Injury Report: Giordano and Stempniak are broken

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well. I don't even know what to say. I guess the Defense is going to have to step up and forwards as well. Horak may get a chance now. This will be interesting for sure.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I would atleast consider Liles from Toronto if the Leafs toss in an asset. 6-8 weeks is 20-30 games, leaving us with:

Russell - Wideman
Brodie - Butler
Smith - SOB

Breen is injured (and not that great). Cundari and Sieloff are injured (and Sieloff has played a whopping two pro games). Ramage and Wotherspoon are having a bit of a tough go of it in the AHL (Wotherspoon was a heathy scratch last game). YIKES!!!!

Breen/Cundari aren't an improvement on Butler, Smith, SOB, and the other guys are way too inexperienced. We needed another steady player on the backend anyway, so it's not like it would be a knee-jerk reaction to go out and acquire a defenseman.

EDIT: I guess there's Billins as well, but he's not a very appealing option either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would atleast consider Liles from Toronto if the Leafs toss in an asset. 6-8 weeks is 20-30 games, leaving us with:

Russell - Wideman
Brodie - Butler
Smith - SOB

Breen is inured (and not very good). Cundari and Sieloff are injured (and Sieloff has played a whopping two pro games). Ramage and Wotherspoon are having a bit of a tough go of it in the AHL (Wotherspoon was a heathy scratch last game). YIKES!!!!

Breen/Cundari aren't an improvement on Butler, Smith, SOB, and the other guys are way too inexperienced. We needed another steady player on the backend anyway, so it's not like it would be a knee-jerk reaction to go out and acquire a defenseman.
Breen is better than you give him credit for. Seeing him play limited minutes for 2 games doesn't give you any idea what he brings.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think its time we give a rookie a chance to play as I don't think that top 4 can continue to cover for Breen and SOB getting less than 10 minutes a night.

TylerSVT*

I want this team to make the playoffs and prove HF wrong! Ian White is an improvement on this defense. Our Defense is worse than a pile of ****!

Im all for the team playing well, but i think you are going to have to accept that we are going to be a terrible team this year.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Breen is better than you give him credit for. Seeing him play limited minutes for 2 games doesn't give you any idea what he brings.

I understand his mobility looked good in the AHL, but he is completely exposed at the NHL level. I'm sure Hartley understands his capabilities and gave him ice time accordingly (same deal goes for Smith and SOB). He completely rode Wideman, Brodie, Russell and Butler on Saturday and he can't keep doing that for the next two months. Even if you think Breen is better than what he showed, he's not any better than Smith or SOB. We need a guy that can chew up 17-20 minutes nightly without being a liability, and that guy isn't Breen.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows

Russell - Wideman
Brodie - Butler
Smith - SOB

Breen is injured (and not that great). Cundari and Sieloff are injured (and Sieloff has played a whopping two pro games). Ramage and Wotherspoon are having a bit of a tough go of it in the AHL (Wotherspoon was a heathy scratch last game). YIKES!!!!

EDIT: I guess there's Billins as well, but he's not a very appealing option either.

Yikes. Right now they still have 6 NHL calibre (sort of) D. So we just sit back and keep our fingers crossed that no more go down. 1st injury brings up Billins. 2nd injury puts the Flames in a real tough spot. No more help on the farm. You would have to make a trade or go the emergency call up route. Kanzig? Kulak? Roy? Culkin? Yuck.

Edit- Also, why the heck did the Flames let Hannan go? He would be great to have right now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is terrible news, like really awful. I would be signing White for sure, I've always his attitude and the heart he plays with. He would be a good guy to have around the kids.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Im all for the team playing well, but i think you are going to have to accept that we are going to be a terrible team this year.

Terrible? 5-4-2 our best start in years and we have to accept we are terrible? **** that ****, on paper we look real bad but on paper you don't take into account heart and soul as well as coaching.

I don't care how this team looks on paper this is easily the best team we have had in years simply due to the fact that they are willing to out work a team. In the past if we were down by a 2 goals we would give up this team won't.

I'm tired of hearing that we have to accept that we are bad, because up until now we simply haven't been.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yikes. Right now they still have 6 NHL calibre (sort of) D. So we just sit back and keep our fingers crossed that no more go down. 1st injury brings up Billins. 2nd injury puts the Flames in a real tough spot. No more help on the farm. You would have to make a trade or go the emergency call up route. Kanzig? Kulak? Roy? Culkin? Yuck.

Edit- Also, why the heck did the Flames let Hannan go? He would be great to have right now.

Really? He is the #7 defenseman on one of the best team in the league when he was on Nashville he got exposed a lot. He isn't any better than Butler (maybe not even SOB).

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Agreed with Huds. The tank shouldn't start until the deadline (and only if we're really out of it). This is a ridiculously tough division/conference, but no way should we be giving up 1 month in, even if Gio is out for 2 months. If you can come up with a solution to our woeful defense without setting us back too much asset-wise, you have to do it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'd look to being in Fayne from NJ they need some offense and we have a lot of forwards we can move.

Fayne for Horak?

Not ideal admittedly but he can play 20 minutes a night of solid defensive hockey and would be a good partner for Brodie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad