News Article: Globe & Mail article (includes comments from Chipman)

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spo...he-winnipeg-jets/article36521185/?service=amp

Hopefully this link works, as I'm typing this from my Android phone. IMO, these are some very concerning comments from Chipman. It sounds very dismissive of passionate fans that don't toe the company line. What I get from this is that according to Mark, the only fans who truly matter are the ones with enough money for season tickets. And more troublesome is that his comments come across as "as long as people still come to the arena, it doesn't really matter how successful the on-ice product is". I'm also getting tired of True North continuing to bring up the "pain" of the team leaving in '96 and how it's a "privilege" to have an NHL team at all. To me that's just used as a tactic to keep the fans in line: "hey, remember that feeling when they left? Not a good feeling, was it? We sure don't want to go through that again, so we should shut up and just be happy to spend money on a losing team".

Of course there are going to be people who call me crazy, but I truly believe that the only way to get Chipman's attention is to have people in the arena demonstrate their discontent. Whether that's a chant, or some boo's, or not showing up (probably the most effective).

Reactions: McCree and GJETson

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
“You’re always going to have detractors, and some people say it hasn’t come soon enough and I can accept that,” he said. “I think for the most part our fans who are season-ticket holders are in lock step with us.”

I hope he realizes that there are fans on the wait list, season ticket holders, AND fans who are neither who have concerns. It's not unique to non-season ticket holding fans.

That remark may be taken out of context, but if it's not, it is a bit concerning.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
The waitlist is down 50% based on the number in this article. That's a significant drop.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spo...he-winnipeg-jets/article36521185/?service=amp

Hopefully this link works, as I'm typing this from my Android phone. IMO, these are some very concerning comments from Chipman. It sounds very dismissive of passionate fans that don't toe the company line. What I get from this is that according to Mark, the only fans who truly matter are the ones with enough money for season tickets. And more troublesome is that his comments come across as "as long as people still come to the arena, it doesn't really matter how successful the on-ice product is". I'm also getting tired of True North continuing to bring up the "pain" of the team leaving in '96 and how it's a "privilege" to have an NHL team at all. To me that's just used as a tactic to keep the fans in line: "hey, remember that feeling when they left? Not a good feeling, was it? We sure don't want to go through that again, so we should shut up and just be happy to spend money on a losing team".

Of course there are going to be people who call me crazy, but I truly believe that the only way to get Chipman's attention is to have people in the arena demonstrate their discontent. Whether that's a chant, or some boo's, or not showing up (probably the most effective).

I did not get that feeling at all.

Lets face it, we were lucky to get a team back.

Chipman said at the Jets Fan Fest their goal is to win a Stanley Cup.

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
I didn't read it to be so negative....I expect Chipman's friend and business circle is who he defines as season seat holders...the call in shows are inundated with long term regular callers who are talk show host favorities. We all tire of Marshall, North End Rick, David in Calgary etc...

Just my thoughts.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I didn't read it to be so negative....I expect Chipman's friend and business circle is who he defines as season seat holders...the call in shows are inundated with long term regular callers who are talk show host favorities. We all tire of Marshall, North End Rick, David in Calgary etc...

Just my thoughts.

There are many posters here who have been season ticket holders since the start who are expressing concerns. Was that comment from Chipman directed at them? Or was that collateral damage?

It could very well be taken out of context as well - I don't trust much that passes as journalism nowadays.

Reactions: Snot Rocket

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Chipman is in for a rude awakening. So many posters here that have been willing to wait it out and give the team the benefit of the doubt have flipped the switch this season. I am actually quite surprised how many here have decided they are putting up with the bullshit anymore.

That's where Chipman is playing with fire.

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
I have been a season seat holder since year 1 and have been paying P1 prices for the past 2 years. I am not offended by his comments. We are all frustrated with the current state of affairs as we have been led to believe things were going to be different. Unfortunatley we are seeing the same old flashes of promise, 2nd period collapses, poor special teams. We are all looking for scapegoats, but I am in the group that believes when Chipman has seen enough he will either get Chevy to move on coaching staff or Chevy himself goes. Because of the amount of $ tied up in extensions a business guy let Chipman isn't throwing away money just yet.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Leave it to the young rookie Laine to be embarrassed and ashamed when that sentiment should belong to the management and coaches. The vibe I get from this piece is that we're lucky to have them back, and that's really all we should hope for at this point. Yeah we are lucky to have them back. And yeah we want to see some energy and consistent effort. It's what drives a fan base to be a fan base.

Ya know, I don't really care if we make the playoffs. I really don't. But I want a team that tries every night they play like they want to go to the final dance. That's what kills it for me, the meh energy and attitude. That's what kills fan bases Chipman.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Said it before but TNSE will do nothing until you see patches of empty seats and bring out the you need to support this team or we can't promise continued viability. This is a cash cow for Chipman and his cohorts, they spent big and are trying to recoup as fast as possible and I don't begrudge him that, but sooner rather than later his team needs to win

Reactions: purdy44

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I hope he realizes that there are fans on the wait list, season ticket holders, AND fans who are neither who have concerns. It's not unique to non-season ticket holding fans.

That remark may be taken out of context, but if it's not, it is a bit concerning.

The Cleveland Browns have a loyal fan base that continues to sell out games despite not winning a playoff game since 1994. I doubt their ownership thinks that's because Browns fans have been in lockstep with their ownership and management direction though.

I thought peak Chipman arrogance was when he called a presser to try to take down the Mayor and pretend he was cancelling TNSE Square or when didn't want to be called "owner" preferred "stewards/trustees of the game" or whatever. This tops it. Get out of the bubble, Chipper.

Last edited:

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Chipman is in for a rude awakening. So many posters here that have been willing to wait it out and give the team the benefit of the doubt have flipped the switch this season. I am actually quite surprised how many here have decided they are putting up with the bull**** anymore.

That's where Chipman is playing with fire.
These forums are not the pulse of the average fan or season ticket holder, this place is the other 15%. Spending any objective meaningful time here you realize there are all the same cast of characters as other forums. Without labeling said character; the opinions are very polarized...be they informed or not.

Chipman is not playing with fire, he has an asset to manage, and like any corporation is going to do what is best for that corporation and not, thankfully, run the team based on the opinions of the forums self professed gurus.
IMHO

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
These forums are not the pulse of the average fan or season ticket holder, this place is the other 15%. Spending any objective meaningful time here you realize there are all the same cast of characters as other forums. Without labeling said character; the opinions are very polarized...be they informed or not.

Chipman is not playing with fire, he has an asset to manage, and like any corporation is going to do what is best for that corporation and not, thankfully, run the team based on the opinions of the forums self professed gurus.
IMHO

I was waiting for an apologist response like this. You know nothing about me or what I am about or what I stand for or what I do for a living or what influence I have. You are doing exactly what Chipman is doing. Believing that you know best.

He is playing with fire. This is a small market, very small. You think he can afford to ignore a vocal 15%? You think it's the average fan that has the influence? These very forums are foreshadowing what this will turn into if Chipman continues to play daddy Chipman knows best in the media. There is a definite change in attitude here. I see a lot of names around here that were reluctant to criticize the club who are not so reluctant anymore.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

IMHO

And who could argue with the job he's done? MTS Center has successfully transformed from the loudest venue in hockey to a funeral home. Waiting list cut in half and the ones still left on it have already likely refused at least one ticket offer and they couldn't be bothered to snap up the 5 game mini packs so they go out to the public where they remain unsold. TNSE actually had to pay money to upgrade their IT system on seat exchange so we can sell our tickets for cost because the successful stewardship of Chipman has all but collapsed the secondary ticket market.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

IMHO

Probably drifting already from the intent of the topic but two things. 1. I agree with you, letting public opinion from a group of largely amateur GMs influence a professional organization would signal even deeper trouble within that organization. 2. Ignoring said armchair GMs being wise, does it remain wise if they are merely echoing what more knowledgeable people are saying about the organization? For example, the dislike/lack or respect for Maurice as an NHL coach is awfully widespread and comes from a variety of knowledgeable people beyond the armchair GMs. Is ignoring that widespread opinion wise?

Sometimes good management has their favorites for personal reasons. If the players like a coach because he's likable but not a good coach do you retain the coach? Ultimately the goal is about winning, not making sure your long time buddies (Flaherty, Huddy) are financially stable.

I'm also not entirely convinced that TNSE really actually has the pulse of its own season ticket holders. This is very much a "bright-sided" organization in that they do not want to hear and do not welcome what they consider as negative feedback. As a season ticket holder I've been annoyed by their attitude previously to handling situations and I'm not talking about players, coaching or anything else to do with the on-ice product. I also know a significant number of other season ticket holders and many are considering not renewing the next time it comes around. There are a great many season ticket holders that are able to write-off the price of the games and as such can continue to enjoy the product whether it's good or bad because they're ultimately paying a reduced price. However many cannot do so (write them off) and are in groups like mine which is comprised of just a bunch of average schleps putting their sheckles in together so they can see some games. But many in those groups are starting to seriously question the return they are getting for the money. My P3 seats are ~$10,000 for a pair for 45 games. There's no shortage of available seats and the number of games where I'd be required to pay even full face value is limited now. I really can't even sell many games for season ticket discount price prior to the season starting when optimism is high, let alone after the debacle of the start of this season. Optimism was very high based on the talent but demand remained low. I don't think TNSE is overly concerned about that but they likely should be. We haven't heard anything about renewal rates since the original run went through. I wonder why that is? The evidence is abundant that demand is waning. That is to be expected because it could never remain like season one. But my feeling is that TNSE isn't really prepared for the low renewal rates they might face after another bad season. That's just my opinion though.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The secondary market is the canary in the coal mine, and it died two years ago.

We're now seeing the results.

This year marks the first year my dad isn't in a season ticket group, because it became too hard to get rid of tickets to games no one could make.

Make no mistake, demand has taken a steep nosedive

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I did not get that feeling at all.

Lets face it, we were lucky to get a team back.

Chipman said at the Jets Fan Fest their goal is to win a Stanley Cup.

If you take your customers for granted it will bite you in the ass.
Having a team back is a nice bonus as it makes winter a bit more bearable but it really is out of reach for most fans.
So TNSE would be best not to lose sight of the community perceptions.
Of course the goal is the SC duh !

Reactions: purdy44

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Said it before but TNSE will do nothing until you see patches of empty seats and bring out the you need to support this team or we can't promise continued viability. This is a cash cow for Chipman and his cohorts, they spent big and are trying to recoup as fast as possible and I don't begrudge him that, but sooner rather than later his team needs to win

Re: the bolded, wouldn't the fasted and most efficient way to milk the cash cow be to make the team into perennial playoff contenders? A couple playoff rounds per season would bring in LOTS of money. So I don't think that Chipman is totally complacent and not caring about whether the team is competitive. Surely even the most cynical owner wants a successful team if only to maximize profit?

I'm sure Chipman is genuine when he says the Stanley Cup is the ultimate goal.

Reactions: thereturn

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Every once in a while I go back and watch the video footage of events leading up to the NHL's return to Winnipeg. It helps me keep perspective of how lucky we are to have the Jets back and to have a team in the best league in the world. As long as the players are putting in a solid effort every night, I am satisfied with that for the most part. I really believe True North is trying to assemble a squad that can not only challenge for the Stanley Cup but also win it.

Like most of you, I have not been impressed with the first 2 games but I'm hoping they'll get the kinks out and start playing up to their potential. Hopefully It's just a glitch in an otherwise start to a season that will have many more ups than downs.

I really hope the fans continue to support this team at the gate. If we start to see empty seats popping up and people cancelling their seasons tickets, we could once again risk losing our team. If it happens again it will not just be unlikely that we'll ever get the NHL back, it won't happen plain and simple. There's no one out there that would be willing to pay $ 500 million to bring a team to Winnipeg.

I think the fine folks of Quebec City would gladly change places with us.

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->