on Friday night instead?

Most of the players (I believe) live in Manhattan Beach which is about a 45-50 drive to Staples with traffic. Personally I don't see the harm in staying in a hotel considering their ****ty 1pm starts, but I don't think its because of the early morning commute.

Reactions: BallPointHammer
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Question.

No and the team wouldn't want to pay for it and the players union would have a fit. Yes, these guys are athletes and the Kings are just dreadful to start games, it's a bad joke at this point but they are also human beings who own homes and have families. Telling them to stay away from their home and family would make the morale worse. The issue for me is the coach needs to find a way to motivate the guys, maybe the practices are too easy? Maybe they are too hard and the players are worn down? Is the training staff telling the players the right information on how to be ready for early starts, pre workout supplements, nutrition, weight lifting, stretching-maybe it's time for a new training staff? The bottom line is these guys are almost never ready to play hockey and when it happens repeatedly and maybe costs the team a playoff spot heads need to roll.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Thanks for those answers. A lot of factors to consider.

It just struck me though (duh!) does anyone know if the Ducks, Sharks or Canucks have the same issues? There has to be an answer and I put the onus on the players, not anyone else.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So this is the 3rd straight back up goaltender we're facing?

Devils are coming off road wins against Vegas and Nashville. #GetYourExcusesReady

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Hopefully we finally win a 1 PM game.

Last two times I went to bed with that horrible loss vs. Chicago and a 7-2 beating from St.Louis.

Not good.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
Kings desperately need the first (preferably early) goal to wake them and the crowd up for the matinee. Crowds are lifeless on Saturday afternoons.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Hope Quick can play like he did last game. He was very focused and wasn't being over aggressive. A conservative Quick is an elite quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad