Recalled/Assigned: Gillies up, Rittich down

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Haven't been impressed by any of the Flames young goaltenders. Maybe I'm just jaded that way.

Parsons is the last great hope. A Smith Parsons combo next year would at least be fun to watch.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Haven't been impressed by any of the Flames young goaltenders. Maybe I'm just jaded that way.

Parsons is the last great hope. A Smith Parsons combo next year would at least be fun to watch.

Parsons doesn't seem nearly ready for this step. Gillies and Rittich are still both young enough that they can improve with more experience at the NHL level. It's not like a guy's career should ever be defined by his first cup of coffee.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Despite how it seems, we really barely saw any of Rittich this year - 21 games is nothing, even for a goalie. All these guys are still wild cards.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Parsons has been poor in the ECHL and outright bad in the AHL, do you honestly think he could be ready for the NHL?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Parsons doesn't seem nearly ready for this step. Gillies and Rittich are still both young enough that they can improve with more experience at the NHL level. It's not like a guy's career should ever be defined by his first cup of coffee.

The hard truth is it often is. Especially with goaltenders. Where's Joni Ortio? Leland Irving? Karri Ramo? Reto Berra? Neither Gillies or Rittich have a contract after this year.

I don't want to see them move assets or sign another UFA for the position. I would have the backup position up for grabs in training camp and give it to whoever performs the best. Maybe bring in a PTO. I would have that for a lot of bottom 6 positions, the Flames need to find out what they have in their system at this level.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Parsons has been poor in the ECHL and outright bad in the AHL, do you honestly think he could be ready for the NHL?

Doesn't say that's how I would do it does it? Just that it'd be fun to watch. You can't claim to know how he would perform. If he has to be an understudy I think Smith would be a good mentor. I like when goalies are gamers, and Smith while being a pretty average starter, is certainly that.

Face the facts, the Flames goaltending situation(like usual) isn't as solid as people were making it out to be. Especially when it stands on a 35 year old's groin.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The hard truth is it often is. Especially with goaltenders. Where's Joni Ortio? Leland Irving? Karri Ramo? Reto Berra? Neither Gillies or Rittich have a contract after this year.

I don't want to see them move assets or sign another UFA for the position. I would have the backup position up for grabs in training camp and give it to whoever performs the best. Maybe bring in a PTO. I would have that for a lot of bottom 6 positions, the Flames need to find out what they have in their system at this level.

Well, yes. If you include all the goalies from an organization that has failed to produce good goalies in a long time, then all of the examples are going to be bad. Why stop there, though? Your analysis of Flames goalies stops one short of a guy who first came up with the Sharks and had a .902 SV% in 5 starts.

Then he was a backup for two seasons and had SV%s of .915 and .879 in those two seasons. Yes, goalies can definitely improve at the NHL level. No, the career trajectories of prior Flames goalies doesn't have any bearing at all on what these two guys will do.

And what's your point about Gillies and Rittich not having a contract? They're RFAs, so that's perfectly normal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Doesn't say that's how I would do it does it? Just that it'd be fun to watch. You can't claim to know how he would perform. If he has to be an understudy I think Smith would be a good mentor. I like when goalies are gamers, and Smith while being a pretty average starter, is certainly that.

Face the facts, the Flames goaltending situation(like usual) isn't as solid as people were making it out to be. Especially when it stands on a 35 year old's groin.
I'm not sure how watching a rookie shelled would be entertaining. Everyone knows goalies can be hit or miss, and while some might be playing up how good our goaltending is, you are very clearing doing the opposite and are clearly extremely jaded on the subject. You seem willing to dismiss guys because why? Because they haven't become stars in 2 professional seasons?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's also well worth noting that the Flames did not deem Gillies nor Rittich to be ready for the NHL this season. The plan wasn't for them to have their break-through this year, but it was done out of necessity due to the poor play from Eddie Lack. When you look at most goalies who did come up and be stars, they were given plenty of time in the AHL to work out the kinks. When goalies have to come up by necessity, you get examples like Malcolm Subban's first few NHL games. And just like Malcolm Subban, that's not the be all and end all.

Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's also well worth noting that the Flames did not deem Gillies nor Rittich to be ready for the NHL this season. The plan wasn't for them to have their break-through this year, but it was done out of necessity due to the poor play from Eddie Lack. When you look at most goalies who did come up and be stars, they were given plenty of time in the AHL to work out the kinks. When goalies have to come up by necessity, you get examples like Malcolm Subban's first few NHL games. And just like Malcolm Subban, that's not the be all and end all.
Exactly. Both Gillies and Rittich are essentially 2nd year pros this year and while they weren't what we wanted when Smith was injured, they each showed flashes and in your first real stretches in the NHL, that is all you can truly ask for.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Well, yes. If you include all the goalies from an organization that has failed to produce good goalies in a long time, then all of the examples are going to be bad. Why stop there, though? Your analysis of Flames goalies stops one short of a guy who first came up with the Sharks and had a .902 SV% in 5 starts.

Then he was a backup for two seasons and had SV%s of .915 and .879 in those two seasons. Yes, goalies can definitely improve at the NHL level. No, the career trajectories of prior Flames goalies doesn't have any bearing at all on what these two guys will do.

And what's your point about Gillies and Rittich not having a contract? They're RFAs, so that's perfectly normal.

Just that I named that many from one organization in the last 5 years should give you a clue. The list of goalies that have under 40 career GP is absolutely massive. By the nature of the position opportunity is much more limited, and the competition much greater.

Both these guys had a run at being a starter in the NHL this year. If you really think both will be getting another one then maybe you're a kinder gentler soul than I am.

I'm not sure how watching a rookie shelled would be entertaining. Everyone knows goalies can be hit or miss, and while some might be playing up how good our goaltending is, you are very clearing doing the opposite and are clearly extremely jaded on the subject. You seem willing to dismiss guys because why? Because they haven't become stars in 2 professional seasons?

I did admit that much :laugh:. Happens when you see shoddy goaltending down the stretch for the umpteenth year in a row. I said I wasn't impressed because I wasn't, I saw some potential and some good games but like the rest of the team more mental weakness. Not enough consistency. I like what the Flames are starting to value in the position(big and athletic), but if there's one position to demand excellence in it's that one. Especially in this day and age.

I would welcome them both back for training camp, but if they can't get the job done then cut ties and try to trade one.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think Rittich is fine as a back-up. He doesn't show anything that indicates he will be a good option to take over for Smith after next year as a starter but as a back-up I think he is fine.

Gillies is pretty terrifying to have back there. He lets in so many weak goals that it seems to be more of an issue than bad luck. If there is any sort of decent offer for him I would take it and run otherwise keep him down in the AHL and hope by some miracle he can improve. But another guy that doesn't really seem like he will be an option to take over for Smith.

Still a year away but it looks like we will be struggling to find a starting goalie again next offseason when Smith's deal is done, and no I do not think that we should re-sign Smith.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't see what all the anxiety about our goaltending is about. If we have the opportunity to move one of Gillies or Rittich for tangible assets, then sure, let's do it. But there's no need for people to flip shit because each one merely met expectations this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad