News Article: Globe & Mail article (includes comments from Chipman)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
You can’t really expect people to continue to spends hundreds and thousands of dollars every year if there aren’t some good years. Right now I wouldn’t blame some not going to as many games if things don’t turn in the right direction.

Reactions: purdy44

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You can’t really expect people to continue to spends hundreds and thousands of dollars every year if there aren’t some good years. Right now I wouldn’t blame some not going to as many games if things don’t turn in the right direction.
7 years is a very long time.
It’s supposed to be fun and entertaining.
The last few years have been anything but that.
What part of that does Chipman not
understand?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
These forums are not the pulse of the average fan or season ticket holder, this place is the other 15%. Spending any objective meaningful time here you realize there are all the same cast of characters as other forums. Without labeling said character; the opinions are very polarized...be they informed or not.

Chipman is not playing with fire, he has an asset to manage, and like any corporation is going to do what is best for that corporation and not, thankfully, run the team based on the opinions of the forums self professed gurus.
IMHO
This HF community is more emotionally invested than the casual fan agreed.
It’s the casual fan who can switch entertainment allegiances at the drop of the hat and that’s where Chipman ought to be concerned.
Seriously do you think it’s wise to keep running for example with Huddy and Flaherty?
Are they here because that are successful or are they here because they are buddies?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
These forums are not the pulse of the average fan or season ticket holder, this place is the other 15%. Spending any objective meaningful time here you realize there are all the same cast of characters as other forums. Without labeling said character; the opinions are very polarized...be they informed or not.

Chipman is not playing with fire, he has an asset to manage, and like any corporation is going to do what is best for that corporation and not, thankfully, run the team based on the opinions of the forums self professed gurus.
IMHO
Quite agree with you, SR. The mood here is distinctly more negative and downcast than in the mainstream. To me, it's like a giant PGT here, all the time, so I mostly stay away.
The mood among my circle is still upbeat, as they see the Jets as an occasional diversion, recreation, something to laugh about, even after a loss. Much healthier that way.

Reactions: Lars65

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I did not get that feeling at all.

Lets face it, we were lucky to get a team back.

Chipman said at the Jets Fan Fest their goal is to win a Stanley Cup.

And he thinks the best way to do that is to keep Chevyldayoff and Maurice around? What could go wrong?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
IMHO

Lots of managers do what they think is best for their corporations. Lots of those corporations fail because what those managers don't realize is that they really aren't that great at managing. Chipman might be good at selling cars and developing real estate, but when it comes to building hockey teams, I think he has grossly overestimated his own talent level.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Quite agree with you, SR. The mood here is distinctly more negative and downcast than in the mainstream. To me, it's like a giant PGT here, all the time, so I mostly stay away.
The mood among my circle is still upbeat, as they see the Jets as an occasional diversion, recreation, something to laugh about, even after a loss. Much healthier that way.

The mood here is critical mostly.
I think everyone wants so much more from the team given the good job Chevy did in assembling a very roster but so far only on paper.
Kudos to you and your crowd to stay even keeled.
It’s only a game after all.

Reactions: Lars65

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The fact that we still don't know what the term on Chevy/Maurice's extension was is absolutely mind boggling to me. I am not calling for either of these guys to get fired, just want to know what the org's plans are with them. Every other fanbase takes knowing the term of their coach/gm for granted yet somehow we are left in the dark.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I'm not going to rehash concerns that I've raised in other threads but I'll just say this - Chipman does not get it. He's going to misread and mismanage this market until the team is gone. There are only so many fans willing to shell out thousands of dollars per year in a city this size and he's chewing through them pretty quickly.

I used to think quite highly of him too.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I know who owns me. But what about the Winnipeg Jets. How much % do you think Chipman owns in TNSE? and how much Osmington?

It was reported several years ago that it was a 50/50 split with Chipman being the head "governor" We have no way of knowing if this has or will ever change. I doubt there's been any cash calls yet that could make a change in this arrangement. The next lockout might be a pressure point that could affect things.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Perhaps he means Tier 2 -3 fans much like Kevin Lowe did.
Arrogant attitudes like Kevin’s did him in too

Oh, well that's different. He has a point then. Tier 3 fans are scum. They bathe irregularly and are known to frequent houses of ill repute. If you can't get yourself up to at least a Tier 2 level, your fan membership should be revoked. ;)

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
This HF community is more emotionally invested than the casual fan agreed.
It’s the casual fan who can switch entertainment allegiances at the drop of the hat and that’s where Chipman ought to be concerned.
Seriously do you think it’s wise to keep running for example with Huddy and Flaherty?
Are they here because that are successful or are they here because they are buddies?
My personal opinion has been launch Flaherty and Huddy since the Noel days. Our D has consistently left our goalies hanging out to dry (blown coverage or out of position) as Mason is now experiencing.
The loyalty thing is great, but there comes a time to make the hard business decisions.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Honestly the comments in the article are taken out of context. I’m sure he knows the importance of making the playoffs this season. It’s on Chevy to swallow his pride and make moves to shake the team up should this continue. I honestly don’t see another way. Maurice HAS to go.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly the comments in the article are taken out of context. I’m sure he knows the importance of making the playoffs this season. It’s on Chevy to swallow his pride and make moves to shake the team up should this continue. I honestly don’t see another way. Maurice HAS to go.
They will get rid of a player and one or more of the assitants before Mo.
My understanding, at least what has been publically said is that Mo has done exactaly what has been asked of him by Chevy & Chipman.
Attracting another coach is not going to be easy if we fire coaches for towing the party line. Remember, just like UFA players, we have to sell them on our market, team and location. Look how well that has gone in the past...this isn't a video game where you can plug in whatever pieces if they are available. Real life has a multitude of complexities that come into play.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
They will get rid of a player and one or more of the assitants before Mo.
My understanding, at least what has been publically said is that Mo has done exactaly what has been asked of him by Chevy & Chipman.
Attracting another coach is not going to be easy if we fire coaches for towing the party line. Remember, just like UFA players, we have to sell them on our market, team and location. Look how well that has gone in the past...this isn't a video game where you can plug in whatever pieces if they are available. Real life has a multitude of complexities that come into play.

This is pure speculation. There is absolutely no proof of this and it’s simply hearsay. I doubt that Maurice would accept being told what to do in terms of systems or who to play. In the end it reflects on him and unltimately affects his career. I don’t buy that he’s handcuffed.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
This is pure speculation. There is absolutely no proof of this and it’s simply hearsay. I doubt that Maurice would accept being told what to do in terms of systems or who to play. In the end it reflects on him and unltimately affects his career. I don’t buy that he’s handcuffed.
Could you kindly point out where I said he was handcuffed or he was told to play specific systems? I am at a loss on where you might believe I inferred that.
I am mearly alluding to the change from develop these young NHL ready assests to changing the focus to, you've got the team...start the big push.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I hope he realizes that there are fans on the wait list, season ticket holders, AND fans who are neither who have concerns. It's not unique to non-season ticket holding fans.

That remark may be taken out of context, but if it's not, it is a bit concerning.

The secondary market is the canary in the coal mine, and it died two years ago.

We're now seeing the results.

This year marks the first year my dad isn't in a season ticket group, because it became too hard to get rid of tickets to games no one could make.

Make no mistake, demand has taken a steep nosedive

These are both good posts on the topic. I am very skeptical of the press so I take everything with a grain of salt. So that being said unless Mark is just spinning he will need to update his lockstep research because every season ticket holder I know, and that is a big number, are expecting playoffs or close this year. They are all expecting a big step forward.

Tom you are correct the secondary market has dried up and although I am greatful TNSE has given us some flexibility on selling prices I doubt that will be enough this year.

Note to Mark from me. Amazing work on getting the team back. This is a big season and you either need to make the playoffs or take action. Most fans I know are not going to settle for year after year of non playoff hockey. Having lots of talented players and sucking is actually even more frustrating. Mark All the great qualities it took to get an NHL franchise like patience, loyalty, resolve, being a class act were noble and you pulled it off. However, those same qualities may be getting in the way now and by that I mean you may be getting in the way. Daryl Katz figured out that he needed help and if we fail this season I am looking squarely at you. You may need to add a layer between you and Chevy. Mark you will always be needed on the business side and as a board of governors type but your make up as a person might not be ideal as a hockey ops exec.

All my comments I would have written before this season started. The nightmare beginning is just a two game sample size and I am not panicking quite yet I will review this after 10 games but if we haven’t pulled out of our death spiral the powers that be will need to act. I plan on renewing my season tickets but I know lots and lots of people that are opting out and buying game day when needed after this term. I know lots of people that are taking less games and bringing in additional seat partners too.

Mark the lockstep comment was really really clunky and sadly outdated. Don’t confuse a sold out building for happy customers. Please don’t fiddle while Rome burns because I want a SUCCESSFUL vibrant NHL franchise here for my kids to enjoy one day.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Don’t confuse a sold out building for happy customers. Please don’t fiddle while Rome burns because I want a SUCCESSFUL vibrant NHL franchise here for my kids to enjoy one day.

Well said. I really hope that this is just a two game anomaly, but if not: I hope action is taken quickly. I truly believe that Chevy has assembled a talented roster - don't waste this year!

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Chipper is genuine to me. He's doing what he bpcan but his loyalty to Maurice puzzles me! The extension this summer was a mistake for lowly PauMau. His message ain't getting Through.

It's a blessing they are back and we should never forget that no matter how depressing the squad can be.

Hopefully I'm wrong regarding PauMau this year and the team comes around.

Go Jets Go

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
This team needs an identity. The big, fast, physical Jets got into the playoffs a couple of years ago.

Players have changed. We’re a much more skilled group now that doesn’t defend nearly as well. We’re not imposing our physical will on teams anymore.

Perhaps drafting Vesalainen over Tolvanen was Chevy’s way at restocking the prospects cupboard with a big, fast, physical winger (who doesn’t score well).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->