Gilbert Brule vs Andrei Kastitsyn

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
I think you forgot about Malkin too.. But I agree with you, Brule is so good. The habs should have drafted him, but it's too late now :cry:

Not at all, I prefer Brule to Malkin. I absolutely love Brule. He'd be the 1st overall pick for me in the majpority of drafts over the past decade+.

He leaves his heart out on the ice, never backs down from anyone, is developing extremely rapidly and his raw skill set is beyond reproach.
Injuries are the only possible question with him IMO.

GSK*

Not at all, I prefer Brule to Malkin. I absolutely love Brule. He'd be the 1st overall pick for me in the majpority of drafts over the past decade+.

He leaves his heart out on the ice, never backs down from anyone, is developing extremely rapidly and his raw skill set is beyond reproach.

Over a decade ?

97: Joe Thornton
98: Lecavalier
00: Dipietro
01: Kovalchuk
02: Nash
03: Fleury
04: Ovehckin
05: Crosby
06: Johnson

OMG, Brule is far behind of all those players, dude Rick Nash gonna made Brule this year, if Brule won Calder. Get over, Brule is good, he probably be a star in future if stay heathly, but he's no way a guys you pick 1st overall in the last decade. :shakehead

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I didn't know Brule was the second coming:shakehead

Next Best Thing*

HF made those ratings for the two over a year ago. Brule's stock has rised while Kostisyn's has dropped considerable. Brule is A LOT more than an 8.0B.

Ok either you HATE Kostitsyn or vastly overrate Brule. Yes, brule should be a 10A+ and Kostitsyn licking his boots, is that what you want hab fans to admit? Get the **** over it already, he's not even a Canucks prospect. And for the substance of my post, just HOW did Kostitsyn's stock drop considerably? You have no clue what you're talking about, he's a more complete player than he was drafted and I don't think he lost his offensive awareness.

You = :help: and :biglaugh:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
just HOW did Kostitsyn's stock drop considerably?

Well, in addition to not being to make the Russian league after he was drafted (a league a lot of Russian 1st rounders are drafted out as regulars), he stunk up the AHL his first year there. Then he doesn't make the Habs last season, puts up an OK season with second liner numbers... but Bob Gainey thinks so much of him that he acquires Samsonov and Mike Johnson.

Meanwhile, 2/3rds of the 1st rounders from his draft class were establishing themselves as NHL regulars in 05-06. So at least 20 (maybe more :dunno: ) 2003 draftees will come into training with a job locked up, but still not Kostitsyn.

In a young career ripe with so much failure, how has his stock not dropped considerably?

You've quoted a post complaining about his ranking at 8.5B or probable elite player or 1st liner. He's more like a 7.0C right now --> "Good god, I hope he even turns into something useful like a 2nd line winger!"

Last edited:

Greatguru

Aug 3, 2006
oh boy you out of your mind trent..

We all agree in here to say that European player need more time to adapt to North-American hockey right?When you say the 2/3rd of the 1st rounders are coming in next training camp with a job locked up? Ya right but didn't you notice that in this first round you talking about, only 5 Euro were drafted.. 2 are having a spot in the NHL right now: Zherdev and Vanek drafted respectively 4th and 5th. So they a part of the elite of the draft. Zherdev already had a spot already open in Columbus cause of their lack of offensive talent. Thomas Vanek really blossomed this year. End at this draft Kostsystyn was already consider a project that mean more time to make the nhl. So how come you can say taht is stock dropped cause he is slower than 2 Euro Player drafted in the top 5 and 24 other player that were already playing the north-america hockey style?

7.0 C a!A!A don't judge hf ranking i think they no more their thing than you.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If people here can be fair once in a while they stopped saying how the Habs missed this second coming and realize that he was picked #6. I don't think the Habs had the first 5 picks either.....

If you know that you're supposed star goalie could have some problems adjusting to this new league and you don't have any ''potentiel'' star goalies in the system what do you do??? Wait until the 2nd and later rounds to pick up a steal or pick immediately who you feel, but not only the Habs scouts but the majority of scouts in the league, could be you're probable starter for the next 10 years at least....No question that as a goalie, this guy has all the tools to make a big impact. Big frame, great positioning skills, great glove, fast legs. Need to be more consistant but I believe this will come with time. So how come we're not saying how talented Price is as well. Know it's not a comparison between Price and Brule but there was some threads about this as well and I still see, in this thread included, how the Habs missed by not picking him.....What about Ryan and Pouliot? How come Minnesota and Anaheim didn't make a mistake. If Brule is better than anyone, why can't he be better than Ryan or Pouliot????

If he keep listening to the majority of you, even Pittsburgh might have done a mistake.....

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
oh boy you out of your mind trent..

We all agree in here to say that European player need more time to adapt to North-American hockey right?When you say the 2/3rd of the 1st rounders are coming in next training camp with a job locked up? Ya right but didn't you notice that in this first round you talking about, only 5 Euro were drafted.. 2 are having a spot in the NHL right now: Zherdev and Vanek drafted respectively 4th and 5th. So they a part of the elite of the draft. Zherdev already had a spot already open in Columbus cause of their lack of offensive talent. Thomas Vanek really blossomed this year. End at this draft Kostsystyn was already consider a project that mean more time to make the nhl. So how come you can say taht is stock dropped cause he is slower than 2 Euro Player drafted in the top 5 and 24 other player that were already playing the north-america hockey style?

7.0 C a!A!A don't judge hf ranking i think they no more their thing than you.

... and Milan Michalek and Robert Nilsson. So 4 out of the 5 Euro's from that draft have NHL jobs right now.
They adapted just fine and remember; he couldn't make it in the Russian Super League at 19 either. A league Samsonov tore up at 17 years old and most Russian 1st rounders are playing in full time at 17-18.

He fell behind the pace long ago and that's why his stock has dropped. I'm seeing names dropped in these threads like Hossa and Naslund... well, they were in the NHL by now. :teach: Actually, Hossa had already put up a better season in the NHL than Kostitsyn did in the AHL last season by this stage.

He hasn't proven to be an elite player or even a 1st line player in either the RSL or AHL and he's 21 now. He's not going to be an elite player or 1st liner in the NHL! If he truly had that potential, he'd have done something productive with it by now.

Also, all this quoting "project" from his orignal scouting report... I get the feeling some fans are starting to read that as "he's really going to be a 40 goalscorer... disguised very well as a bust". But what is going to look like if he is a bust?

Last edited:

Greatguru

Aug 3, 2006
Michalek and Nilsson didn't had the impact on their team then Vanek and Zherdev. Nilsson didn't have a great production for someone who played 51 game most of the time on the 1st or 2nd line and he played thanks to injuries. Michalek struggled with is consistency having no clear sport on the top two pairing or low two. Michalek never put up great number in Euro Leagues or Ahl but still manage to have 38 point in his first season in the nhl. Why can't Ak do like him? Cuz he's habs prospect? lol They had the opportunity to play being the only elite prospect of their respective organization at that time. Kostsystyn didn't had their opportunity, he played 12 game on the 4th line at like 4 min a game and still manage to score 2 and get 1 assist. You are bashing him for not having a spot but didn't you notice that 3 Canadiens prospect(Plekanec, Perezhogin, Higgins) who were for a longer time in the system made the team this year? He had competiton from more experienced player and 2 other first round pick. What competition did Michalek, Zherdev,Nilsson,Vanek had? Don't base all what you say on the RSL cuz that mean almost nothing.

You can't call Ak a bust!!::eek: Mainly cause Ak is improving is number every year and he is improving in the things he was not really nhl-ready(defensive play, using his teammates) and damn he is 21!! You can'T call a bust at 21!!

Greatguru

Aug 3, 2006
He's not a bust, but he's not an elite prospect either. I'd say he's slowly developping into a second line player, but maybe not a really good one...

That's a bust for what they say his potential was when he was drafted..

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Ok either you HATE Kostitsyn or vastly overrate Brule. Yes, brule should be a 10A+ and Kostitsyn licking his boots, is that what you want hab fans to admit? Get the **** over it already, he's not even a Canucks prospect. And for the substance of my post, just HOW did Kostitsyn's stock drop considerably? You have no clue what you're talking about, he's a more complete player than he was drafted and I don't think he lost his offensive awareness.

You = :help: and :biglaugh:

Geez tear the guy apart for having an opinion (and a pretty accurate opinion at that). Kostitsyn has a higher rating than Brule and he basically just said he should and he's absolutely right, there is no way you can justify Kostitsyn having a better rating than Brule at this point.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Michalek struggled with is consistency having no clear sport on the top two pairing or low two.

I'm pretty sure he had a spot on the 2nd line for a majority of the year.

Why can't Ak do like him? Cuz he's habs prospect? lol

Oh please, everytime somebody doesnt love a Habs prospects, Habs fan's just say it's because people love to bash the Habs. Just keep telling yourself that.

They had the opportunity to play being the only elite prospect of their respective organization at that time. Kostsystyn didn't had their opportunity, he played 12 game on the 4th line at like 4 min a game and still manage to score 2 and get 1 assist. You are bashing him for not having a spot but didn't you notice that 3 Canadiens prospect(Plekanec, Perezhogin, Higgins) who were for a longer time in the system made the team this year?

What does having other prospects on the team have ANYTHING to do with Kostitsyn not making it? If he was better than those other prospects then he would play more than them. It would be MUCH harder for him to get more ice time on a better team like San Jose or Buffalo, who cares if Montreal has more prospects.

He had competiton from more experienced player and 2 other first round pick. What competition did Michalek, Zherdev,Nilsson,Vanek had?

Yeah you're right, Kostitsyn had more competition making a the 7th place team in the East than Vanek did on a very deep Eastern Conference Finalist team and Michalek did on the 5th placed team in the West.

You can'T call a bust at 21!!

This is the one part of your post that I can agree with.

Greatguru

Aug 3, 2006
Much tougher to have a spot on Buffalo? They were a very bad team before season 2005-2006 you can't argue with that.
The depth came this season with all the young guns (pominville,roy,vanek,gaustad). And if you say depth with San Jose you say it rain when it's sunny. Si if you didn't talk about Zherdev and Nilsson i'm right about their difference with AK. And when i said competition , I was talking of the number of spots for prospects available versus the number of prospect competing for it. When I said Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin( I could add Latendresse), i was talking about who he had to fight in training camp. Michalek, Zherdev had none, Vanek, Pominville, Gaustad,Roy had all a spots for them cuz there was NO depth in Buffalo at that time. I was not saying it was related to his playing time when he was call-up. He was not call-up to have a regular spot on the 2 top line( he saw some action on it tough) that's why he didn't get a lot of ice time. My point was that he still manage to had a good production for the ice time he got, he just not had enough time to get Michalek or Nilsson production taht got them so much respect from Trent.

AK didn't had the right place at the right time factor taht got Michalek, Vanek etc.. Having to fight other prospect more experience then him and in a team that you can't steal the spot of veterans, even the not very good ones. (Dagenais had a spot on the 2nd line at the beginning of the season and you can't argue taht Latendresse and AK were better then him.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
The depth came this season with all the young guns (pominville,roy,vanek,gaustad). And if you say depth with San Jose you say it rain when it's sunny. Si if you didn't talk about Zherdev and Nilsson i'm right about their difference with AK. And when i said competition , I was talking of the number of spots for prospects available versus the number of prospect competing for it. When I said Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin( I could add Latendresse), i was talking about who he had to fight in training camp. Michalek, Zherdev had none, Vanek, Pominville, Gaustad,Roy had all a spots for them cuz there was NO depth in Buffalo at that time. I was not saying it was related to his playing time when he was call-up. He was not call-up to have a regular spot on the 2 top line( he saw some action on it tough) that's why he didn't get a lot of ice time.

So the fact that Vanek was battling those young guys for ice time disproves your point. You're using that as an excuse for Kostitsyn but then when it comes to Buffalo you're saying they didn't have depth until these young guys came along and provided depth, but Vanek beat some of those guys out including many others who didn't make the team (Novotny, Paille, etc).

Greatguru

Aug 3, 2006
No i explicate that.. Novtny, Paille are not the same level of prospect then Pominville, Vanek and Roy not more then Higgins, Perezhogin, Latendresse.Vanek was not battling, he already stood-out being the only 1st round pick and the very elite of the trio. Hey i'm saying Vanek very good, a lot better than roy and pominville to my opinion. For the moment I would take him before Ak yes. My point was just that you can't discredi Ak comparing him to 4 Euros with a very different situation.

Last edited:

Next Best Thing*

Geez tear the guy apart for having an opinion (and a pretty accurate opinion at that). Kostitsyn has a higher rating than Brule and he basically just said he should and he's absolutely right, there is no way you can justify Kostitsyn having a better rating than Brule at this point.

What?

Yes I see you are defending your him but please don't have double standards. First off I was quoting that just to show how ridiculously obsessed he was, then I moved on to an other point unless you didn't notice. Everyone is saying Kostitsyn got WORST when he actually got better, improiving his defensive game and getting used to the atmosphere that is NA. Secondly, you are saying I dont respect his opinion, what about the HF writer's opinion? Who is he to tear them apart.

One more thing. This organization (Montreal Canadiens) cannot and will not play with a rookie heavy lineup; for us its playoffs above anything else it seems so we need plughole vets for some reason. The poster above me was very correct in saying that in the same year where Kost was supposed to get some games in the NHL for a taste (he got some, but hardly enough) we made a 180 degree swirl and graduated 3 prospects in Higgins Pleks and Perez. Until last season that was almost unheard of. In time we will get rid of pluggers like Bonk, Downey, maybe even Johnson. You're a hater like the rest because we are taking our time with Kost? Big deal if he didnt play regularly in the NHL yet, he will be even better after he matures some more; the habs brass are handling him well.

I remember people calling Komisarek a bust because at first he didnt make the NHL, then he didnt play enough minutes, then he was inconsistent in his own end, but look what a very promising defenseman he is turning out to be now. He's our future anchor and was labeled a blue chipper, just like Kost.

And we took our time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
What?

Yes I see you are defending your him but please don't have double standards. First off I was quoting that just to show how ridiculously obsessed he was, then I moved on to an other point unless you didn't notice. Everyone is saying Kostitsyn got WORST when he actually got better, improiving his defensive game and getting used to the atmosphere that is NA. Secondly, you are saying I dont respect his opinion, what about the HF writer's opinion? Who is he to tear them apart.

***, how do I have double standards? You never moved onto another point, look at your post and you will see you were just basically bashing him saying he didn't know anything and he needs help. The only way you "moved on" was by asking how Kostitsyn's stock dropped. Kostitsyn may have improved in this past year but news flash, HE'S SUPPOSED TO GET BETTER FROM YEAR TO YEAR. He just hasn't improved to the level a 10th overall pick with a ton of potential should have improved.

You're a hater like the rest because we are taking our time with Kost? Big deal if he didnt play regularly in the NHL yet, he will be even better after he matures some more; the habs brass are handling him well.

This "us against the world" attitude many Canadiens fan's take is quite comical. Calling me a hater just because I think Brule is better than Kostitsyn...:biglaugh:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
No i explicate that.. Novtny, Paille are not the same level of prospect then Pominville, Vanek and Roy not more then Higgins, Perezhogin, Latendresse.Vanek was not battling, he already stood-out being the only 1st round pick and the very elite of the trio. Hey i'm saying Vanek very good, a lot better than roy and pominville to my opinion. For the moment I would take him before Ak yes. My point was just that you can't discredi Ak comparing him to 4 Euros with a very different situation.

See, that's exactly my point. Vanek is better than the other prospects on Buffalo so he played. Kostitsyn is not better than the other prospects on Montreal so he did not play. Bringing up the point that he did not play just because there were too many other prospects were with the Habs is not a valid point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad