GDT: GM#28 LA Kings vs Chicago Blackhawks@4:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
No their not pretenders but let's not get carried away and act like this team as is can win a cup, it can't until it fills their holes in the roster.The Kings need at lease another top 4 defenseman or top 6 winger.

Defenseman, sure. Not worried about another top 6, we have one on the IR.

The Kings have a lot of depth compared to other teams in the league. It's a reality of the cap, all teams are going to have some kind of hole.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Haaaaa.

Attachments

• 04D08A0A-091F-43C1-8548-4A9575064A31.jpeg
    04D08A0A-091F-43C1-8548-4A9575064A31.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 20

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
We already have a top 6 winger coming back about February with any luck.

Lol No Carter can play wing but on this team he is their second line winger mainly not their top 6 winger funny tho.Kings are still lacking another top 6 winger and or top 4 defenseman.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
No their not pretenders but let's not get carried away and act like this team as is can win a cup, it can't until it fills their holes in the roster.The Kings need at lease another top 4 defenseman or top 6 winger.
Oh shut up! Lol
We need a few things but with so much parity in the NHL it is wide open D28. I really wanna see LaDue up ASAP, we need another reliable puck mover...
Also, just a general thought/question... we all know Drew can carry anybody as a partner, so does he really need a physical partner or could he benefit from having a puck mover like Paul ?? Or are they both play on the same side

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I hope Folin works his way into a regular spot. He's been great lately. MacDermid still worries me, he turns the puck over often in bad spots.

Forbort has looked a little better the last couple games too. Still has a bit of trouble getting pucks out but at least they are smarter plays.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Defenseman, sure. Not worried about another top 6, we have one on the IR.

The Kings have a lot of depth compared to other teams in the league. It's a reality of the cap, all teams are going to have some kind of hole.[/QUOTE

Kings lack depth in the top 6.If Kopi goes down Jeff would've to cover for him.If Brown goes down then Gabby would probably cover him.But then who replaces Carter at the number 2 center?Shore? Not during the playoffs. Cause Shore can't make up for Carters production.Then who replaces Toffoli or Pearson if they went down?No one.The team can't suffer a Doughty injury or Muzzin going down.Kings are not as deep as most assume.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings lack depth in the top 6.If Kopi goes down Jeff would've to cover for him.If Brown goes down then Gabby would probably cover him.But then who replaces Carter at the number 2 center?Shore Not during the playoffs.Then who replaces Toffoli or Pearson if they went down?No one.The team can't suffer a Doughty injury or Muzzin going down.Kings are not as deep as most assume.

You can say that about literally any top center.

Parity is close enough in this league that any team losing those kinds of players will be hurt. Some less than others, sure, but you don't 'replace' Carter. Kempe has been admirable enough.

Everyone cites the Ducks as an example of a team succeeding despite injuries but they have the third worst goal differential in the west and are second to last by points percentage. You can only go so long this way.

You can always improve your team which I agree with, but as Fishhead said, in the cap era, everyone has holes. I don't think this roster is fundamentally flawed given they're 7th in the entire league in points percentage after missing Carter and Gaborik for most of the year. We're going to be sitting players who have played very well (Brodzinski, Mitchell, for example).

Reactions: KingTrouty

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kings lack depth in the top 6.If Kopi goes down Jeff would've to cover for him.If Brown goes down then Gabby would probably cover him.But then who replaces Carter at the number 2 center?Shore Not during the playoffs.Then who replaces Toffoli or Pearson if they went down?No one.The team can't suffer a Doughty injury or Muzzin going down.Kings are not as deep as most assume.
I’m curious as to who is actually deep enough to cover those types of losses??? I truly think next season with Vilardi, Amadio and Clague.. we will potentially have the depth your talking about, I hope we get their because it’s those secondary pieces that can make us contenders again!

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Who's going out of the line up when Clifford is ready? I thought Brodz had a good game, he was one of the guys taking the shots but I think JS will sit him.
Hard to say. We also have Andreoff coming back as well. You have to put either Brodzinski or Dowd in the minors.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
You can say that about literally any top center.

Parity is close enough in this league that any team losing those kinds of players will be hurt. Some less than others, sure, but you don't 'replace' Carter. Kempe has been admirable enough.

Everyone cites the Ducks as an example of a team succeeding despite injuries but they have the third worst goal differential in the west and are second to last by points percentage. You can only go so long this way.

You can always improve your team which I agree with, but as Fishhead said, in the cap era, everyone has holes. I don't think this roster is fundamentally flawed given they're 7th in the entire league in points percentage after missing Carter and Gaborik for most of the year.
I agree that every team has holes due to cap era.My point isn't about regular season depth play, it's about being a true contender and having the depth to cover certain injuries in the top 6 and injuries to a Muzzin as a example.Ladue isn't going to replace Muzzins toughness.Ladue I'm hearing wasn't ready this season according to the front office.Kings need a top 6 including Carter lol and or a top 4 defenseman to be a serious contender.Its not a knock it's just observing this team for the last few years.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Kings lack depth in the top 6.If Kopi goes down Jeff would've to cover for him.If Brown goes down then Gabby would probably cover him.But then who replaces Carter at the number 2 center?Shore? Not during the playoffs. Cause Shore can't make up for Carters production.Then who replaces Toffoli or Pearson if they went down?No one.The team can't suffer a Doughty injury or Muzzin going down.Kings are not as deep as most assume.

You're trying too hard. Like WAY too hard. Laughably hard. That's fine, you can pick apart any team if you try hard enough. But here are a few telltale signs that the Kings are playing well. 1) Good defense. Yeah, it's not as good as years past yada yada yada. But they're still tops in GAA per game in the league. What does that say about the rest of the league? 2) Effective Penalty Kill. #1 with a bullet. 3) Good road record. Check.

I'm not saying the Kings are going to win the Cup, but when the Kings were good, really good, they excelled at those 3 things. And this is all happening w/o Jeff Carter. The signs are there for these guys to take it to the next level. It's the foundation to success.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
You're trying too hard. Like WAY too hard. Laughably hard. That's fine, you can pick apart any team if you try hard enough. But here are a few telltale signs that the Kings are playing well. 1) Good defense. Yeah, it's not as good as years past yada yada yada. But they're still tops in GAA per game in the league. What does that say about the rest of the league? 2) Effective Penalty Kill. #1 with a bullet. 3) Good road record. Check.

I'm not saying the Kings are going to win the Cup, but when the Kings were good, really good, they excelled at those 3 things. And this is all happening w/o Jeff Carter. The signs are there for these guys to take it to the next level. It's the foundation to success.

I got no time to research the actual numbers but what was GAA last year and the year before that?No playoffs.Defense wasnt bad either missed the playoffs. KP was good for what I remember missed the playoffs.So that isn't a tale tale sign, it's cherry picking stats not playoff results.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I agree that every team has holes due to cap era.My point isn't about regular season depth play, it's about being a true contender and having the depth to cover certain injuries in the top 6 and injuries to a Muzzin as a example.Ladue isn't going to replace Muzzins toughness.Ladue I'm hearing wasn't ready this season according to the front office.Kings need a top 6 including Carter lol and or a top 4 defenseman to be a serious contender.Its not a knock it's just observing this team for the last few years.
What team has that??? And in all honestly, going forward what team will truly be able to afford that after Edmonton ruined salary cap management for everybody with those deals

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I got no time to research the actual numbers but what was GAA last year and the year before that?No playoffs.Defense wasnt bad either missed the playoffs. KP was good for what I remember missed the playoffs.So that isn't a tale tale sign, it's cherry picking stats not playoff results.
man it's a different system under a different coach with a different team.. f*** previous years' stats.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I enjoy every win, I'm just keeping it real and not masquerade like this team still doesn't have holes to fill before they could be a serious cup contender.

I think that logic is a bit flawed, to be honest. The last two times the Kings won, while I'm sure we were complaining about holes to be filled, they showed that once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. (That doesn't mean cross your fingers and hope for the best) If they pick up a stay at home defenseman...(Greene, Scuds, Mitchell type) and have Carter come back., I'd be very happy. This team is a lot stronger from previous seasons even given our home record.

Reactions: Sol

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

We have the top PK in the league and are the best defense by Goals against per game. We're 13th in goals for per game. We're tops in goaltending.

We were doing all of this despite missing Carter practically all year and Gaborik until recently. 5th in the league in points percentage.

You're not asking for a true contender, you're asking for a dynastic roster.

How would the Pens do without Malkin, you think? Is there a hole in their team because they don't have a guy who could easily walk into that role?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Lightning look great and Pens.

That awkward moment when you're realize that you're tied in offense with the Pens and slaying them in most metrics.

Edit: if you perform the same analysis on the Pens and Lightning, you could argue the Pens need a whole lot more than 1 top-4 d-man and that even though the TBL are probably the closest thing to a complete roster in the league they have defensive issues as well. By your standards, anyway.

We're literally a top-5 team in the league thus far and have a roster comparable to 'the best'. I'm just going to enjoy the f***ing ride.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
That awkward moment when you're realize that you're tied in offense with the Pens and slaying them in most metrics.
and the kings also haven't given up any of those 7, 8, 9, 10 goals against games like the pens have done repeatedly.

worst was that 5 spot against the lightning right? and that was far and away the worst showing of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad