Gilbert Brule and Andrej Meszaros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamesfaithful

Sep 22, 2004
Just watched the Hitman and Giants play and I gotta say, I've never seen a player look as invisible as Brule did on the ice last night. Just coasted around with only occasional bursts when the puck came near him, made some dumb passes, and generated nothing offensively. I've always read that he's a fierce competitor so seeing him as the most lazy uninterested player on the ice shocked me. Can anyone that who sees him regularly confirm that this was just one fluke game that he for whatever reason didn't show up for, cause he didn't look like he should be drafted before the fifth round last night.

On a brighter note I saw Meszaros for the first time and damn- looks like a guy that should have been taken in the top five last year, great shot, great passer, great skater, great hitter, smart player- he dominated at times.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
It was the final game of a 5 games in 6 days roadtrip (Medicine Hat, Swift Current, day off, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Calgary). I think fatigue may have been a factor.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
He's #3 of the WHL with 8g and 17a for 25pts in 18 games. He also have 56 PIM. He seem to be a great one. It's probably the Oveshkin/Malkin from the last draft...

One of those 18 games he got hurt and left in the opening minutes, so its basically 25 points in 17 games...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
One of those 18 games he got hurt and left in the opening minutes, so its basically 25 points in 17 games...

Will that be part of your argument as to why he should go before Crosby at the draft?

;) (J/K)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's nice to hear Meszaros is adapting to the physical style of play in the WHL so quickly and that his skills haven't been lost on the smaller ice.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Dr.Sens(e) said:
It's nice to hear Meszaros is adapting to the physical style of play in the WHL so quickly and that his skills haven't been lost on the smaller ice.

From what I've seen of him prior to his arrival to these gaudy shores (one game), his skills would and did translate definitely well on the smaller ice.

CH Wizard

Good , Brule is impressing me but He has to give us a impressive stats this season to keep his second rank on the draft.I know He isn't that big but He can still grow.He has tremendous potential.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I have to agree on Meszaros...how that guy went all the way down to Ottawa in a weak draft is unreal. I really wanted the Habs to grab him at 18 and nearly barfed when the Chipchura picked was announced. Thank god Chipchura has had a very solid start to the year because Meszaros looks like a potential gem and seems to have great potential.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Flamesfaithful said:
Just watched the Hitman and Giants play and I gotta say, I've never seen a player look as invisible as Brule did on the ice last night. Just coasted around with only occasional bursts when the puck came near him, made some dumb passes, and generated nothing offensively. I've always read that he's a fierce competitor so seeing him as the most lazy uninterested player on the ice shocked me. Can anyone that who sees him regularly confirm that this was just one fluke game that he for whatever reason didn't show up for, cause he didn't look like he should be drafted before the fifth round last night.

On a brighter note I saw Meszaros for the first time and damn- looks like a guy that should have been taken in the top five last year, great shot, great passer, great skater, great hitter, smart player- he dominated at times.

sorry you're so disappointed in Brule. It does happen that Brule has the odd off game. He plays a high energy game that takes a lot out of him. Don't think he can play the way he wants to play every night in a 5 games in 6 nights trip. He'll demonstrate what he can do when he has the energy. Don't think that what you saw of the Giants in Calgary is that team at their best, it was the Giants at their worst. Trust me you will see much better out of Brule and company in future games.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Flamesfaithful said:

I was at this same game scouting these guys as well, I always wanted to get a look at Schwarz and Fistric (not knowing Fistric was hurt) I was glad when Vancouvers 2nd stringer got the yank and Schwarz came in. Did not know he caught with his R hand. He had a good glove and made himself look big in the net although Im not sure he is too good at angling yet. The Pushkarev goal the entire right side of the net was open for it. This is all based off one performance though. As for Meszaros, wow he was very impressive, I have seen Barker play on a couple of occasions and I think this night Meszaros was better than either of the nights I saw Barker play, take it for what its worth but Meszaros made probably 2 dozen tape to tape outlet passes, many with only a split second to look over his shoulder before one timing a pass out of the zone. Very smart player and his point shot was very good, he adjusted nicely to some bad passes to get alot on a couple of them. As for Brule, he had one burst up the right side that led to a backhand and then the rest of the night he coasted and seemed to get frustrated near the end hooking a few calgary guys in an attempt to taunt them into possibly fighting.

Getzlaf I still think will project to be a 2nd liner at worst in the NHL based on his skill, he still is really lazy but he'll get to the dance just on his skill and pest attitude. I think alot of GMs like how he gets on other teams players nerves while usually keeping his own. Scored a beauty one timer from the point on a pp, top corner, never seen a guys hands go up faster, although from such a cocky kid what can you expect? This was the 6th time ive seen him play.

Ladd shouldnt have gone 4th overall by any stretch in my opinion, Ive only seen him play twice now but I have not seen much at all, he has a few tricks up his sleeve and a pretty nice wrister (almost caught Schwarz from a very bad angle, rung it right off the connection of the post and crossbar, nice shot) but other than that I have not seen much, hes not as lazy as Getzlaf though, I think he'll be a 2nd liner at best.

Schultz was invisble as well, cant wait to get Rogers back, he was impressive at the canada camps, as was Fistric (who I wanted to get a 3rd view at) Thats about all I took out of this game, other than one more analysis.

Saw Pushkarev play for the 2nd time, his energy is very good, he doesnt give up very easilly, hangs up a bit too much, has some moves but I dont know if he skates with his head down or just skates the wrong direction sometimes but Ive seen him get crushed like 5 times in the 2 games Ive seen him play. Hes got enough offence to be a poor mans samsonov with less speed, I still like him though, quite feisty and has fought on a couple occasions.

Anyone know about Merkley? I know hes eligble this year but whats his backround, he looked pretty natural last night with 3 goals in a period, mind you 1 was a breakaway and another an open net, still had to finish the plays and he did handedly.

Hoping to get out to a few more hitmen games and see setoguchi and some other draft eligble players for 2005.

Im just mad that you guys posted this thread though:( I went to this game almost only to scout meszaros, schwarz and Brule (as ive seen alot of the others) and what I saw of Meszaros had me come home and offer a trade for him in a keeper league:( Hopefully the GM I offered it to doesnt read HF boards lol, I dont think he does.

Safir*

Thanks guys the infos. Wow, I can't believe how lucky the Senators were that AM went all the way down. Feels good to be a Senators fan. lol

If you would need to compare him to a NHL player, which one would you choose? I know it's always difficult to judge, but please give it a try.:)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hey Eb0la, thanks for the info on Pushkarev. I have kinda high expectations of him :)

Divine Wind

Marc the Habs Fan said:
I have to agree on Meszaros...how that guy went all the way down to Ottawa in a weak draft is unreal. I really wanted the Habs to grab him at 18 and nearly barfed when the Chipchura picked was announced. Thank god Chipchura has had a very solid start to the year because Meszaros looks like a potential gem and seems to have great potential.

As an Oiler fan, i was hoping they woult have taken him at 14. I would have way prefered coming out of this first round with Meszaros/Shremp and drafted Glass or a another goalie in a later round. He is exactly what the Edm. org. needs prospect wise, A right handed PP QB that can play top 3 minutes. Would have complimented Lynch, Woywitka, and Greene very nicely as our top D prospects. Add them to Brewer, Semenov, and Bergeron and we would have looked very solid on the blueline in a couple years.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
As for Meszaros, just few days before draft he was projected to be selected by Anaheim at 9# (they opted for Smid, another d-man btw) so he definitely had the top 10 potential. Really don't know HOW he fell so far (and Valabik at 10#!)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Eb0la11 said:
As for Meszaros, wow he was very impressive, I have seen Barker play on a couple of occasions and I think this night Meszaros was better than either of the nights I saw Barker play, take it for what its worth but Meszaros made probably 2 dozen tape to tape outlet passes, many with only a split second to look over his shoulder before one timing a pass out of the zone. Very smart player and his point shot was very good, he adjusted nicely to some bad passes to get alot on a couple of them. As for Brule, he had one burst up the right side that led to a backhand and then the rest of the night he coasted and seemed to get frustrated near the end hooking a few calgary guys in an attempt to taunt them into possibly fighting.

Meszaros has a big step on the rest of the players in the CHL in terms of experience playing the entire season last year in a mens league and even getting some ice time in the Slovak men´s national team.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Dr_Gonz0 said:
He is exactly what the Edm. org. needs prospect wise, A right handed PP QB that can play top 3 minutes. Would have complimented Lynch, Woywitka, and Greene very nicely as our top D prospects.
We had this discussion on the Sens board about whether or not he was RH or LH. There were various scouting reports that indicated he was RH and some that he was LH. A sharp eyed fan found a picture of him holding a LH stick. He is now listed as a LH shot on the team roster. Not that it detracts from his abilities.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
Flamesfaithful said:

I watched the Giants take on the Broncos last week and I have to admit that Brule didn't look all that special either. Good - yes. But not a projected first overall pick that's for sure. He did set up some chances and he did pot a geno. But overall he looked a bit sluggish and lazy. Meszaros looked good as everybody else confirmed and so did Redenbach. Actually Redenbach was probably the best player on the ice. But as for Brule, maybe I caught him on an off night as well, but he sure didn't stick out at me.

Flamesfaithful

Sep 22, 2004
Eb0la11 said:
Getzlaf I still think will project to be a 2nd liner at worst in the NHL based on his skill, he still is really lazy but he'll get to the dance just on his skill and pest attitude. I think alot of GMs like how he gets on other teams players nerves while usually keeping his own. Scored a beauty one timer from the point on a pp, top corner, never seen a guys hands go up faster, although from such a cocky kid what can you expect? This was the 6th time ive seen him play.

Ladd shouldnt have gone 4th overall by any stretch in my opinion, Ive only seen him play twice now but I have not seen much at all, he has a few tricks up his sleeve and a pretty nice wrister (almost caught Schwarz from a very bad angle, rung it right off the connection of the post and crossbar, nice shot) but other than that I have not seen much, hes not as lazy as Getzlaf though, I think he'll be a 2nd liner at best.

Schultz was invisble as well, cant wait to get Rogers back, he was impressive at the canada camps, as was Fistric (who I wanted to get a 3rd view at) Thats about all I took out of this game, other than one more analysis.

Saw Pushkarev play for the 2nd time, his energy is very good, he doesnt give up very easilly, hangs up a bit too much, has some moves but I dont know if he skates with his head down or just skates the wrong direction sometimes but Ive seen him get crushed like 5 times in the 2 games Ive seen him play. Hes got enough offence to be a poor mans samsonov with less speed, I still like him though, quite feisty and has fought on a couple occasions.

Anyone know about Merkley? I know hes eligble this year but whats his backround, he looked pretty natural last night with 3 goals in a period, mind you 1 was a breakaway and another an open net, still had to finish the plays and he did handedly.

Hoping to get out to a few more hitmen games and see setoguchi and some other draft eligble players for 2005.

Im just mad that you guys posted this thread though:( I went to this game almost only to scout meszaros, schwarz and Brule (as ive seen alot of the others) and what I saw of Meszaros had me come home and offer a trade for him in a keeper league:( Hopefully the GM I offered it to doesnt read HF boards lol, I dont think he does.

I see almost every hitman game, and you're right about Ladd. The guys a hard worker, but in my opinion has yet to show the skill to merit a fourth overall selection. He's a good finisher, but I think second line at best would be a good projection, I'd say a third line player who works hard every shift, and keeps the other team on their toes because he can bury it off a turn over. I also agree with you on Getzlaf. Been a huge fan of his for years (though it's hard since you just wanna hit that dumb pesky smile of his). He really does look much lazier than last year, but whenever he decides to turn it on he's got the most unbelievable skill set, the shot, his (in my opinion) unrivaled puck handling ability compared with anyone I've seen in the whl, his confidence and smarts, and of course he's 6'4. The only thing you can criticize him on is overall quickness, just needs to develop a more explosive first couple steps to beat opponents to the puck. In regards to Merkley, he's really looked like he's coming in to his own in the last couple weeks, that open net shot you refered to was because he beat the goaltender with a quick deke. He appears to have some hands, speed and he works and checks really hard (Calgary assigned him to Brule most of the night). He's also got good size at 6'3 so although he still has a lot prove with whether he can score at the next level, he looks like a solid prospect. You mentioned Schultz, and he is a pilon, although he makes excellent passess. Either way Rogers is the much better player, faster, good puck handling ability, more physical, and seems to have a lot more confidence this year. Anyway, that's my scouting report on a few Hitmen. Not that I have the credentials to write such a thing.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Flamesfaithful said:

To be honest, I thought considering the Giants were down and out pretty much the whole game, Brule was quite fiesty. In a blow out like that, it's easy for the team that is on the recieving end to sit back and coast the rest of the game....but watching Brule in the third, he was skating hard, throwing hits, slashing and whacking....looked pretty competitive too. The Giants didn't really show up at all that game so it was hard to really take notice of anyone....On Meszaros's play, I was quite impressed....He is a big boy, and he can throw his weight around with the best of the them....silky smooth skater, smart, heady guy who makes tape to tape passes with ease....solid all around d-man...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad