Injury Report: Giordano and Stempniak are broken

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
He seems like more of the same as SOB and Breen needing limited minutes. We need someone who can eat 20 minutes a night and give Wideman and Russell a break on pk. Ideally Grossmann but I thin the Flyers like him to much.

Big minute guy? Don't forget that Brian Burke is well experienced in acquiring Dion Phaneuf for four pieces of poo.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yea that hit ruined that season for him.

Look back at it if it wasn't for GlenX and Jokinen playing well under Sutter I don't think we would have had a single player playing their best.

Nope. And at the polar opposite, Hartley is getting the most out of the majority of our players, minus perhaps one or two. I honestly didn't like Sutter from day 1 just because the "interview process" was really just hooking a brutha up with a job

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Nope. And at the polar opposite, Hartley is getting the most out of the majority of our players, minus perhaps one or two. I honestly didn't like Sutter from day 1 just because the "interview process" was really just hooking a brutha up with a job

:laugh: That is the best explanation.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The organization had no structure or direction when Sutter began to coach for us, I doubt any coach could of been successful under those circumstances. B. Sutter is a good coach without question (ask the Rebels, NJ and team Canada), but with that said I think Hartley is arguably the best coach the Flames have ever had.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The organization had no structure or direction when Sutter began to coach for us, I doubt any coach could of been successful under those circumstances. B. Sutter is a good coach without question (ask the Rebels, NJ and team Canada), but with that said I think Hartley is arguably the best coach the Flames have ever had.

Daryl Sutter I'll give credit to. He started as GM/Coach with almost no other resources and still managed to make the Flames a respectable club.

In hindsight, I believe his trades before he left was needed for this organization to move forward. It was needed so that ownership could realize there is a cost to winning in a cap world. It was needed so that ownership could realize that return on investment requires spending in areas outside of the ice. The on-ice product happens through scouts, coaching and assistant GMs just as much as it does on player personnel.

Brent, however, may have won things before Calgary. But he hasn't been working since...

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

He had at least as good if not better teams than Dutter, Playfair, Keenan and got much less out of them. He was a terrible fit, he may have been a good Junior coach but he was a poor Calgary Flame coach.

His disregard for player styles is easily his weakness he can only coach his type of players. Look at Boston they use Chara's size to their advantage on the pp as a screen now that they have Krug and Iggy that can blast it but in Calgary all Sutter ever tried was to get Jbo to use his slapshot (probably his biggest weakness) instead of his hockey IQ and play making ability. He just couldn't evaluate what he had.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I disagree the cost for some of the defense really won't be that high especially Fayne when he is a UFA and they are looking to move a defenseman to bring Gelina back up.

We moved mid picks for Colborne, TJ, Russell to fill need I don't see how moving either Horak or a couple of mid picks that can be regained later is a bad move to help the team. Simply allowing our poor defense to remain this way is the same as tanking to me. We know that there is a problem and the cost should be relatively cheap to fix it, by simply doing nothing is terrible management.

We want to help Ramo and Berra (if he gets called up) adjust to NA and be #1 goalies then they are going to need some defenseman to play in front of them. The amount of love for later picks and a easily replaceable prospect (Horak) amazes me.

I'd like for us to keep our later round picks, but I'm in complete agreement on the easily replaceable prospects. Guys like Horak, Nemisz, Byron ect could be moved for right now help easily. I'd like for us to keep our later picks with the mystery element though. We've drafted useful players with those picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->