News Article: Globe & Mail article (includes comments from Chipman)

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think things would be much worse if we had a team that has minimal current talent, and has not much in the way of future prospects. Vancouver comes to mind...it must be painful supporting the owner over there. Even though we haven't done much yet, our team has a ton of talent and some decent prospects, so it keeps hope alive.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It's not about blind approval. It's about letting things that are out of your control ruin your overall enjoyment of the sport.

Like the moves or hate the moves, the minute they're Jets, they're my boys. I pull for them until they are somebody else's problem. If the only reason you pull for a team is the prospect of success, you're just a bandwagonner IMO.

Unfortunately, due to financial realities I an only attend a couple/few games a year. I blame teams like the Leafs and Rangers for that, not Chipman. Their buy-a-championship ways back in the day are why prices are so ridiculously high.

So like it or lump it, if you are fortunate enough, (or hard working enough, no disparagement intended) to afford season tickets in this new reality, it sadly falls on you to keep the team here. Chipman will not lose his shirt over it, and why should he?

Also, take you favourite GM. Add you favourite coach. If you think adding those two people, whomever they are, is a guarantee of success, you obviously don't watch a lot of sports. There are no guarantees.
And yet people in some markets get tickets, hot dogs , parking and back rubs for $ 25.00 and us dumb ass Canucks fork over $250.00 for a seat, $ 10.00 for a beer etc, etc
We ought to blame ourselves don’t you think ?
The first example might be slightly
exaggerating.

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
There is no 'blame' to be had. Merely reality. I don't pretend to understand how some of those southern teams can absorb the losses they must be sustaining. I just know TNSE isn't willing to.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
There is no 'blame' to be had. Merely reality. I don't pretend to understand how some of those southern teams can absorb the losses they must be sustaining. I just know TNSE isn't willing to.
I know I don’t know.
Are Canadians unknowingly subsidizing it ?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The idea of fair return on investment is an interesting one. In 2016 Forbes estimated the operating profit on the Jets to be $11.4 M, putting them 13th in the league. Florida was at the bottom at -$ 15.4 M. Would Chipman and company be willing to take a $15.4 M haircut each year? I kind of doubt it. While it isn't happening as fast as people hoped, my understanding is they are trying to grow an organization that gets to the point of long term sustainable success, thereby ensuring long term operating profits. People bailing early is a risk, but one I'm guessing they are willing to ride out for now. As we all know if/when we ever become a real contender Jets tickets will once again be a hot commodity. It is all a bit of a high stakes balancing act, but an easy one to take pot shots at from the cheap seats.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A little hyperbole there, no? We're now in danger of losing the team because fans including some season seat holders are frustratedly? And Chipman and co. Are going to take their ball and go home to Quebec?

My point is that there has been ample time to put together a solid team and really Chevy has done that in very solid fashion. What I question is whether management is behaving truly professionally in terms of how they manage their coaching. Sure eventually they'll figure it out. But what is the line that can be drawn in the sand where we no longer blindly fling cash at them out of that fear of losing the team. Never have liked emotional blackmail as a means of threatening someone into doing something and that's exactly what holding the potential loss of the jets over our head is.

We aren't that different in our views, I've just reached a point of impatience with the process faster than you. I've got guys threatening to leave my group already so while I may be comfortable with my current price point it seems to keep getting more expensive with each passing year. Lost one already and though everyone was clamouring for more seats Nobody seemed to want to step up and take more games. Go figure. I just believe my group is a microcosm of non corporate jets season ticket groups. I'm not convinced TNSE does an effective job of accounting for that. None of my group owns a cabin at Lake of the Woods but I'd bet we're representative of 50%+ so season ticket holders. Maybe not the ones that count though because we're p3 or higher.
You bring up some good points. In terms of your season ticket group and many others as well, IMO there were a lot of people caught up in the initial excitement that weren't well suited to be ST holders. Either they didn't have the financial resources, the time commitment or maybe even they true passion required to attend year after year. I'd probably go to 10-12 games a year even if it was 2 travelling team coming in and I had no horse in the race. I just prefer NHL hockey to other forms of entertainment. You add in, my attachment to young players from draft day to NHL apprenticeship and I'm attached to the story line before even weighing in success. Even if we don't make the playoffs I still get to watch Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers etc live on a regular bases. And on occasion I get to watch the likes of McDavid, Crosby, Doughty and Karlsson play live. I really do have the patience to wait for success because I'm enjoying the long and sometimes puzzling journey there. And nothing would hurt more than to no longer have our NHL team. So I will support them through thick and thin no matter what happens.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You bring up some good points. In terms of your season ticket group and many others as well, IMO there were a lot of people caught up in the initial excitement that weren't well suited to be ST holders. Either they didn't have the financial resources, the time commitment or maybe even they true passion required to attend year after year. I'd probably go to 10-12 games a year even if it was 2 travelling team coming in and I had no horse in the race. I just prefer NHL hockey to other forms of entertainment. You add in, my attachment to young players from draft day to NHL apprenticeship and I'm attached to the story line before even weighing in success. Even if we don't make the playoffs I still get to watch Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers etc live on a regular bases. And on occasion I get to watch the likes of McDavid, Crosby, Doughty and Karlsson play live. I really do have the patience to wait for success because I'm enjoying the long and sometimes puzzling journey there. And nothing would hurt more than to no longer have our NHL team. So I will support them through thick and thin no matter what happens.

Winnipeg has a much smaller pool of willing & good customers like you, therefore it’s important that folks like you stay on board.
I agree many initial ticket buyers probably should not have bought ST.
Personally I appreciate those who are willing to pay the necessary price to keep this viable like yourself.
I just hope TNSE feels that loyalty towards you that you obviously feel towards them.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Winnipeg has a much smaller pool of willing & good customers like you, therefore it’s important that folks like you stay on board.
I agree many initial ticket buyers probably should not have bought ST.
Personally I appreciate those who are willing to pay the necessary price to keep this viable like yourself.
I just hope TNSE feels that loyalty towards you that you obviously feel towards them.
Thanks and I appreciate the discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->