Injury Report: Girardi - Swollen Knee (DTD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
If he continues to hurt himself (and he will), he's going to end up on LTIR... chronic knee problems are going to prevent him from playing and living a normal life

Well, if he eventually opts for surgery, he will probably be as "good as new". They do amazing things these days, but it takes making that decision and going through the extended recovery and rehab.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Well, if he eventually opts for surgery, he will probably be as "good as new". They do amazing things these days, but it takes making that decision and going through the extended recovery and rehab.

yeah which means he's going to basically turn into the leg-injury version of Chris Pronger... Say he injures it again this year, then gets surgery in May of 2016... now he needs 8 months of recovery, which puts his return at December--how effective is he going to be at that point?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
friendly reminder that giving players like Dan Girardi term well into their 30's is pretty much never a good idea.

It's also pretty concerning that there's a lot of "let Girardi rest, he's got a lot of miles" ideas and speculation flinging around. The guy is 31 years old. This isn't Dan Boyle who's literally a dinosaur and a year from retirement. This is a guy who has 5 more years on his unholy contract and is being trusted (for reasons I can't comprehend) to play 20+ minutes a night on the top pair. We need to rest him, in December, at age 31?

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Much like the super duper shot blocking Sabre defenseman that signed as a UFA with the Blues and then was out of the league not long after, this was a few years back . The bodies on those type of guys are shell shocked and can's handle any more abuse....I can't remember the player...but it is shaping up much the same for Girardi or so it looks like .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot of this commentary on Girardi's injury and how it will impact his future is purely speculative and at least in some cases it's all about personal agenda. I understand it can be boring not having a lot of subject matter to talk about. However not being a doctor or surgeon myself I prefer not to speculate about Girardi's healing or recovery prognosis. If someone actually has expertise on the nature of knee issues--let them state what it is and then maybe we'd have something that sounded more credible instead of the usual antagonistic doomsday scenarios from people who just don't like a certain player.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Of course it's all speculation, and some of it highly subjective, but then again this is a discussion on Hockey's Future, a website built for people to come together to speculate. Hahaha. Seems within reasonable bounds.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
A lot of this commentary on Girardi's injury and how it will impact his future is purely speculative and at least in some cases it's all about personal agenda. I understand it can be boring not having a lot of subject matter to talk about. However not being a doctor or surgeon myself I prefer not to speculate about Girardi's healing or recovery prognosis. If someone actually has expertise on the nature of knee issues--let them state what it is and then maybe we'd have something that sounded more credible instead of the usual antagonistic doomsday scenarios from people who just don't like a certain player.

AV made a comment about Girardi being as brand new as that old body can be.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
AV made a comment about Girardi being as brand new as that old body can be.

If the thinking is he can play without making it worse I guess it's one thing. IMO--if he'd be better off taking a few weeks if it meant getting back to 100% or thereabouts we have the coverage--Dylan has proved he can more than just play--he's been looking really good. Will Girardi's knee heal itself--playing or not playing? There are some variables here--and it's not as if posters here know exactly what the variables are. The Rangers don't always let a lot of information out in respect to injuries--sometimes just the expected lengths for such and such an injury.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Well...the test is going to happen . If he fails it after this rest he has had...then they likely will do something regarding his injury and playing status . I guess the onus is now on Dan Girardi to step up and play like he once did or I tend to think the boos will rain down on him at MSG and he would be done...or at least until the playoffs . :)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Wear and tear!
If he were to go on LTIR at some point and never play again, I believe we can spend up to his cap hit, correct?

The Rangers would be allowed to exceed the upper limit by $5.5M placing Girardi on long term IR. It would have to be a Mike Rathje situation where he couldn't play anymore. The Flyers signed him to a 5 year contract but only played 18 games in the second year and never played again. Back and hip problems. Rathje collected every penny. Derian Hatcher finished his career on long term IR. Chris Pronger.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
The Rangers would be allowed to exceed the upper limit by $5.5M placing Girardi on long term IR. It would have to be a Mike Rathje situation where he couldn't play anymore. The Flyers signed him to a 5 year contract but only played 18 games in the second year and never played again. Back and hip problems. Rathje collected every penny. Derian Hatcher finished his career on long term IR. Chris Pronger.

Pronger is the guy I was thinking about.
I could easily see the Rangers going this route with Girardi, if he falters in his return to the lineup. I think he has until the end of the year (at most) to prove he can still play, or they will "find" a long term injury to send him to retirement this summer. Win win situation for everyone!
I'm certain team doctors are already working on this long term injury, to provide Bettman with!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
girardi should not be playing until he is 100%, i don't care if he can't make it worse. you are now putting in a slightly less injured girardi so you can sit mcilrath who has arguably been our best dman recently. it makes zero sense. if other guys were hurt and we needed girardi to tough thru it that would be one thing. but we can put together a complete 6 man unit without him

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

It's actually exhausting to read. The board goes like this. Lundvist is God, everyone else sucks, Girardi is the Devil.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was more than fine. I thought he was one of our better players. I only remember one mistake with his passing in a game where our defenseman were not passing the puck very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->