Giancarlo Stanton Trade Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
my guess is to washington and people will wait anxiously on a bryce harper trade

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
No doubt it will be the Red Sox. They desperately need him and one of the few teams that can realistically take on the risk that is the length of that deal.

It's the lock of the off-season IF he is traded.

Bradley goes somewhere else, they empty the farm, Miami eats cash or has to take back Rusney Castillo (maybe both).

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
my guess is to washington and people will wait anxiously on a bryce harper trade

I don't see him going in the division which is why despite having nobody on the payroll I don't believe Philly has any shot at him.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
it will be the red sox and dombrowski will trade either benintendi or betts as well as anything else of value that isn't nailed down. rubes who want teh powah are placated.

just hoping devers is still on the team next year.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Could totally see him on the Red Sox. Would make sense my favourite player going on my most hated team, like Lindros did to the Leafs.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'd really like the Cardinals to be involved but thats about as doubtful as getting rid of Matheny.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The Cardinals will be involved and if they don't get Stanton, wouldn't be surprised if they get Yelich or Ozuna instead. Derrick Goold has really been pushing the Cards' interest in all 3 of Florida's OFs.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I hope he is traded, and I'm not even really that picky where (unless he winds up in the AL west and spends the next few years railroading the M's but whatever).

I know why he signed the deal in the first place, but it always annoyed me that he agreed to that contract. It was a huge amount of money, for sure, with that get out clause for cheap Loria and his little minion Samson. I would have just loved for Stanton to run his deal down and walk for free (or whatever miniscule package the Marlins could have gotten for him) just to serve that tightwad bastard for years of crappy ownership.

I know its a new ownership group and all, but the perhaps unfair impression of them being a franchise that doesnt deserve a player like that has already hardened in my mind.

To LA for a package with Puig.

I always thought this was a likely scenario. He's from there. He has a massive contract. The Dodgers have young talent and piles of money to happily pay that contract. It makes alot of sense a few years ago when they were still feeling their way through building a team. But now, after being one win away from a WS with the talent they got, would the Dodgers make a franchise altering trade like that?

Reactions: Voight

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I mean, Stanton's contract is the biggest in MLB history (for now). How much money do the Marlins realistically have to eat to get a legitimate return?

Like I said earlier in the thread, it wouldn't surprise me if the Marlins took something like a C prospect for another team to take Stanton's entire contract. That would be really dumb, obviously.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I mean, Stanton's contract is the biggest in MLB history (for now). How much money do the Marlins realistically have to eat to get a legitimate return?

Like I said earlier in the thread, it wouldn't surprise me if the Marlins took something like a C prospect for another team to take Stanton's entire contract. That would be really dumb, obviously.

Sure he's owed a literal boatload but he is certainly worth it. Its a lot of money to commit too but players like him aren't always available.... either you trade for him or wait and try your luck with Harper/Machado.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I would not at all be surprised if he's dawning a Fish jersey to start the season. He's still owed $300 mil! on that crazy backloaded contract.

That means the return they are going to get for him is very slim. Marlins don't want to eat any money they are trying to get rid of him to shed money. So Stanton is almost a cap dump despite being an elite player because of that contract.

Is Jeter really gonna just 'give away' the face of the franchise to start his tenure? How will the fans feel about giving away Stanton in a cap dump for a few meh prospects?

Reactions: GarbageGoal

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It would be smarter to sit back and wait. Let someone get desperate and throw prospects up the wazoo around. It'll happen.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad