Gill replaces Schneider on Team USA - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- USA Hockey today announced that Boston Bruins defenceman Hal Gill will replace Detroit Red Wings blueliner Mathieu Schneider on Team USA's roster for the World Cup of Hockey.
Click link for full article

TSN Link

The announcement was made by Team USA General Manager Larry Pleau. "Mathieu has informed us that, due to his unsettled contract situation, he has regretfully withdrawn from competing in the World Cup of Hockey," said Pleau. "We are disappointed that he will be unable to participate, but at the same time excited to add Hal's unique skills, physical presence on defense and recent international experience to our lineup."

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Not exactly like Blake withdrawing from Canada, but close. Hal Gill? Yikes. I would have rather had Paul Mara. Stupid contract situations!!!!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Oh me Hall Gill on the US World Cup roster. I really hope not many more drop out. I hope Hal is in the press box and nothing more.

Gill gets a bad name on these boards, but he seems to be pretty highly regarded in NHL circles, and he did play well at the World Championships, so it's not really a surprise he was named. Pleau et al did say players that played at the Worlds would get serious consideration for the World Cup team, so at least they're sticking to their word.

Last edited:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Gill gets a bad name on these boards, but he seems to pretty highly regarded in NHL circles, and he did play well at the World Championships, so it's not really a surprise he was named. Pleau et al did say players that played at the Worlds would get serious consideration for the World Cup team, so at least they're sticking to their word.
Fair point there as well, nothing wrong with rewarding those who go to the World's. Gill was not very good against Montreal in the playoffs so i think its a bit of a stretch for him to handle some of the quickest , smartest players in the World. He'll need to be quicker in all aspects of his game.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hal Gil? Ouch. That's gotta hurt for team USA. If he wasnt 6'7" I'm not sure he'd even be considered. USA and Russia seem to looking worse and worse all the time. Now I'm starting to think that Slovakia might be the next best team after Canada in that pool. Its not a stretch anymore. USA is hurting a lot as it is, and to throw Hal Gil in there makes it worse, no offence to him. Guys like Martin St. Louis will just fly by him on the wing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:
Hal Gil? Ouch. That's gotta hurt for team USA. If he wasnt 6'7" I'm not sure he'd even be considered. USA and Russia seem to looking worse and worse all the time. Now I'm starting to think that Slovakia might be the next best team after Canada in that pool. Its not a stretch anymore. USA is hurting a lot as it is, and to throw Hal Gil in there makes it worse, no offence to him. Guys like Martin St. Louis will just fly by him on the wing.

It's a good thing your opinion carries no weight with those that count where the World Cup is concerned. We get it, you're a fan of Canada, and every other team pales in comparison. The U.S. is not "hurting as is", and will be just fine.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Fair point there as well, nothing wrong with rewarding those who go to the World's. Gill was not very good against Montreal in the playoffs so i think its a bit of a stretch for him to handle some of the quickest , smartest players in the World. He'll need to be quicker in all aspects of his game.

Boston as a whole wasn't very good against Montreal. As for Gill, he won't be paired up against the small quick players, he'll be matched up against the bigger, stronger types where he's more effective.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I dont mean to sound like a vagina, but I honostly haven't heard of this Hal Gill guy. Name sounds slightly familiar, probably because I may have heard it once or......yeah, once.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
Canadian_man said:
I dont mean to sound like a vagina, but I honostly haven't heard of this Hal Gill guy. Name sounds slightly familiar, probably because I may have heard it once or......yeah, once.
:lol

best post ever

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Enoch said:
Money over country. :cry:

That's part of it. Another part might be that Schnieder might be making a statement that getting a CBA done might be a little more important than the World Cup. I bet if a CBA were done, some other players would not have pulled out.

That and maybe his family unsettled situation about where they're going to be next year might be a little more important.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
BruinsGirl said:
:amazed: I hope you are joking...
i'm really not. hal gill is the worst thing that could have happened to the US's chances. it's like conceding defeat

i don't get it :dunno: :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad