Gilbert Perreault comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Only one point missing in this thread which has me wistfully remembering my introduction to hockey watching a then-young Bert dangle. That point -- he was a big player for his day. At a touch over 6' and nearly 200 lbs, he was noticably bigger than many players of his day. He was a good sized man, moving at high speed AND agile enough to avoid most mid-ice collisions, making him difficult to stop.

As for the breakup of the French Connection, don't forget that Bowman dealt Robert first (for Van Boxmeer).

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Chainshot said:
Only one point missing in this thread which has me wistfully remembering my introduction to hockey watching a then-young Bert dangle. That point -- he was a big player for his day. At a touch over 6' and nearly 200 lbs, he was noticably bigger than many players of his day. He was a good sized man, moving at high speed AND agile enough to avoid most mid-ice collisions, making him difficult to stop.

As for the breakup of the French Connection, don't forget that Bowman dealt Robert first (for Van Boxmeer).

Robert was let go for a different, off ice problem. Also well known in Buffalo.

Buffalo of the late 70s, early 80s was a very small, tight knit community. The players were big celebrities and people recognized them everywhere about town. There could be no privacy. Scotty Bowman could not handle some of the off-ice antics of Robert, Gare and a few others. Voila, trade bait.

BTW, Scotty took a top 3 team when he arrived in Buffalo and promised a dynasty. By the time he was sent packing, the Sabres were at the bottom--for years to come.

I'll never forget when he traded Jim Schoenfeld, who was the heart and soul of the club (and the other adopted son). Schoenfeld was crying at his press conference, as was the press corps and the fans. The city turned on Scotty and the franchise never recovered, until years later. It was the start of a dark era for the club and I believe a black eye on Scotty's career.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
dunwoody_joe said:
Robert was let go for a different, off ice problem. Also well known in Buffalo.

Buffalo of the late 70s, early 80s was a very small, tight knit community. The players were big celebrities and people recognized them everywhere about town. There could be no privacy. Scotty Bowman could not handle some of the off-ice antics of Robert, Gare and a few others. Voila, trade bait.

BTW, Scotty took a top 3 team when he arrived in Buffalo and promised a dynasty. By the time he was sent packing, the Sabres were at the bottom--for years to come.

I'll never forget when he traded Jim Schoenfeld, who was the heart and soul of the club (and the other adopted son). Schoenfeld was crying at his press conference, as was the press corps and the fans. The city turned on Scotty and the franchise never recovered, until years later. It was the start of a dark era for the club and I believe a black eye on Scotty's career.

Trust me, I know what Bowman did here and some of the rumors regarding off-ice activities of players. I loath Bowman to this day for ruining a team I cared deeply for. His one failure in his entire career was being given the reigns as a GM. I view Keenan in a similar light -- the guy is a great coach but does not excel in a situation when he has no one to check his authority.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Perreault, despite being on the list of the Top 50 of all time is still often forgotten about by many. Mainly because he never won a Cup in his career. Unlike Clarke or Lafleur who won multiple Cups. He was only in the Cup finals once in '75 and it always seemed that Perreault and the Sabres always seemed to lose to teams that eventually made the Cup finals or even won the Cup.

But he was such a fluid skater and a joy to watch. Look at the one goal he got in the '72 Summit series in the 4th game in Vancouver. A dazzling end to end rush that is often forgotten. Why they never let him play more against the Russians is anybody's guess.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Perreault was a Russian nightmare. I think he played the Russians a couple of times but the one I remember best was in Buffalo Jan 4, 1976. Buffalo 12--Soviet Wings 6. An all time butt whipping.

Perreault was a demon that night. He was flying up and down the ice and the Soviets didn't have a clue. Perreault only scored 1 and only had 2 assists but he simply opened the ice for everyone else. He was a man amongst boys.

I tell you the Aud was rocking that night. It was the only game in the '76 Super Series that an NHL team won and you would have thought the Sabres had won the Stanley Cup. Perreault was admired as a hockey God by Soviets after that game.

I really think the Sabres were built to play that fast paced, possession game that the Soviets liked. They played the classic, old Canadian style--fast, open, tough (but clean) hitting--the anti-Flyers game, if you know what I mean. I am certain the Sabres could have beaten the Central Red Army team, if given the chance.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
by numbers...

Gil Perreault ~ Pierre Turgeon

Seasons: 17 - 17
HT: 600 - 601
WT: 200 - 205
POS: C - C

TOTAL ADJ. GAMES: 1228 - 1256

TOTAL ADJ. GOALS:431 - 502 (per 82 games 29 - 33)
Best Season (Goals):#6 - #5

TOTAL ADJ. ASSIST:697 - 785 (per 82 games 47 - 51)
Best Season (Assists):#3 - #5

TOTAL ADJ. POINTS:1128 - 1287 (per 82 games 75 - 84)
Best Season (PTS):#3 - #5

TOTAL ADJ. PIMS:488 - 423 (per 82 games 33 - 28)

TOTAL ADJ. PO GAMES:109 - 104
TOTAL ADJ. PO GOALS:33 - 34
TOTAL ADJ. PO ASSIST:67 - 61
TOTAL ADJ. PO POINTS:100 - 95
TOTAL ADJ. PO PIMS:50 - 32

PP Goals:134 - 182
SH Goals: 8 - 10
GWG: 81 - 85
GTG: 16 - 10
Shots: 3079 - 3029
Shots%: 16,66% - 16,38%

"HHOF Monitor" Points: 1097 - 889 (per Season:65 - 52)

Cups: 0 - 0 :)

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

Big Phil said:
Perreault, despite being on the list of the Top 50 of all time is still often forgotten about by many. Mainly because he never won a Cup in his career. Unlike Clarke or Lafleur who won multiple Cups. He was only in the Cup finals once in '75 and it always seemed that Perreault and the Sabres always seemed to lose to teams that eventually made the Cup finals or even won the Cup.

But he was such a fluid skater and a joy to watch. Look at the one goal he got in the '72 Summit series in the 4th game in Vancouver. A dazzling end to end rush that is often forgotten. Why they never let him play more against the Russians is anybody's guess.

Who's top 50 list is he on? He is not even on my to 100 list - he is closer to #150.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ogopogo said:
Who's top 50 list is he on? He is not even on my to 100 list - he is closer to #150.

In 1997 The Hockey News did a list of Top 50 players of all time. Perreault was #49.

And the ridiculous comparison of Turgeon vs. Perreault is asinine. Turgeon couldnt carry Perreault's jock strap.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Big Phil said:
In 1997 The Hockey News did a list of Top 50 players of all time. Perreault was #49.

And the ridiculous comparison of Turgeon vs. Perreault is asinine. Turgeon couldnt carry Perreault's jock strap.

Completely asinine. I won't even engage in a retort.

Suffice to say, that anyone who ever saw the two play would rather have Perreault. Turgeon is not even the second best Sabre center of all-time.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Gilbert should be on any hockey fan's top 15 list, the guy was INCREDIBLE! He was like a slower, smarter Pavel Bure.....or a slightly slower, smarter Mike Modano. He could stickhandle around anyone, was a passer second only to Gretzky (and ahead of Lemieux), and STILL scored over 520 goals in a mainly defensive period of hockey (the horrible Flyer's-led mid to late 70's, until Bossy & Gretzky saved the day). Even after he gained 25 pounds and got slower, he was still amazing to watch. If Lecavalier had a lot of Denis Savard in him, I'd say that was close. But he doesn't, so....

Badger Bob

dunwoody_joe said:
Completely asinine. I won't even engage in a retort.

Suffice to say, that anyone who ever saw the two play would rather have Perreault. Turgeon is not even the second best Sabre center of all-time.

You're right, it is totally asinine, but the fact of the matter is that Turgeon was annoined the heir apparent to Perrault. As ridiculous as it sounds now, there was serious thought to building a winning team around Turgeon, Housley and Andreychuk (who would later get the last laugh). When, he was drafted, Turgeon was considered the consensus #1. The #2 looks a lot better with the benefit of hindsight - Brendan Shanahan.

-----

None of the current players really compare with Perreault, since the nature of the game changed so much since his era. When Perreault blew past the defensemen, it time to get on your feet. Those types of breakaways rarely occur in this day and age.

Maybe the best comparison would be with one of his peers. How about Guy Lafleur? They both came from the Quebec League, immediate greatness was expected but it took a period of time for their respective potential to be fulfilled, generated excitement practically every time they stepped onto the ice and have served as a excellent hockey ambassodors.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Perreault is very underrated. C'mon people, he scored 500 goals

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Perrault was a force with the puck, and Forsberg is about the closest moden comparison.He skated with a wide stance, and his thighs pumped with a lot of power, and he was an intimidating presence on the ice.Larry Robinson says that he was the most feared player he ever faced, as he had the fast hands, and the quick feet, to go right through a team.

He was a great,great player, and exciting as hell to watch.When the Sabres came to the Forum, the French Connection used to get bigger cheers than the Habs. :biglaugh:

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
V-2 Schneider said:
Perrault was a force with the puck, and Forsberg is about the closest moden comparison.He skated with a wide stance, and his thighs pumped with a lot of power, and he was an intimidating presence on the ice.Larry Robinson says that he was the most feared player he ever faced, as he had the fast hands, and the quick feet, to go right through a team.

He was a great,great player, and exciting as hell to watch.When the Sabres came to the Forum, the French Connection used to get bigger cheers than the Habs. :biglaugh:

Yes, Forsberg is a good comparison; stickhandling, ability to change the skating rhythm, passing skills...

If only Perreault had managed to lead Buffalo to Stanley Cup... :(

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Perrault is one of the best I ever saw. Comparable to Beliveau & Lafleur. If he had played in Montreal he would have won a lot of cups and been an icon. Loved watching him & Bobby Hull on a line in the 76 Canada cup until Perrault got injured.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
murray said:
Perrault is one of the best I ever saw. Comparable to Beliveau & Lafleur. If he had played in Montreal he would have won a lot of cups and been an icon. Loved watching him & Bobby Hull on a line in the 76 Canada cup until Perrault got injured.

I always thought Perrault was superior to both Lafleur and Beliveau when it came to puck handling. He was amazing and I have never seen his match in that respect since.

Olaf Fub

Aug 23, 2005
Buffalo, NY
dunwoody_joe said:
Robert was let go for a different, off ice problem. Also well known in Buffalo....

Robert was getting old and Scotty traded him while he still had some value. He only played 2-3 more years after he went to the Rockies. It's not like he dumped him to get rid of him. Van Boxmeer had a couple of good years with us.

Martin probably would have played for the Sabres for a least a few more years, if he hadn't screwed up his knee. Bowman traded him as damaged goods. Rico's beef with Scotty has always been how his injury was handled. He feels Scotty shorten his career.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy your conspiracy rumors.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Easily the most exciting Canadian player in the Summit Series. Kharlamov was a kinda similar player for the Russians. In fact, they're both among the 5 most entertaining players I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for amazing stickhandlers and Perreault definitely was one.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
dunwoody_joe said:
I tell you the Aud was rocking that night. It was the only game in the '76 Super Series that an NHL team won and you would have thought the Sabres had won the Stanley Cup. Perreault was admired as a hockey God by Soviets after that game.

Hey, I remember that night. The Russians were mesmerized by Perreault. I vaguely remember a quote from the Russian coach, gushing about the "bow-legged Canadian".

There were only 2 players, who could frighten the other team while standing behind THEIR OWN NET: Orr and Perreault. Both were good for one coast-to-coast per game.

Black mark was when he bailed on Team Canada '72.

He was at his best in Canada Cup '81. Best player in the world for that brief moment, but busted his leg before the finals, and Canada got smoked.

I really think Jagr is the best comparison. Maybe a combo of JJ and Denis Savard. JJ's bigger, and probably more dangerous in close; but nobody could dangle like Perreault. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, looked at the puck.

He was cool man :yo:

Rather Gingerly 1*

Fake Plastic Sabre said:
If Perreault had been born a year or two earlier and played for Montreal, he'd be named among the top 20 players of all-time, not just the top 50. He'd be another icon in Montreal.

Definitely....he would have had all those great players around him. Been a big benefit to learn and play with the likes of Beliveau, Mahovlich, Cournoyer, Lafleur, Lemaire, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->