Gibson or Andersen in 2018/19?

ScaryButtman

May 15, 2018
Vancouver
John+Gibson+2016+NHL+Awards+Press+Room+_VGkFNP1ctSl.jpg

Hey everyone!
Kinda new to the board but I already feel quite at home here. Been a massive hockey fan my whole life and never knew you guys existed until the other day! Thank God I've found this place.

Anyways, I have this fantasy conundrum that I've been battling with ever since the fantasy season ended. I have one more spot on my keeper roster for a goalie and I'm stuck between Andersen (Maple Beefs) and Gibson (Not So Mighty Ducks). Stat categories for goalies in my pool are GAA, SV% and Wins.

I think that Gibson is a better goalie but the Leafs have such a promising future (sorry, I almost puked while I was typing that). It's a tough spot to be in!

Any thoughts?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Leafs team is young and on the rise... Anaheim team is aging, and their window is closing by each year. I feel like the safe bet is Leafs. Anaheim could surprise and suddenly have a resurgent season like Boston... but even still, the Leafs weren't far off Bostons surprise season and their youth should only get better.

Reactions: ScaryButtman

ScaryButtman

May 15, 2018
Vancouver
Andersen for me. Gibson misses too many games due to various injuries.

True. Good point. Even still, if you look at this season, their wins are pretty similar given games played. Anders won 38/66 and Gibson 31/60.

Leafs team is young and on the rise... Anaheim team is aging, and their window is closing by each year. I feel like the safe bet is Leafs. Anaheim could surprise and suddenly have a resurgent season like Boston... but even still, the Leafs weren't far off Bostons surprise season and their youth should only get better.

I think you're right about the Leafs as a whole. They're on the rise, the Ducks on the decline. My only concern is Andersen himself. His play is spotty at best and there have been a lot of question marks about him. Does he make that leap to the elite level in the next couple of years when he's surrounded by better D? If Gibson can stay healthy, I think he might have the edge. Keep in mind the stats for my league are GAA, SV% and Wins. I don't think the Ducks are so much in decline that they fall out of the playoff race. So now the question is, who is the better goalie? If I'm getting the wins from Andersen but suffering in the other 2 categories, it's not really worth it.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'll take Andersen for many of the same reasons brought up already but in 365 days from now Gibson could be coming off a season where his body held up to the grind of a 60+ game starter while Freddy has 50 game year due to injuries

its a close one

ScaryButtman

May 15, 2018
Vancouver
Goalies rely so heavily on the team so I'd say Freddy. Gibson is better but Leafs are on the rise, Ducks are on the decline.

Even though the Ducks have a far superior D core? They tend to let in fewer goals than the leafs (GA per game for TO this year was 3.29 and ANA was 2.82)
I mean, I clearly like Gibson more here and am trying not to agree with the fact that the better choice is Andersen haha. But with the specific stat categories of my pool (GAA, SV% and Wins) I'm wondering who will help me win sooner. Is Andersen going to make a big jump next year?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I more look at whether a team is on the decline or up swing. GAA or Save % won't be a huge difference over a full season and doesn't make a drastic difference. Wins make a big difference though.

Also yes I think he'll be better. He was so bad at the start of the year last year.

For what it's worth, in one of my keeper leagues I have top tier goaltending nearly every season and never go into a year with same goalies. I make predictions for their team. It's why I sold Price last summer despite him being elite.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Even though the Ducks have a far superior D core? They tend to let in fewer goals than the leafs (GA per game for TO this year was 3.29 and ANA was 2.82)
I mean, I clearly like Gibson more here and am trying not to agree with the fact that the better choice is Andersen haha. But with the specific stat categories of my pool (GAA, SV% and Wins) I'm wondering who will help me win sooner. Is Andersen going to make a big jump next year?

I think you confused the GAA and the GFA. Goals against for the Leafs was 2.82 or 12th in league, Ducks GAA was 2.55 , 3rd in league. Interesting as good as Andersen was for the Leafs this year, Mcillerney has a better GAA.

ScaryButtman

May 15, 2018
Vancouver
I more look at whether a team is on the decline or up swing. GAA or Save % won't be a huge difference over a full season and doesn't make a drastic difference. Wins make a big difference though.

Also yes I think he'll be better. He was so bad at the start of the year last year.

For what it's worth, in one of my keeper leagues I have top tier goaltending nearly every season and never go into a year with same goalies. I make predictions for their team. It's why I sold Price last summer despite him being elite.

Good to know! Thanks for the advice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad