GDT: GM#28 LA Kings vs Chicago Blackhawks@4:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
man it's a different system under a different coach with a different team.. **** previous years' stats.
I wasn't the one using stats,I was responding to a poster making a stat argument.Different team is kinda a stretch,Doughty,Kopi,Brown,Muzzin,Pearson,Toffoli,Carter,Gabby,Martinez,Lewis,Shore,Fobort,Andreoff,Clifford,Quick 15 original players from at lease last year, not a different team when a majority is still on it from the years before.Stevens has been asst for the team for 7 years and is no new coach.He is now the head coach since his intern coaching stint when Kings where looking to hire a new coach when they fired Murray.Yes the system is refreshing new and fast pace.He does have a new coaching staff tho.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
:banana::devdance::pickle:KINGS WIN!!!:devdance::pickle::banana::devdance:KINGS WIN!!!:pickle::banana::devdance::pickle:KINGS WIN!!!:banana:
:pickle::banana::devdance:KINGS WIN!!!:devdance::devdance::pickle::banana:KINGS WIN!!!:pickle:

BETTER?
i mean it's whatever man, you don't have to be sarcastic about it. last week or two you've just been taking every possible opportunity to shit on the team as a whole and it's getting kinda old. are there problems to address? sure. that's true for every team. i'm not sitting here planning the parade but they ground out a win after a complete stinker of a 2nd period. i'm happy about that.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
and the kings also haven't given up any of those 7, 8, 9, 10 goals against games like the pens have done repeatedly.

worst was that 5 spot against the lightning right? and that was far and away the worst showing of the year

I guess some don't learn from using stats.I guess stats win Stanley cups Kings win their first cup as a 8th seed lol.Please stop using stats.The Pens have depth and fill those holes during the trade deadline the last couple years.Lightening look good as well.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The Lightning look great and Pens.

The Kings look better than the Pens this year. And not to take anything away from the Lightning, they look fabulous, but it isn't because of depth. They have one of the least games missed to injury in the league. They have 13 guys that have played in all 26 games, and two that have played 25. That's insane.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The Lightning look great and Pens.
The Pens actually won without their best Dman and the players that stepped up I wouldn’t consider top 6... it’s all about getting to the playoffs, then it’s anyones guess. TB has looked great the last 2 seasons but ran into a less talented Pens team... what we really lacked was a true 3C but Kempe is breaking out, add in the resurgence of Brown, Gaborik and Quick... and while we are streaky, we are still one of the best teams in the NHL right up there with TB, PIT and the Preds... there are no other teams that I would rank above or favor over the Kings ..

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Well you all have a great night.If stats are the answer to winning cups as some try to use, you should send that to Stevens so the Kings can win more cups.Better yet go seek a head coaching position with the Flyers or Canadians and tell them you have the winning formula to bring championships to their organization with stats.The answer to winning cups is a combination of puck luck and depth at every position.

Last edited:

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Kings lack depth in the top 6.If Kopi goes down Jeff would've to cover for him.If Brown goes down then Gabby would probably cover him.But then who replaces Carter at the number 2 center?Shore? Not during the playoffs. Cause Shore can't make up for Carters production.Then who replaces Toffoli or Pearson if they went down?No one.The team can't suffer a Doughty injury or Muzzin going down.Kings are not as deep as most assume.

This is a salary cap league, nobody has the type of depth you are talking about

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
This is a salary cap league, nobody has the type of depth you are talking about
Depth in your farm system is part of the depth.Then you can bring up depth or trade for it.Like Lombardi did trading for Carter and Mike Richards to fill the holes and needs or depth.

Reactions: KINGS17

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
i swear the infighting on this board has gotten out of control in the past couple weeks

There's no infighting here,None of this in anyway is personal.I'm also not a drone that makes excuses and parrots the same denial excuses.Thats not pointed at anyone particular.This teams needs are not recent or new.Its been the same for the last few years that many of us who were attacked for pointing out.Some act like the LA Kings poster boys that live in a state of delusion.We can agree on many things, but others seem to bully others if they don't agree with their view.We all want the same result,the Kings to have the best success and compete for Cups,some just have a different opinion on how.

Last edited:
Reactions: KINGS17

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Gaborik-Kempe-Lewis

That's a pretty freaking killer top 9 that I take up against anyone. Then mix and match a 4th of Jokinen-Brodzinski-SHORE (one of the best 4ths in the game)-Clifford and you get the idea. Where exactly do we put another top-six center, and who is this mythical player that's available that's better than those? There's more to a championship team than raw talent, a guy like Iafallo may not produce numbers like Kessel but he enables Kopitar and Brown like no one has since Williams.

On Defense, I'd agree that we could use another top-4 guy to be a true contender. I think Doughty-Muzzin is about as good as it's going to get for a top-pairing. The rest is a bunch of #4-#5 guys. And who knows what version of LaDue we'll see at some point, I'd like to think he'd be a great fit for our transition game. Not many #3 d-men available that I'd want especially on teams that are far enough out of the race to consider.

That's literally the only hole I can think of, keeping in mind the pipeline is starting to fill up with Clague, Vilardi, Wagner, Amadio.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
i swear the infighting on this board has gotten out of control in the past couple weeks
Weeks? More like years.

Everyone has to find something to be unhappy about no matter how well the team is doing. We’re one of the best teams in the league while missing our 2C and just went 4-0 on a tough road trip. Reading this place you’d think we are the Sabres.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Gaborik-Kempe-Lewis

That's a pretty freaking killer top 9 that I take up against anyone. Then mix and match a 4th of Jokinen-Brodzinski-SHORE (one of the best 4ths in the game)-Clifford and you get the idea. Where exactly do we put another top-six center, and who is this mythical player that's available that's better than those? There's more to a championship team than raw talent, a guy like Iafallo may not produce numbers like Kessel but he enables Kopitar and Brown like no one has since Williams.

On Defense, I'd agree that we could use another top-4 guy to be a true contender. I think Doughty-Muzzin is about as good as it's going to get for a top-pairing. The rest is a bunch of #4-#5 guys. And who knows what version of LaDue we'll see at some point, I'd like to think he'd be a great fit for our transition game. Not many #3 d-men available that I'd want especially on teams that are far enough out of the race to consider.

That's literally the only hole I can think of, keeping in mind the pipeline is starting to fill up with Clague, Vilardi, Wagner, Amadio.

The dreaded Voynov hole

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Weeks? More like years.

Everyone has to find something to be unhappy about no matter how well the team is doing. We’re one of the best teams in the league while missing our 2C and just went 4-0 on a tough road trip. Reading this place you’d think we are the Sabres.

I don't know, how well did the Kings play the last three years? The Kings are looking good now because their highest paid players are playing much better this season, and most noticeably Anze Kopitar.

Maybe Stevens found the key by playing Kopitar with wingers which force Kopitar to be more offensive minded and shoot the puck. This is not exactly a new idea though as it was a favorite tactic of Sutter's to try to get Kopitar to create more offense for himself in the past. It should be no secret when Kopitar shoots the puck more the Kings are better off. The onus is on Kopitar to keep doing it though and not take any significant time off this season as he has done in the past.

I notice some of the people singing the Kings praises now after a great road trip are the very same people who harshly criticized them during the losing streak. I still don't think the roster as it is currently constituted is a legit contender, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't know, how well did the Kings play the last three years? The Kings are looking good now because their highest paid players are playing much better this season, and most noticeably Anze Kopitar.

Maybe Stevens found the key by playing Kopitar with wingers which force Kopitar to be more offensive minded and shoot the puck. This is not exactly a new idea though as it was a favorite tactic of Sutter's to try to get Kopitar to create more offense for himself in the past. It should be no secret when Kopitar shoots the puck more the Kings are better off. The onus is on Kopitar to keep doing it though and not take any significant time off this season as he has done in the past.

I notice some of the people singing the Kings praises now after a great road trip are the very same people who harshly criticized them during the losing streak. I still don't think the roster as it is currently constituted is a legit contender, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Genuinely asking, what would YOU say is missing?

Because although they didn't have the results the last few years, the pieces are arguably there, as we've seen before and now. 1C, 2C capable of dominating their matchups (which wasn't happening). A top 1D all situations in the game--behind him are the questions. Arguably the best American goalie of all time. Various of those core guys were off or hurt, even now--the roster isn't significantly different, but it's PERFORMING. It performed in 2012, 2013, 2014, fell short in 2015, fell apart after that. And now after some system shifts, they're back. The common pieces are still here. You can argue maybe they're over the hill (I don't buy that), but in what ways is the roster flawed? Significantly more than other true contenders, I mean?

Even the "true contenders" have to play to their abilities. I'm not lumping us in with TB quite yet, don't get me wrong, but we're definitely in that contender crowd at this point.

Not @ you but I don't know why people are so scared to be optimistic that they argue against logic, visuals, and stats so that they can be prepared to be let down/miserable.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Genuinely asking, what would YOU say is missing?

Because although they didn't have the results the last few years, the pieces are arguably there, as we've seen before and now. 1C, 2C capable of dominating their matchups (which wasn't happening). A top 1D all situations in the game--behind him are the questions. Arguably the best American goalie of all time. Various of those core guys were off or hurt, even now--the roster isn't significantly different, but it's PERFORMING. It performed in 2012, 2013, 2014, fell short in 2015, fell apart after that. And now after some system shifts, they're back. The common pieces are still here. You can argue maybe they're over the hill (I don't buy that), but in what ways is the roster flawed? Significantly more than other true contenders, I mean?

Even the "true contenders" have to play to their abilities. I'm not lumping us in with TB quite yet, don't get me wrong, but we're definitely in that contender crowd at this point.

Not @ you but I don't know why people are so scared to be optimistic that they argue against logic, visuals, and stats so that they can be prepared to be let down/miserable.

I'm not ready to proclaim the Kings as back to the same level of 2012 - 2015 just yet, but maybe they don't have to be as good as those teams to make some significant noise.

You identified the issue a week or so ago. This defense when pressured in the right way coughs up the puck much too easily in it's own zone. When it happens and Quick isn't at the top of his game as it was during the losing streak, the Kings lose games by getting bottled up in their own zone. I think damacles correctly pointed out the Kings are 0-6 against teams employing a style similar to the one the Kings used from 2012-2016.

All teams have some holes, but the cream of the crop seem to have more depth to cover those holes up. I am impressed by what the Kings have accomplished thus far, but remain skeptical about the long haul. If Gaborik can stay healthy and the Kings can put three lines on the ice which can score as we enter the dog days then the final stretch, my assessment of their prognosis for success in the playoffs will improve.

People who are not as optimistic as you are not arguing against logic. They see the same streaky team you see.

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I don't see why the Kings not playing well the last few years means we need to keep harping on them this year when they're playing well. I also don't see why people should be assholes to each other here regardless of how good or bad the Kings are playing. After all, everyone here is Kings fan... but I guess that's just one creampuff's opinion.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Blake did say Kopitar couldn't shoot for 3 months last year cause of his wrist. While probably exaggerated a bit, he was clearly injured.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't see why the Kings not playing well the last few years means we need to keep harping on them this year when they're playing well. I also don't see why people should be *******s to each other here regardless of how good or bad the Kings are playing. After all, everyone here is Kings fan... but I guess that's just one creampuff's opinion.

Yet you’re the creampuff who would attack others for their dissenting opinions. The hypocrisy is strong in this one. Heed your own words.

Reactions: Sol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad