Gilbert Brule's potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There is allot of talk about who should be picked first Johnston or Brule.

I´ve never seen Brule play so I was wondering how much of potential he really have?

If Crosby wasn´t around and Brule would be the first player picked, how would he compare with other 1st overall picks and even top 3 drafted players the last five years?

Is he better at 17-18 then David Legwand was at the same age?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Well I just saw him for the 2nd time last night against the Hitmen. And once again he underwhelmed.

Now I know it's only two games, and obviously he's shown more at other times but I really didn't see a player worthy of a #2 overall pick unless this is a weak draft year. Part of the reason he may have struggled against the Hitmen is beause they are a very large, strong team. Brule is average to below average in size and seemed to be neutralized by the bigger Hitmen players. He took a stupid penalty in the 3rd in a close game punching one of the Hitmen in the face twice in the offensive zone. He displayed an NHL calibre shot but that was the only part of his skill set that really stood out and wowed me.

Maybe he played two of his worst games against the Hitmen. Or maybe CSS's evaluation of him (6th in North America) is a lot more bang on then the hype he gets around here. I'd love to see him more to get a better feel for him but that was the last time I'll see the Giants this season. But he certainly hasn't looked as good as Phaneuf, Getzlaf or Ladd in their respective draft years. If I were drafting based on those two games there's no way I'd take him in the top 3. Certainly there's a HUGE gap between he and Crosby, it's not even close.

And I don't think it's Johnson vs Brule for the #2 as many on this board have boiled it down to. There's certainly several other names that could be under consideration.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Well I just saw him for the 2nd time last night against the Hitmen. And once again he underwhelmed.

Now I know it's only two games, and obviously he's shown more at other times but I really didn't see a player worthy of a #2 overall pick unless this is a weak draft year. Part of the reason he may have struggled against the Hitmen is beause they are a very large, strong team. Brule is average to below average in size and seemed to be neutralized by the bigger Hitmen players. He took a stupid penalty in the 3rd in a close game punching one of the Hitmen in the face twice in the offensive zone. He displayed an NHL calibre shot but that was the only part of his skill set that really stood out and wowed me.

Maybe he played two of his worst games against the Hitmen. Or maybe CSS's evaluation of him (6th in North America) is a lot more bang on then the hype he gets around here. I'd love to see him more to get a better feel for him but that was the last time I'll see the Giants this season. But he certainly hasn't looked as good as Phaneuf, Getzlaf or Ladd in their respective draft years. If I were drafting based on those two games there's no way I'd take him in the top 3. Certainly there's a HUGE gap between he and Crosby, it's not even close.

And I don't think it's Johnson vs Brule for the #2 as many on this board have boiled it down to. There's certainly several other names that could be under consideration.

Couple of things...

The Giants are in the middle of a grinding 6 game road trip, and that game against the Hitmen was the 3 of 4. You saw Brule on an off game, so what.

Brule is already better than Ladd is...

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He wasn't last game.

And obviously the scouts for Team Canada at this years World Juniors didn't feel that Brule is already better than Ladd.

Brule is a center and Ladd is a winger. Drew only made that squad because of chemisty with Getzlaf - take it to the bank. He's had a crummy year statistically.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
The Giants are in the middle of a grinding 6 game road trip, and that game against the Hitmen was the 3 of 4. You saw Brule on an off game, so what.

I clearly indicated in my post that was a possibility. However that's two games now against the Hitmen that he's struggled. That's all I have to go on. Based on those two games he did not like a #2 overall pick. You don't have to defend the guy just because he plays for Vancouver.

And as I said in my post it looks like he struggled to fight through the checking of the bigger Hitmen players at times. That is a definite worry for the next level when players will be bigger and stronger. I know lot's of posters here love to think that size isn't a big issue but it certainly plays into things.

I don't have any sort of bias towards or against Brule. I'm just providing my opinion based on live viewings of him. Not everything posted here has to be positive hype around him. I knew some Vancouver fan was going to get their panties in a knot about my less than glowing review of him though.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Brule is a center and Ladd is a winger. Drew only made that squad because of chemisty with Getzlaf - take it to the bank. He's had a crummy year statistically.

Centres can be converted to wingers. The fact is that Brule did not receive an invite to the summer or December camps. Ladd attended both. Make whatever excuse for Brule you need but that doesn't change the facts.

Fehr, Stone and others had better stats than Ladd as well. They weren't selected either. Stats aren't everything.

edmontonfan

Jul 11, 2004
Edmonton
Your right. I do believe your opinion is based on watching Brule' twice. Right now he is playing with a seperated shoulder, and elbow that has to be operated on, at the end of the season, and a groin injury. You cannot analyse a player by observing them twice.

GUIDO OHASIS

i think brule is maybe a top 5 pick, he is lazy, has no hart, and skates kind of funny. if i were a gm i wouldn't take him over someone like ryan or zagrapan

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
So you're trying to argue that Ladd is a better CHLer than Brule? :lol

No. But in the two games I've seen of Brule in his draft year, he has impressed me less than Ladd did during his draft year. I thought that was obvious from reading my first post.

However one might argue your statement based on the fact that Team Canada did not take Brule. If Brule was as far ahead of Ladd as you seem to infer then I think he would have made the team or at least the training camps regardless of the fact he's a centre. But I'm not really interested in getting into a pissing match about Ladd vs Brule. Partially because I haven't seen enough of Brule to say and partially because I just don't really care. You're the one who seems to have a vested interested in hyping up Brule or defending him when someone reports on a game that he didn't do much in.

I was just scouting players and found it strange that Brule's play on ice hasn't matched up with the hype on here. The injury excuse may be a very good explanation for his play. The road trip one is not one that I put much stock into however. Good players don't disappear when a little adversity comes their way. That argument of yours was a clear attempt to excuse his average play.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Thanks allot for a very good response!

Another question, :) what kind of vision/style does Brule have? Is he a dynamic player who creates plays based on energy and pure skills, kind of like JR? (Or) Is he able to be a leader on the ice kind of like Koivu/Sakic where he contributes in all areas of the game, not only with the puck from the redline and in?

From what I´ve seen of him in small clips he certainly has great low balance, drive, nifty hand and a worldclass shoot. But what I really is wondering is what you guys who have seen of him thinks his potential will be. There really isn´t much room for 1-way offensive threats in the game today. Like I said from what I´ve seen in only a few clips of Brule it certainly looks like he has a offensive platform to build on to become a offensive force. But at the same time there are only a handful of players in the NHL today who can really contribute for their respective teams with that kind of style. If he falls short from becomming one of the 10-15 players who comes close to scoring a PPG in the NHL, will he still be valuble?

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Only posting because the two arguments against Brule in this topic so far seem kind of ridiculous.

Brule was playing in an international tournament during the summer training camp or else he would have been there. He was also acknowledged as the last guy to not be invited to the winter camp (radio interview on MOJO with Blake Price with I believe Blair Mackasey...).

Also, both times Vancouver has played in Calgary this season it's been the 5th game of a road trip. Back in November it was the 3rd game in 3 nights and the 5th game in 6 nights. Amazing that he might look off in those circumstances.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
edmontonfan said:
Your right. I do believe your opinion is based on watching Brule' twice. Right now he is playing with a seperated shoulder, and elbow that has to be operated on, at the end of the season, and a groin injury. You cannot analyse a player by observing them twice.

Careful. The "Brule is too small for the NHL" guys are watching. :D

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Where are people getting these injury reports on Brule? I know he is playing hurt, and it's something to do with his elbow, but where are people coming up with surgery and separated shoulder? I've not heard anything like that...

The Brule not being invited to camp because he is a centre argument does not hold water. There are always centres playing out of position on Canadian teams, and if you ask me, Brule looks like a perfect candidate to be converted to wing, especially when he reaches the NHL.

On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to compare Ladd and Brule based on WJs. Older players always have the edge because it is a 19 year old's tournament, and the need for the experience, strength and maturity that comes with age is emphasized because of that. Plus, Ladd is an 85, not an 86, so he is really two years older than Brule (birth month does not matter - I realize Ladd is Dec and Brule is Jan - it's years of hockey experience that matter). I would also agree with the argument that Ladd only made the team because of chemistry with Getzlaf, and add to that Sutter's familiarity with him from playing in the same division (familiarity was clearly a factor in Sutter's selection process).

To the original question: after watching Brule over the past two years, and I think my opinion is as unbiased as it can be considering I'm a Giants fan, I think he will have trouble living up to the hype. I don't think he'll ever be a dominant player in the NHL, and I think his size WILL catch up to him. He has a great shot and excellent hand eye coordination, but I think his skating might be slightly overrated. He's a very good skater, but I don't know that he has top flight NHL speed, which I think he needs to be a great offensive player at the next level. His passing and vision are decent, but he's really a goalscorer. His grit and determination will take him a long way, I think, but not past a very good second line player who can do everything. 50-60 points a season (if scoring stays similar to now) in his prime would be a success if he can become the well rounded player I think he can.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Greg7 said:
On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to compare Ladd and Brule based on WJs. Older players always have the edge because it is a 19 year old's tournament, and the need for the experience, strength and maturity that comes with age is emphasized because of that. Plus, Ladd is an 85, not an 86, so he is really two years older than Brule (birth month does not matter - I realize Ladd is Dec and Brule is Jan - it's years of hockey experience that matter). I would also agree with the argument that Ladd only made the team because of chemistry with Getzlaf, and add to that Sutter's familiarity with him from playing in the same division (familiarity was clearly a factor in Sutter's selection process).

Yeah right. :shakehead

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The fact is, Brule is 3rd in WHL scoring as a 17-year-old. He was far and away the best player at the Prospect's Game - the biggest game of his life. All this kid has ever done, at any level, is be an impact scorer. I've said it in other boards, and I'll say it again: Brule will become the prototypical "small forward" in the NHL. He will be what injuries kept Saku Koivu from being. He is significantly better than any other player in the draft not named Sidney Crosby. Johnson's a respectable No. 3.

For a 17-year-old to make the WU20 team nowadays is next to impossible. The only 17 year old to make the team in the last three tournaments is Crosby. If several 17-year-olds made the team this year, that would be a cause for concern. But Sutter went with almost all 19-year-olds. Remember how strong the 2003 draft was for Canadian forwards? Not one 2003-eligible forward was on Team Canada at the 2003 WJCs in Halifax. (Which probably cost us the tourney, because Staal, Horton and a couple others would have made a world of difference). Brule will be there as an 18-year-old, he'll lead the Dub in scoring next year, and he'll be a franchise player in the NHL. (Better, IMO, than Malkin).

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I have to agree with being underwhelemed.

I've watched Brule play against the Tigers twice, the Canes and the Rebels. He wasn't anything special.

I'm not saying that he ISN'T, but in those games he wasn't.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
God Bless Canada said:
The fact is, Brule is 3rd in WHL scoring as a 17-year-old. He was far and away the best player at the Prospect's Game - the biggest game of his life. All this kid has ever done, at any level, is be an impact scorer. I've said it in other boards, and I'll say it again: Brule will become the prototypical "small forward" in the NHL. He will be what injuries kept Saku Koivu from being. He is significantly better than any other player in the draft not named Sidney Crosby. Johnson's a respectable No. 3.

For a 17-year-old to make the WU20 team nowadays is next to impossible. The only 17 year old to make the team in the last three tournaments is Crosby. If several 17-year-olds made the team this year, that would be a cause for concern. But Sutter went with almost all 19-year-olds. Remember how strong the 2003 draft was for Canadian forwards? Not one 2003-eligible forward was on Team Canada at the 2003 WJCs in Halifax. (Which probably cost us the tourney, because Staal, Horton and a couple others would have made a world of difference). Brule will be there as an 18-year-old, he'll lead the Dub in scoring next year, and he'll be a franchise player in the NHL. (Better, IMO, than Malkin).

No he is not. In FACT he is 3rd in WHL behind a 17 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->