Gilbert Brule vs Andrei Kastitsyn

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Actually heh

Kostitsyn has improved his defensive game 900% in hamilton and he is used as a two way forward in some situations (Even see's PK time)
I don't know about "900%" but he has improved. He had nowhere to go but up, after all. I'd probably say he has gone from "abysmal" to "below-average" defensively. Consistency from game to game and shift to shift is a problem for him, and it shows in his defensive game too. If he focuses on it, he can play adequate defense. But that focus is hard to come by. For sure part of the development process in Hamilton requires him to see some SH time, and he can forecheck and can be a SH scoring threat at times when he does get the assignment. Obviously the Habs are going to force-feed him that opportunity to try to help him improve; they have so much invested in him it'd be crazy not to. But I don't think you could say he truly rated among the better defensive forwards on the team. Just getting the assignment doesn't necessarily prove it, in this case.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't know about "900%" but he has improved. He had nowhere to go but up, after all. I'd probably say he has gone from "abysmal" to "below-average" defensively.

Lol, thats why i said 900% Although below-average is a bit rough on the guy. I'd say slightly above average would be my take on his defensive ability.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What's next...Kostitsyn vs. Malkin?

What was the point of this thread, no one else but a few Habs fan would choose Kostitsyn. This is just some stupid post so fans from other teams can laugh at a few Habs fans, that's it.

Either way, Brule wins this IMO.

However, I think alot of people are going to be eating some major crow about Kostitsyn, and i'll be there dishing it out.

espo*

I'm a Habs fan but it's Brule all the way.And we could have had the guy and took Price.Man,Price better turn out to be a franchise goalie or what a gaff that pick will have turned out to be.If Brule can stand up to the physical pounding of the game he's going to turn into a very good nhl player.I'm sure that is the only question mark people have with him.

Price over Brule,big gamble.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Very easy, Brulé.

Some people want us to believe its close and talk about potential ceiling of Kostitsyn ? :biglaugh: The ceiling of Brulé is miles ahead of him.

Hum... potential might not be that far here... even if different type of players... but the probability for Brule to reach that full potential is WAY better than Kots

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004

What was the point of this thread, no one else but a few Habs fan would choose Kostitsyn. This is just some stupid post so fans from other teams can laugh at a few Habs fans, that's it.

Either way, Brule wins this IMO.

However, I think alot of people are going to be eating some major crow about Kostitsyn, and i'll be there dishing it out.

Agree

KBstyle

Aug 3, 2005
Brule is better but he will be dead in 4 yrs heheh.

I hope for him he doesn't injure again.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Brule by far.

But I do think people are making a mistake by underrating Kosty. He could easily be a 70-80 point guy in the NHL if he hits his potential.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON

That would still not be as absurd as the Brule / Crosby comparisons from a few years ago. Gilbert "I wish I was as good as Sydney" Brule was left in the dust by the Next One.

As far as I know Kostitsyn has never been compared to the one of two greatest players of the next 15 years.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Suffice to say I think Brule should have gone 2nd overall in 05' without any possible doubt. IMO's he is quite clearly better then Kostistyn is right now, and given that he's 2yrs younger as well then Kostistyn better improve massively and very quickly if he hopes to catch up to let alone surpass Brule.

I'd say Brule is better in absolutely every way and by a clear margin. Outside of Ovechkin and Crosby, there is no one in the last 3 drafts that I'd take over Brule.
He's as close to a sure-fire superstar, with a great work ethic, and extremely physical as there is amongst those that haven't yet played a full NHL season.
It's not a stretch to say I absolutely love Brule.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I'd say Brule is better in absolutely every way and by a clear margin. Outside of Ovechkin and Crosby, there is no one in the last 3 drafts that I'd take over Brule.
He's as close to a sure-fire superstar, with a great work ethic, and extremely physical as there is amongst those that haven't yet played a full NHL season.
It's not a stretch to say I absolutely love Brule.

I think you forgot about Malkin too.. But I agree with you, Brule is so good. The habs should have drafted him, but it's too late now :cry:

Randall Graves*

I'd say Brulé but I think people don't give enough credit to AK though...
What has he done to earn that credit? I can't believe there are people in this thread that think Kotsitsyn will be better, or think he has more potential...oh wait yes I can, this is HFBOARDS.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Brule is better but he will be dead in 4 yrs heheh.
I hope for him he doesn't injure again.

probably gonna end up brulé....... As for the thread, man this is lame, no way is it a sure thing like most are saying, Brulé looks injury prone, and even so, who says he'l reach out his potential? As for Kostytsin, the jury is still out on him, he has enormous potential witch is undebatabel, even if some do. If he would of chosen to go to London and learn to to play the north american game with people his age instead of Hamilton he would of been a far more attractive prospect then to what people see him to be. Look at Sergei, he played at 18 years old and ended being the most productive rookie, Andrei is 10x more talented at would of been 19... He wasn't drafted 10th overall in the deepest draft ever( at the time was steal cause some teams had him lower due to health problems that is now in the past)for his eyes. André Savard loves potential he knew he wa taking a high reward, high risk prospect in Kostytsin

someone said it

real:Brulé
potential: Kostytsin

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
probably gonna end up brulé....... As for the thread, man this is lame, no way is it a sure thing like most are saying, Brulé looks injury prone, and even so, who says he'l reach out his potential? As for Kostytsin, the jury is still out on him, he has enormous potential witch is undebatabel, even if some do. If he would of chosen to go to London and learn to to play the north american game with people his age instead of Hamilton he would of been a far more attractive prospect then to what people see him to be. Look at Sergei, he played at 18 years old and ended being the most productive rookie, Andrei is 10x more talented at would of been 19... He wasn't drafted 10th overall in the deepest draft ever( at the time was steal cause some teams had him lower due to health problems that is now in the past)for his eyes. André Savard loves potential he knew he wa taking a high reward, high risk prospect in Kostytsin

someone said it

real:Brulé
potential: Kostytsin

Andre's rights were owned by Medicine Hat Tigers. Perhaps it was a mistake to have him in Hamilton but perhaps he refused to play in the CHL since he was seeing some time in the RSL, maybe he felt he would see more time the next year in the RSL (at 19), so he would make a lot more money then playing in the CHL.

Either way I don't understand the point of this thread but it's all pointless anyways. Brule is a great prospect and it's very likely the Habs will be sorry they didn't pick him instead of Price but mistakes are nothing new. Personally I just hope Kostitsyn and Price among with our other prospects turn out to be solid players but of course most won't.

What has he done to earn that credit? I can't believe there are people in this thread that think Kotsitsyn will be better, or think he has more potential

Kostitsyn was 2nd on his team in scoring on a bad Hamilton team, and he was one of the youngest players on the team. Likely the Habs top AHLer last year. Yea nothing to write home about but I saw many of his games and at least he played a lot better as the season went on. For whatever reason he really looked bad early in the season, didn't seem like he wanted to work too hard but after the 2nd callup to the Habs he really turned things around in Hamilton, often running the PP. Still he's got a lot of work to do but the tools are there.

As for other credit, he's been a force at the junior level internationally. He had some big U-18 and U-20 tournaments and has been decent at the WC's. He was a hair under a goal a game average with CSKA-2 (25 in 27) back when he was 18.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Slapper? Yes, decidedly ... Have you seen Brule shoot? It's beyond laser

That's probably the only part of their game that is debatable IMO. Have you seen Kost's first goal? Joseph didn't even had the time to do something. No reason why it's clocked at 100 mph.

But outside of that it doesn't even deserve a thread, Brulé should have gone top 3 last year.

Baisleyens

Sep 12, 2005
What has he done to earn that credit? I can't believe there are people in this thread that think Kotsitsyn will be better, or think he has more potential...oh wait yes I can, this is HFBOARDS.

I never said AK was as good as Brulé. I have Brulé in my keeper league and believe me that I hope like heck he stays healthy.

It just seems that people get discouraged too quickly with Kostitsyn... but it's typical. Even if he'd had 100pts as a rookie people would still find something against him. We've been spoiled with rookies like Crosby and Ovechkin last year and we forget that there is a period needed for prospects in order to mature.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Brule's "ceiling" is a solid, buzzsaw like 2 Way Player that puts good points up on the board... like Darcy Tucker or Mike Peca with better offensive upside

Kostitsyn's upside is actually something similar to fellow Hab Alex Kovalev (though hopefully he'll be moulded to be more consistent).

The odds are much greater that Brule acutally reaches his full potential (Kostisyn definately has "bust" potential)... but I'd still say that Kostisyn has a higher ceiling. Because of this, I'll take Brule any day of the week.

Comparing Brule to the likes of Peca and Tucker is just......wrong. The guy's an offensive dynamo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad