Injury Report: Girardi - Swollen Knee (DTD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

What would be the recovery time on that?

It makes no sense that he would play with that considering:

1) McIlrath has been a thousand times better than he has.
2) This is December.

Are they positive it can't be "broken any further"? That sounds incredibly sketchy. All it's going to take is a single shot block and boom, more swelling...

So a slow Girardi gets slower. Great.

Seriously... How much more abuse can this guy take at this point? His knees are starting to break down--we saw what happened to Drury.

They're going to put him in for about 5 games and he's going to be a complete pylon on the ice--there's no way he plays a substantial amount of games this year in this condition... If he hurts it again I would wager he goes to LTIR around the deadline so that we can spend over the cap--assuming we're in playoff position

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Simple google search. I'm not a Dr.

Casts or splints may be used to keep your knee straight. This will keep the broken ends in proper position while they heal. You will not be able to put any weight on your leg until the bone is completely healed. This may take 6 to 8 weeks, and perhaps longer.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Are they positive it can't be "broken any further"? That sounds incredibly sketchy. All it's going to take is a single shot block and boom, more swelling...

Seriously... How much more abuse can this guy take at this point? His knees are starting to break down--we saw what happened to Drury.

They're going to put him in for about 5 games and he's going to be a complete pylon on the ice--there's no way he plays a substantial amount of games this year in this condition... If he hurts it again I would wager he goes to LTIR around the deadline so that we can spend over the cap--assuming we're in playoff position

Your lips to the hockey gods ears.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Simple google search. I'm not a Dr.

He stopped playing on 12/13 which is 2 weeks ago. That puts him at 4-6 weeks remaining recovery time... this years trade deadline is 2/29--64 days away, about 9 weeks... Girardi's going to be recovering for 4-6 of those weeks.......... he's going to be so out of game shape by that time that he may not even be able to get back "into form"...

There's absolutely no reason for him to be playing, period.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Putting aside my disdain for Girardi's ability (or lack thereof) to play hockey, there's absolutely no reason to kill yourself with a ****ed knee in January. Take some time.

But realistically speaking, Girardi playing such a taxing style was going to catch up eventually. Him never missing games (which is certainly admirable) never meant he wasn't hurt/would sustain this run of fortune.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Putting aside my disdain for Girardi's ability (or lack thereof) to play hockey, there's absolutely no reason to kill yourself with a ****ed knee in January. Take some time.

But realistically speaking, Girardi playing such a taxing style was going to catch up eventually. Him never missing games (which is certainly admirable) never meant he wasn't hurt/would sustain this run of fortune.

It was going to catch up eventually... for some reason, rangers management with their fat heads thought it wouldn't happen till he was 36.. LOL... either way, this is huge for this club...

If he gets hurt again in the next few weeks, he goes to LTIR almost without question, and probably for a long time. Once the knees start degenerating from wear and tear, it's tough to play without constant pain/strain, let alone at a competent level.

If he doesn't get hurt, and the team is playing admirable without him, he's not going to be forced back into the lineup--especially if he still needs another 4-6 weeks of recovery, and further considering the trade deadline is 9 weeks away... This team, if they're serious about contending, doesn't have that kind of time considering how they're playing.

If, and when, he doesn't play, he's going to be the immediate candidate for lifting his NMC. A fresh start in a new system, after healing this season with an offseason of training would do wonders to prepare him to play the best he can on a "second wind of his career" of sorts so he can get to a level of competent playing. That's trade bait right there.

He'll most likely end up hurt again, though, which means we're going to carry him on LTIR. No big.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree that if he can get it fully healed sitting out a few weeks that is probably the best avenue to go. The Rangers have the coverage--there's no point not to get him back to full health. No reason to have him limping around in April/May.

Some of the comments here are a bit laughable----'he's going to be so far out of game shape'. Like him or not he's a consummate pro. Nor would the Rangers not keep him on a program to stay in the best shape possible. As Rasp aptly points out--January is not the playoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, he should sit, if he's still injured, but I hope the people that were doubting whether or not he was injured on that Western road trip can now stop with those claims. Those two games should not count towards assessment of his season since he was playing very injured.

Kyrie Irving had a fractured knee cap in the NBA Playoffs last year, if anyone remembers that. Thats the only kneecap injury that I can remember.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

What would be the recovery time on that?

If the kneecap is cracked, how can it not get worse? Did he have Safelite work on it or something? This sounds like a load of BS; like both an excuse to play ... and to suck at it.

P.S. - Unless by "Can't hurt it further"...he means that he needs to be careful. But if that were the case, he would not have been at practice while Dylan chilled with Etem.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If the kneecap is cracked, how can it not get worse? Did he have Safelite work on it or something? This sounds like a load of BS; like both an excuse to play ... and to suck at it.

P.S. - Unless by "Can't hurt it further"...he means that he needs to be careful. But if that were the case, he would not have been at practice while Dylan chilled with Etem.

I'm literally waiting for him to block and shot and have his kneecap shatter.... At this rate its going to happen... There's no way that after a fracture that occurred at LEAST several weeks ago (and was played on), which has had 2 weeks to heal to date, can't be injured further... Unless the fracture was incredibly minor... But given how quickly he's " healed", I'd wager he's going to re-fracture it soon

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I just love all the assessments of the injury while no one here knows the details, much less seen the results of the x-rays/mri's etc. The Rangers organization has some of the best doctors in NYC on call--if anyone felt having Girardi in the lineup could lead to a worse injury, he wouldn't be playing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just love all the assessments of the injury while no one here knows the details, much less seen the results of the x-rays/mri's etc. The Rangers organization has some of the best doctors in NYC on call--if anyone felt having Girardi in the lineup could lead to a worse injury, he wouldn't be playing.

So we'd play with five defenseman?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Unless they rangers are planning on him hurting himself again--im not really sure... Out of conspiracy theories here.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'm literally waiting for him to block and shot and have his kneecap shatter.... At this rate its going to happen... There's no way that after a fracture that occurred at LEAST several weeks ago (and was played on), which has had 2 weeks to heal to date, can't be injured further... Unless the fracture was incredibly minor... But given how quickly he's " healed", I'd wager he's going to re-fracture it soon

Do you have the champagne on ice for this moment?

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
A cracked Knee cap isn't the end of the world. Once it heals he will be fine. I saw Jerry Rice play with a cracked knee cap on his reconstructed knee and it didn't slow him down or end his career. Girardi needs to heal. Once that happens he should bounce back.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
A cracked Knee cap isn't the end of the world. Once it heals he will be fine. I saw Jerry Rice play with a cracked knee cap on his reconstructed knee and it didn't slow him down or end his career. Girardi needs to heal. Once that happens he should bounce back.

You do realize the difference between playing football where you are running routes and blocking 100 MPH pucks with your body are two completely different things, right?

I don't think anyone is debating that he can skate with this as he has obviously already proved that. Blocking shots is a completely different animal. If he gets a shot on the knee, pad or no pad, it's going to likely be bad.

Add onto that, that NFL players play once a week and at best 21 games per year. Girardi is playing 20 minutes a night for 80-100 games a year. There is much more wear on his knees already than Jerry Rice had his whole career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad