GDT: GM#29 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild@7:00

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Here's my favorite Quick stat. 8 total Stanley Cup Final game victories. 5 - 0 in OT. FIVE victories, ZERO losses in sudden death. That's what separates him between those 2 other big market guys.
I’ve always said it. Forget the stats, Quick is the best money goalie out there. When the game is on the line he is at his best.

Reactions: KingTrouty

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The 'problem' with Quick is he's so active he looks terrible when he gets scored on as compared to the reserved butterfly guys as the puck simply gets past them as opposed to AROUND Quick, haha. Those career stats should be more impressive given how 'bad' people have thought he was with an artificially depressed save % due to lack of stat padding shot volume and in context with his massive injuries.

I really need to find the article but there was a great writeup once where it talked about guys like Hasek, Quick, Thomas-style 'battlers' vs. butterfly percentage guys but the gist was that even if the athletic guy lets in an odd goal now and then he's also going to make saves the other guys can't/won't because of that athleticism and those are often the gamebreakers. I think we can confirm that observation to a degree.
couldn't agree more with this

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The 'problem' with Quick is he's so active he looks terrible when he gets scored on as compared to the reserved butterfly guys as the puck simply gets past them as opposed to AROUND Quick, haha. Those career stats should be more impressive given how 'bad' people have thought he was with an artificially depressed save % due to lack of stat padding shot volume and in context with his massive injuries.

I really need to find the article but there was a great writeup once where it talked about guys like Hasek, Quick, Thomas-style 'battlers' vs. butterfly percentage guys but the gist was that even if the athletic guy lets in an odd goal now and then he's also going to make saves the other guys can't/won't because of that athleticism and those are often the gamebreakers. I think we can confirm that observation to a degree.

I think this is where career GAA can shed some light that Save% doesn't. Only three goalies in the modern era have had a lower GAA than Quick for their careers. Dryden, Hasek, and Brodeur. Rask is tied with Quick as well at 2.26. Hasek has the lowest at 2.20, Dryden at 2.22, Brodeur at 2.24 IIRC.(minimum 300 games played)

Last edited:

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
next time anyone needs a reminder as to just how important Quick is to this team, just think back to last season and reminisce on the Budaj/Zatkoff tandem. respect to Budaj because he played his balls off but the difference is astronomical

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->