Gilbert Brule vs Andrei Kastitsyn

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
He has improved a big deal in the farm, much more responsible defensively but its not negociable, you have to play a smart 2 way game to crack the Habs line-up.. Kostitsyn is first and one a great offensive talent, he had trouble to use his linemates properly, had trouble to get himself in good posture without the puck but he improved a big deal in these areas last season.. I remember the kid coming alive only when the puck was on his stick, now he knows what to do to get it more often, be closer of the action giving some support for his linemates...

yeah thats true , I remember a game I watched against the Sabres , he was the first player to back check and was very good in his own zone .

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
I find it interesting that the ones who actually contribute to the evaluation of the players on the 'mothersite' of this board (hockeysfuture.com) have actually evaluated Kostitsyn as being superior to Brulé.

Kostitsyn is rated an 8.5B and Brulé is rated at 8.0B. That doesn't seem like much but it implies that Kostitsyn has the potential of being an 'elite' forward while Brulé is sloted as being a potential 1st liner. They're both given a B qualifier which means that both 'should reach potential' but 'could drop 1 rating' meaning that Kostitsyn could still end up being a 1st liner whereas Brulé will be a second-liner.

A year ago, Kostitsyn was rated a 9.0C meaning that he had an actual potential of being an elite player but could be, at worst, a 2nd liner. Kostitsyn has essentially stayed at the same rating level over the last three years. That stability indicates something solid.

That Kostitsyn is still playing in the AHL is likely due to the fact that he's had a harder time adjusting to the North American hockey setting whereas, for Brulé, it's part of the breast milk that he drank since his infancy. It's also likely a function of the fact that the Canadiens don't want to rush him into the bigs so as to burn him.
Am I sold on Kostitsyn? Yes... Do I see him as being a bust? No... Will he be a positive contributor to the team? I don't know... my name isn't God but all reasoned & unbiased indications are that he will.

Am I sold on Brulé? Yes... Do I see him as being a bust? No but, due to his Wendel Clark, Eric Lindros and Saku Koivu hard hitting style of play, I see him risking becoming a crippled and semi-effectual player in the not too distant future... Will Brulé be a positive contributor to his team? Again, I don't know and for the same reason as above but reasoned and unbiased indications are that he will.

Who would I choose for my team? Being a Canadiens fan, I don't have much choice there.

Who do I think will be better? Again and, as always, I don't know... much can happen over the next couple of years... much, much could happen... and, to be honest, I'm afraid for Brulé... I'm concerned for his health (as with Wendel Clark, Eric Lindros and Saku Koivu, etc...).

Last edited:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kostitsyn is rated an 8.5B and Brulé is rated at 8.0B. That doesn't seem like much but it implies that Kostitsyn has the potential of being an 'elite' forward while Brulé is sloted as being a potential 1st liner. They're both given a B qualifier which means that both 'should reach potential' but 'could drop 1 rating' meaning that Kostitsyn could still end up being a 1st liner whereas Brulé will be a second-liner.
QUOTE]

Which only proves HF's rating can be flawed at times. Kostisyn should be rated 8.0 C, Brule 8.5A.

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
QUOTE]

Which only proves HF's rating can be flawed at times. Kostisyn should be rated 8.0 C, Brule 8.5A.

and yours aren't flawed...? Yours are perfect...?

HF's ratings are based on the opinions of a number of varied contributors... yours are based on...?

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I'm a habs fan

Brulé without thinking.

It's not even close to being close

But I'd easily take the girl in your avatar over both...even both together...(that probably came out and sounded wrong).

And I feel bad for even saying that with my girlfriend in my avatar!

Last edited:

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I think its dumb to compare these 2 players , its like compare Apple with Orange ...

I like the apple better. But the orange has great upside, especially when he transforms his game into liquid.
Apple>Orange
Orange Juice> Apple Juice.

It all depends on your team needs really.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Kostitsyn's ceiling is unlimited, but he creates a ceiling with his questionable ethics. I say he will end up being a poor mans Marian Hossa.

Btw, i see Brule as a young Saku Koivu, based on skills, height and injury problems. One exception Brule is more of a scorer than Saku.

Mobbex

Jul 29, 2006
Montreal
Brule is a tremendous competitor with elite skills and mobility. The only knock on him as of now would be his numerous injuries, but much of these can be attributed to the fact that he was not physically ready for the NHL last fall. He is now older and more physically mature, and I think he will thrive in the new NHL. He has the potential to score over thirty goals a year he could rack up the assists if he plays with Nash. He is a solid young player with the potential to be great.

Kostitsin was touted as one of the best scorers of his draft year, and the habs were able to pick him up at 10th overall only because of health issues which have been dealt with. As we all know, he has a hard time adjusting to the professional game. He has an elite arsenal of shots, and i don't mean «fairly good», I mean elite. He also has excellent top speed but he is not explosive enough to be considered a speedster. He handles the puck well and he can dangle with the best of them, but thats only a peripheral aspect of his game which is obviously centered around his sick release. Poor hockey sense is what's holding him back, as he fails to get into the open space on a regular basis and has trouble picking his spot on defense. The only way to improve in this particular area is to play, and play a lot. He is only 21 years old, and therefore still has a lot of Hockey left in him. Consistent hard work would help though, as he would probably get more ice time if his coaches were convinced he could make a good use of it.

So here's how is stands: Brule is an up and comer who would already be considered a NHLer if he hadn't been hurt for the major part of last year, while Kostitsin is a long shot to ever make the NHL. I think its clear enough that these two players aren't in the same ballpark. Interresting thread though...

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
HF made those ratings for the two over a year ago. Brule's stock has rised while Kostisyn's has dropped considerable. Brule is A LOT more than an 8.0B.

Those ratings are updated every six months. The most recent ones are dated as of Feb, 2006.

In any case, this isn't a debate over the merits of hockeysfuture.com's rating of players. The point ot that is to say that other unbiased ratings people don't make the differential between the two as great as some in this forum do.

As I said in my 1st post on this topic, to make a definitive statement about the relative merits of both is fraught with uncertainty. Whereas Kostitsyn is still struggling with the North American game, Brulé doesn't have that challenge... he grew up with it. On the other hand, Kostitsyn's style will likely allow him to play longer in the league whereas Brulé's slam-bam style combined with his frame make him risk having a Neil Young-like burn out kind of career - he certainly won't rust away.

I refuse to make such ground shaking predictions about both of them. There's too many unpredictables to consider. The best I can do is to hope the best for both and, for biased reasons, REALLY hope the best for Kostitsyn.

Last edited:

Pascal

Sep 19, 2005
Montreal
If Andrei reaches his potential comparing these players won't be as laughable as half of you think it is. Comparing him to Marian Hossa is not a far stretch. Whether or not he reaches it is another story but I like Kostitsyn's potential better then I like Brule's. That being said, I would rather have Brule (safer bet)

agreed.

I also think Brule needs to change his game up a bit for the NHL or he'll end up injured all the time.

GSK*

I think Brule gonna OUTSCORE Kostistsyn this year, whitout a doubt if he play with LW Rick Nash and RW David Vyborny, and if he get the second line Powerplay time. They're 3 players who's drafted in 2005 and play NHL. Sidney Crosby, Gilbert Brule and Danny Syvret ( the other one was already drafted in 2003 draft). So, i think in real hockey life, Brule gonna get more brutal statstic then AK! But, just gave him a Michael Ryder and Mike Johnson like linemate, he doesnt gonna do more then Brule. The Habs have drafted Price just before him, and i got to admit, i was on edge to cry that evening, and when a look at this today, its not so bad, because we got enough Young Guns, who gonna be really good in future.

In true offensive skillz, AK is far behind, I mean he's like a Thomas Vanek or Marian Hossa ( not the 2-way sense of him), like the other says, but we can add the "tremendous stick handling and shifty move" of Alexander Ovechkin... I'm already thinking what guy you gonna say and bash me, doesnt matter.

But i didnt really see a spot for him this year, IMO we need to trade Ryder against a #2-3 d-men.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Perez-Plekanec-Johnson
Begin-Bonk-Murray

IMO, we don't need Bonk in the roster, but with his contract, its kinda hard to impossible to trade him, so we got to do with that. But i'm stick to the idea i'm afraid when i see Ryder with the puck, without the time he's in the slot or clutch whatever the word english people use, everywhere on the ice he's not good.

So i would take i chance to put Kostistsyn in the roster, first line, with Koivu and Higgins... At 21, I think he's ready, he got some difficulty in the AHL first year, but IMO Timmins did a mistake to sent him to the AHL before ( WHL,LHJMQ,OHL ) for his first year.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I always find it amusing who people can make such definite statements especially since most members of this board have not seen Kost play often. I also think that Brule has gotten alot of hype eminating from a widely viewed Memorial Cup. That being said, Brule was very fresh from a season of recovery and I did see a jump that others did not have.

I think that Kost has a physical and skill advantage.

Brule might be a more prototypical NHL player. A hybrid of high energy/ grit and skill.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
However, I think alot of people are going to be eating some major crow about Kostitsyn, and i'll be there dishing it out.

Well, I won't be holding my breath until that day comes or anything... but you can quote this if you like:

trentmccleary said:
Patrick Eaves was drafted after Perezhogin and Kostitsyn. He outscored them both combined last season... and will do so again this season!

Brule hands down.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I always find it amusing who people can make such definite statements especially since most members of this board have not seen Kost play often. I also think that Brule has gotten alot of hype eminating from a widely viewed Memorial Cup. That being said, Brule was very fresh from a season of recovery and I did see a jump that others did not have.

I think that Kost has a physical and skill advantage.

Brule might be a more prototypical NHL player. A hybrid of high energy/ grit and skill.

Have you ever seen Brule play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->